Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lipo or nimh replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? lipo or nimh replacement.

Just ordered my son an exceed brushed drift king.

It comes with a 7.2v 1800mah nimh but dont know if it comes with a charger.

Ive read the included batterypack doesnt last long so looking for a replacement.

Wondered if a lipo would be the way to go.
Can anyone recommend any good batteries that will work with this setup, and a decent charger. The cheaper the better...
thanks

Last edited by deezdrama; 01-07-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone.....?

I need to order a charger and battery so he can use it when i give it to him but have no clue if i can go with a lipo. Ive read about people using 2 cell 3000mah lipos but also read something about needing a low voltage alarm so you dont discharge the battery to much which isnt good for lipos.

Any ideas?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What speed control (brand please) is in the car? Does it have a Lipo safety cutoff setting (check your ESC manual)? If so, I would suggest getting a Lipo or even a LiFe (depending on your son's age). Lipo batteries can be dangerous if they are not charged, used properly. LiFe is a safer alternative to a Lipo.

There are many chargers and batteries out on the market. Is there a hobby shop is close proximity to you? If so, I would check them out. If not, go on line and check Hobbyking for cheap chargers and batteries. Be warned, the quality isn't always there when you buy on the cheap.

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 01-07-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would go lipo if your esc supports the low voltage cutoff. I think the esc that comes in those is a hobbywing and should have a low voltage cutoff.
The problem with a lipo is that if they are over discharged you will damage the cell. The cutoff will shut it down when the esc reaches that voltage keeping you from damaging you batteries.
I know when I was a kid it could be hard to stop when it slowed down... I remember running those old batteries until it just wouldn't move any more.

A good charger goes a long way with this hobby. Most chargers that will charge a lipo will also charge a nimh battery.
My recommendation would be to get something that will do lipos and if you want to hold off on actually using lipos for a while that's fine.
Eventually you will end up wanting to go to lipos and you won't have to buy another charger.

I think a 2100 to 2200 mah 2 cell lipo should fit. It might be worth taking it to a local hobby shop to double check.

As far as chargers go something like this might be a good idea.
http://www.amain.com/venom-pro-2-ac-...harger/p258934
Most local hobby shops should be able to get them or something like it. For 50 to 60.00 it will charge any battery you might need. It also plugs directly into the wall. Some chargers need a separate power supply and you probably don't need that extra confusion or expense.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I stick with NIMH for my kids stuff. He fried a lipo pretty bad in the garage.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah... i think ill just stick with nimh for him.
It comes with an 1800mah pack....
I want to get him another spare battery that lasts longer.
will any mah rating 7.2v nimh work?
Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deezdrama
Yeah... i think ill just stick with nimh for him.
It comes with an 1800mah pack....
I want to get him another spare battery that lasts longer.
will any mah rating 7.2v nimh work?
yes. Make sure the plug is the same or order yourself the correct plugs and switch them out.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by samnelso
yes. Make sure the plug is the same or order yourself the correct plugs and switch them out.
Ok.... this exceed uses the "bannana" style connector.
Is bannana connector the official term to use when searching for a batt or is it called something else?

edit..... found it....4mm bullet
Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

I found some blue geilienergy 3800mah batts for $10ea
but they have tamiya connectors.

They have tamiya to bannana adapters for cheap but dont know if i need a male or female tamiya end ...and male or female bannana end?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Female will be on the battery... so you will neex MALE Tamiya to 4mm bullets... or you can take the Tamiyas off and install bullets...
Old 01-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Female will be on the battery... so you will neex MALE Tamiya to 4mm bullets... or you can take the Tamiyas off and install bullets...
Ok thanks. The adapter I ordered has male tamiya to bannana. Glad I got the right one.

Anyone have a recommendation for the cheapest most basic lipo/nimh charger?

Are those tenergy smart ac chargers any good?
Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I love the XT60 connectors. The battery he fried was a racing lipo with the push in style bullets. He reversed the polarity. Let's just say he's no longer allowed near my racing packs.

I would steer clear of banana plugs for kids. The less opportunity to screw up.

I would find a basic charger and solder the right plugs on.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by deezdrama
Ok thanks. The adapter I ordered has male tamiya to bannana. Glad I got the right one.

Anyone have a recommendation for the cheapest most basic lipo/nimh charger?

Are those tenergy smart ac chargers any good?
Turnigy accucel6 with a 6 amp power supply will be all the charger you need unless you get into 1/8 scale and need to charge bigger batteries.

Good choice not going lipo. In my experience lipos destroy brushed motors. It does give you an excuse to get a brushless system though
Old 01-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03
Turnigy accucel6 with a 6 amp power supply will be all the charger you need unless you get into 1/8 scale and need to charge bigger batteries.

Good choice not going lipo. In my experience lipos destroy brushed motors. It does give you an excuse to get a brushless system though
I was looking at a charger very similar to this... it was called an imax 6 I believe.
Anyone heard of it- looks the same but could be an inferior clone I guess.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Teamhotrods
I love the XT60 connectors. The battery he fried was a racing lipo with the push in style bullets. He reversed the polarity. Let's just say he's no longer allowed near my racing packs.

I would steer clear of banana plugs for kids. The less opportunity to screw up.

I would find a basic charger and solder the right plugs on.
Ill stress it to him to watch that he aligns red with red and black with black.
It will do for now but when I order mine and start tinkering im sure ill swap them all over.... im just going to stick with these cheap $10 ebay 3800mah batts for him solang as they are decent enough. If they are I might order him a couple more.

So if I get a charger like the Turnigy Accucel or imax 6 .... I assume this is a charge one battery at a time charger- but what would the charge time be on a 3800mah bat? isnt it the mah rating divided by charger amperage to find the charge time?

Sorry for all the questions- its just a bit overwhelming to understand it all when starting out, I like to have the general knowledge needed before jumping into hobbies or projects so....