Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Spec-R R2 share thread >

Spec-R R2 share thread

Spec-R R2 share thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Butler02
Do you run on carpet or asphalt? can you post your setup? I'll be getting my R2 out for it's maiden run this weekend!
I'm run on a asphalt track, here is the video of me run my R1 on that track, the white one in 1st, the 2nd also R1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lk73GZA5o4

Setup:
Down-stop: F6/R5
Roll-bar: F1.4/R1.4
Ride height: F4.8/R5
Camber: F2/R2.5
Toe angle: F toe-out 1.5/ R toe-in 2
Shock: 35 associate
Spring: F3.0/ R2.9
Old 02-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Just install some options on the R2, with Blitz body/ Lrp 6000 battery/ RI tire.
Weight is 1333g

Spec-R R2 share thread-img_2020.jpg

Spec-R R2 share thread-img_2021.jpg

Spec-R R2 share thread-img_2022.jpg

Spec-R R2 share thread-img_2023.jpg
Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mine should be here today....Cant wait. Nice looking car.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've had my R2 out for two race days now, and I like it!!
I was having some setup problems on the first day, trying to get it all dialed in. I was using Gravity type C tires which weren't giving me enough rear bite. I tried changing toe, roll centre, shock positions, droop, but no matter what the change I still had alot of over steer, mostly mid to exit. This car has a lot more steering than my previous touring car (S1/R1 hybrid) and because of the way I set up the ackerman, it's much much more responsive on centre. I had to put some expo in the controller and dial back the dual rates to make it a little easier to drive. I ended up breaking a left c-hub. So now bth C-hubs have been switched from the hard ones to the normal ones.
Day two I changed the rear roll centre and experimented with tires. I switched out the Gravity tires for Team Powers 26's. With no other setup changes, these tires gave me the exact opposite problem. I had ridiculous under steer on corner entry, especially at the end of the straight, and the rear was planted. From the TP's I put on a set of Sorex 28R with harder inserts. Again with no setup changes between tires, the car suddenly felt great! Almost neutral but with a touch of over steer occasionally, the car felt fast and predictable. These tires with the hard inserts were causing me to scrub alot of speed in the corners though, I had too much grip. I built a set of Sorex 28's with the standard blue insert and all my troubles disappeared! The car still felt like it was glued to the track but I wasn't losing speed in the corners. I should have known better and used Sorex from the start since this is what I ran on my other car. I managed to match my personal best 6 minute time, match my best lap time repeatedly through that heat, and even beat it twice! I even managed to take the B main to bump to the A!
I'm very impressed with this car. While the changes between the R1 and R2 seemed minor to me, they have clearly made the car better. The steering is more responsive, the car feels solid, predictable. This car allowed me to follow a much tighter line over my old car and made me feel more confident. Once I get used to the way it drives, I think I'll see a significant improvement in my lap times and consistancy.
I'll share my setup in the learnsetup.com app this week if anyone wants it. I put my starting setup in there and gave my thoughts on it after day one.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Tech Initiate

sounds good! did u try to screw and unscrew the upper deck of those optional holes?
the pole that between the steering and upper deck, it's make big different in screw/unscrew/ screw with a pin or remove that pole.

any more information or photos about the race?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that! I originally started with the brace on the steering and the screw in the centre of the rear brace. That didn't last long. I took them both out. On my previous car I only had one pin on either side of the lay shaft mount.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Just back from TITC and have some rest, we've good experience in TITC 2015, especially the 2 new options: Upper Deck Pivot Ball Floating System and the Floating Steering Conversion Kit, both were working really well in the high speed track like RC addict!

let's check out some photos,cheers
Spec-R R2 share thread-addict-b.jpg

Spec-R R2 share thread-addict-e.jpg

Spec-R R2 share thread-r2-titc.jpg

Spec-R R2 share thread-r2-rirc-up.jpg

Spec-R R2 share thread-r2-titc-sm.jpg
Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone have a set of 4 R2 lower bulkheads they want to sell ? Spr-r2a133. Pm if so.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'd say that is unlikely as r2 bulkheads not compatible with anything else.

Wish we had big tracks like this here vut I'm pleased to say my rsd chassis r2 is working super great on crc carpet.
Playing with some team xray guys this week and Getting close to a good setup for medium/ high grip 100x42
Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

They will be mounted to a R2 chassis. I enjoy racing on our large track compared to our indoor small carpet track. We really get some good speed down the straight ! With the R2 I have everything I need to start bulding my R2 except the lower bulkheads. I may have saved half the cost of buying the kit but Spec R unfortunately has been a huge disappointment with there stocked parts. Im to the point of giving up on Spec R and going with a big name brand !

Last edited by rtenzo02; 10-29-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I recently started building an R2, only concern I have is the diffs... has anyone tried swapping them out with other brands yet?
Old 11-18-2015, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
I recently started building an R2, only concern I have is the diffs... has anyone tried swapping them out with other brands yet?
I've had no issues with my diffs. For build tips you'll want to push the bearings in the rack through a plastic sandwich bag. Otherwise there is a decent amount of play with the bearing in the rack. I also drilled the shock caps and the shocks built easier. They all also had a more consistent feel between them. Lastly I switched the ball cups out to the Tamiya ones. They also had a lot of play and liked to pop off easily. It's a great car right out of the box with the stock set up, you should be pleased with it.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i run a 4.0 or 4.5 in my r2 quite often with all the timing indoors and out.. ive had no problems with reliability of my difs or any leaking.
i will say the R1/t3 dif is nicer and probably lighter. the gasket is much much much easier to do deal with than the oring of the hd dif. I replaced one of the sets of bearings with shock orings cause 4 bearings was kind of silly.

however, once you have the hd dif assembled and in the car. its absolutely trouble free.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I was a bit frustrated with my first day of racing this car. My rear diff leaked all over the chassis and made a big mess plus the diff just felt too tight (even after it was empty). It took me 4 tries before I finally got lucky with getting that annoying rubber o-ring diff seal to properly seat in place. I had to spend about 20 minutes stretching it out and eventually got it to stay in place with some green grease. I think the seal kept popping out of place and would bind with the planetary gears, but now there's no leak and diff is buttery smooth. All I can say is that I'm definitely NOT looking forward to rebuilding this diff anytime soon

As far as handling/performance goes, the car is a dream to drive and no regrets buying it.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It's actually a really good diff. Their diffs are used on many other chassis' also as Spec R has them available. This diff is much better than their earlier versions, believe it or not.

I ran my R2 for a season of practice and race without rebuilding it. It only started to seep at the end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.