Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ETCv1

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by V12
It seems the ball-pivot suspension isnīt working as smooth as the conventional system used by the TC3 or XXX-S. It generates less grip as well. I know this from a factory driver who is trying different systems on the same chassis. I think itīs not a problem with nitro cars as these use foams with much more grip. With the rubber tires on electric cars itīs a bigger difference.
I had one of the Ofna cars with the ball-pivot suspension for one year and I never got this thing to work as I wanted. Now I have both the TC3 and the XXX-S and I never would go back.
Is that why the XRay works so well?

The car looks great! Mid motor, pivot balls (which do work fine - would LOVE to have pivots on my TC3. . .) all carbon, alum threaded shocks, bearings all around. . .

Interesting. . .. .
Old 10-09-2002, 01:44 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, pivot ball it's probably the reason why the Xray works so well and if you remember right it was the best thing since sliced bread (the pivot ball suspension, I mean)

In my country, 2 GM/OFNA are consistently in the top 5.
I drove one of them and I didn't found the drive system to be bad or the suspension working badly. As a matter of fact, the car was so well tuned that it was one of the best cars I ever drove.

This car (Robi) has all the ingredients to be a excellent car. Adjustability and drag free transmission.

I guess that racer preferences go in circles (kind of like fashion...remember the 70's?? ) .

Before the TC3 started this winning streak everybody was considereing cars with pb suspension. Now all of a sudden everyone likes to change C hubs and fixed rear toe

Last edited by antoniop; 10-09-2002 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Boomer
Is that why the XRay works so well?
Hmmm, is pivot ball so well? XRay've just released an aluminum c-hub suspension options set, complete front and rear ....

http://www.team-orion.ch/global/global_news.asp?id=1450

I haven't tried an XRay though, but it makes one wonder....
Old 10-09-2002, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

What ever the case maybe. I want this car,as long as the price is right. Cool design it will look nice next to my xray and other cars.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Hmmm, is pivot ball so well? XRay've just released an aluminum c-hub suspension options set, complete front and rear ....

http://www.team-orion.ch/global/global_news.asp?id=1450

I haven't tried an XRay though, but it makes one wonder....
I have two Xrays and one of them has the C hub conversion. If u ask me they behave just like each other. I mean that i am as fast with one as I am with the other.
So...
Old 10-09-2002, 01:12 PM
R/C Tech Founder

One of the biggest considerations that people fail to make is going with a car that fits their level of expertise (and patience) in the hobby.

Cars like the TC3, XXX-S, Pro 3, and so on are all pretty dialed in the first time you set them on the track. I ran my box-stock XXX-S for weeks without changing a thing, and could get it in the A every time.

I see guys buying more exotic cars, like the X-Ray, for example, and just having fits getting the car set up right. Having loads of tunability is a good thing, as long as you are willing to work with it and really get to understand what your changes are doing to the car. I think that with the right adjustments, a car with pivot-ball suspension should work just as well as the C-hubs we know and love, but it's going to be a longer process getting to that point, since there are more adjustments to make and trials to be run.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

In that point I agree with you.

But while in the TC3 people had to wait for the new caster blocks to come out, on a Xray or similar suspension car you could just try it.

As long as they stick to the original provided setup, after that is just detail changes. I had those settings when I got the car and i was at B level all the time.

Better driving and a little tuning got me into the A - Top 5-7.

And I just had the original suspension to play with. No need to have C blocks or change bulkheads to change caster or anything like that.

However I see guys wanting to put more caster on a car and being unable to do it. The pivot ball sort of cures that.

And why did I get the C Hub conversion? Just because they look so COOL and I wanted to see it it was just Mkt BS again .
Old 10-09-2002, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

AAAH! shinyboy!!! heh heh heh

I actually wish I had pivots for my TC3 - fewer moving parts and more adjustability - I actually want more. I've gotten used to it so I like it.

Anyway - I think they ought to make this new car with silver-flake Carbon. . .woohoo!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Boomer
AAAH! shinyboy!!! heh heh heh

I actually wish I had pivots for my TC3 - fewer moving parts and more adjustability - I actually want more. I've gotten used to it so I like it.

Anyway - I think they ought to make this new car with silver-flake Carbon. . .woohoo!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

I really like the look of this car. It looks amazing, except for those damn purple parts! I would rather see silver, even blue I think would look better on this car...Nevermind.

Chassis looks great, well designed and plenty rigid. However I'm not so sure about the suspension. Shocks look very long and the front tower looks blocky (merely cosmetic). Also the pivot ball suspension...Lastly (is that a word?) the car uses philips screws

Still, I would love to have the chassis
Old 10-09-2002, 11:37 PM
Tech Regular

Well the (+) screws can always be changed. Looking forward to see this car in person.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had the OB4 back in the day and that car was a great contender for me. Pushed it around at the local tracks, and even at SoCal with the fierce competition there. Did well in my class. The only difference with this evelotion that will be to some advantage (imo) will be the single belt drive. The weight distribution is questionable. Not a bad idea, but will it give an advantage, hhmmm?

I am also considering this car. Very tempting...very, very...

$0.02
Old 10-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Strange. Not a day I post this car here on RCTECH Team Orion page shows it. I think seeng this car is far more important then asuumptions based on the OB4........ Which is some parts did look like it.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

Have someone actually tried this car yet?
Old 01-03-2003, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

TTT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.