Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

my opinion is that the Param Alfa is the best body ive ever used up to date
R/C Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:49 AM   #32
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
Dale what "legal" bodies does Protoform have that is(in handling)like the Nemesis.For the track I race at the Nemesis works the best for 19 turn rubber..
Shhhh! That body is dialed at Gilroy too. Just gotta turn the dual-rate up a bit

I got a Mazda 6 just to be legal this year, left the wing and spill plates as big as I could and it handles real good too, if anything a little quicker than the Nemesis. Try the CTS-V too
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:42 AM   #33
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
Shhhh! That body is dialed at Gilroy too. Just gotta turn the dual-rate up a bit

I got a Mazda 6 just to be legal this year, left the wing and spill plates as big as I could and it handles real good too, if anything a little quicker than the Nemesis. Try the CTS-V too
I think that may be the difference why some guys like the Mazda and some not. If you´re using the rear wing on max. size this is very different in handling from when you have to cut down the wing to roof height as the wing is much smaller then.
From what I found the Nemesis even works very good with a smaller wing.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:49 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp

Rob Phillips: didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. Sorry.

Dale - PROTOform
This isn't my thread I just thought it would be good to try and get all the body info in one place. Having the likes of you here is much welcomed. So Hi-Jack all you want, it's your thread too.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:54 AM   #35
Tech Master

I have a question for you Dale, on the 3.0 carpet, you ran the wing mounts down the rear bumper. I like that, it adds rigidity to the rear wheel wells. That is the only complaint I have about the mazda 6, one slight tape in the rear and the body gets tucked. I would like to see that "stiffener" applied to more bodies. Keep up the good work. Oh by the way, I got my G6 yesterday, I 'll let you know how it works. Thanks

Old 10-01-2005, 08:58 AM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
my opinion is that the Param Alfa is the best body ive ever used up to date
Funny thing about opinions..In my opinion the Parma Alfa is the worst body I have tried to run on carpet,I guess it's a "foam"body because on rubber tires I get a car that has no steering and spins out.. change bodys and all the handling problems are gone.All i can figure is I'm doing something "wrong".. Because everyone has great luck with this body but me.Dan on my track pit 30's are the bomb also..
Old 10-01-2005, 12:06 PM   #37
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12
I think that may be the difference why some guys like the Mazda and some not. If you´re using the rear wing on max. size this is very different in handling from when you have to cut down the wing to roof height as the wing is much smaller then.
From what I found the Nemesis even works very good with a smaller wing.
On our track I did do some testing with the Mazda 6 over the months and found the big wing/spillplate combo works well. I tried a small "worlds" style wing, ROAR height wing, ROAR height wing w/spillplates but nothing worked as well in most conditions as the big wing. When the grip goes up though the smaller wing helps free the car up.

XXXKat: Try a good foam setup with a Mazda 6, then put the Alfa on...Night and day man! The alfa is a dialed foam body. If I do foam this winter I'm going to try out the new Proto G6 and see how it runs but right now I'm having too much fun setting up and driving the car with rubber to go foam

I'm sticking to the Take-Offs man! Best life of anything and they hang with the Sorexs/RPs/Pits if you have your car dialed The set I'm running in practice right now is 50+ runs old and they have only dropped of about .2 a lap. Still good for practice
Old 10-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Phillips
When mounting your body, how do you align your body? I usually aline the front wheels up to start.
I normally align the front wheels, cut the mount holes and then trace the rear holes around the actual tires (wheelbase is key) with the car fully race ready. But even with a foam front shock tower on the FK05, the Parma Alfa's front bumper trim line is too high. I raced one for the first time two weeks ago (always used a Mazda 6 or Nemesis before) with the trim line and the front bumper had a ride height of 8mm. This past weekend I decided to eat the money, bought a new body and trimmed the front and sides with a marker after cutting the mount holes. The front bumper is now cut 3mm below the trim line and the rear of the sides is pretty close to their trim line. Basically I had to raise the front of the body up 3mm and leave the rear as is. I also moved the body about 1.5mm forward on the posts so the hood would have enough clearance over the upper shock mounts to place some body post cushions in between the body and the mounts. Otherwise the hood gets dented too easily from the mounts.

On Saturday I noticed a little bit more front end traction and feel which I assume was the result of less air getting underneath and moving the aerodynamic center of pressure forward. This worked better for most of the track, but gave a hair too much on-power steering through the first S section which seems to have more traction than the rest of the track. Moving the body back 1.5mm may cure it, but I'm going to try a slight setup change first as I really don't want to purchase three bodies in two weeks.

I'll be trying the new G6 next time out in a couple of weeks though.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #39
Tech Master

Good run last weekend Guy, I couldn't remember if I told you or not. I was a little unhappy with myself at the time.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Phillips
Good run last weekend Guy, I couldn't remember if I told you or not. I was a little unhappy with myself at the time.
Thanks. I can relate...A LOT!

You seemed to have the car dialed in the first two qualifiers. What changed?
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:40 PM   #41
Tech Master

A hard impact into the boards!

Old 10-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
Funny thing about opinions..In my opinion the Parma Alfa is the worst body I have tried to run on carpet,I guess it's a "foam"body because on rubber tires I get a car that has no steering and spins out.. change bodys and all the handling problems are gone.All i can figure is I'm doing something "wrong".. Because everyone has great luck with this body but me.Dan on my track pit 30's are the bomb also..
i run the Parma Alfa with stock rubber setup on carpet...seems fine for me
R/C Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #43
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Hey guys, right now I'm running an AP Stratus 3.0 on rubber/carpet. Which bodies will offer a bit less downforce on the nose of the car? I'd like a little LESS steering without taking any out of the radio settings. Maybe a CTS-V?
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #44
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Hey guys, right now I'm running an AP Stratus 3.0 on rubber/carpet. Which bodies will offer a bit less downforce on the nose of the car? I'd like a little LESS steering without taking any out of the radio settings. Maybe a CTS-V?
I'm running a Mazda 6 with an "high-cut" wing and am actually looking for a little bit more steering. I want more steering so I can dial down my dual rate, that way if I ever need more steering because of a change in track conditions I'll have it in about 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes of track time (which could be used to practice other things)
Old 10-04-2005, 10:18 PM   #45
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
On the less steering do not get a CTS-V,It will make a twitchey car un-drivable.. I would try a Nemesis..just right..