Wiki Posts
Search

New to onroad HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New to onroad HELP

Ok so our local track is building an outdoor smooth asphalt track that they will be putting soda on for traction. We live in phoenix so weather isn't much of an issue. I have always done offroad and have no onroad experience. I will most likely be getting a tc6.2, I know that there are a lot of other cars out that are better but I know that there are a lot of locals that will run them so parts support and setup help will be best with the AE car so I will start there. I talked to the track and they said they are running a 17.5 TC class for sure. Do onroad 17.5 drivers go to the extent that offroad 17.5 guys do for lightweight parts? Also what are some key upgrades that will be good to have right off the bat as well as what tires do you think will be good for that surface. Sorry for the long post but I feel a little lost with onroad
Old 12-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm curious to some the answers of this thread aswell, are local track just opened up a carpet track and on-road is a whole different game lol
Old 12-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

There are no magic parts needed. The key is tires/setup/build.

So:
1. Build it box stock.
2. Ask locals about shock setup
3. Get the right tires

Hit the track with a well prepped car and do your best to check settings after a crash or between sessions. Since setup can change the cars characteristics, checking setup will ensure you can concentrate on driving a consistent car.

Have fun!
Old 12-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

My $.02.

TC6.2 is fine out of the box. I would go to petitrc.com and find some other asphalt set ups for that car on there. That will help with a starting point on: tires, shock springs, shock oil weight. After that just run and make your adjustments from there. For asphault i suggest starting with LTCR body as well.

Also came from off road and 17.5 off road is not like 17.5 on road. The weight issue is not that big of a deal as the 17.5 is plenty fast in on road.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As for tires, most tracks use a spec tire but if this is a new track they may run open tire for a while so you will have to experiment.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scythe23
Ok so our local track is building an outdoor smooth asphalt track that they will be putting soda on for traction. We live in phoenix so weather isn't much of an issue. I have always done offroad and have no onroad experience. I will most likely be getting a tc6.2, I know that there are a lot of other cars out that are better but I know that there are a lot of locals that will run them so parts support and setup help will be best with the AE car so I will start there. I talked to the track and they said they are running a 17.5 TC class for sure. Do onroad 17.5 drivers go to the extent that offroad 17.5 guys do for lightweight parts? Also what are some key upgrades that will be good to have right off the bat as well as what tires do you think will be good for that surface. Sorry for the long post but I feel a little lost with onroad
You can't go wrong with Sorex 36 tires.

Weight is not an issue as you will be near minimum if not under it (depending on the battery) with a stock car. The drive train components are pretty light to begin with the only thing you might be interested in is lightweight dog bones by Tuning Haus for the rear.

You will definitely want to use a light weight body with the Protoform LTC-R the number one choice.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

I would check into USVTA or USGT if this is your first go at on road. You will need some sort of setup station to aid in setup. Hard to get close without one. Tires will get eaten in the heat out there more so with bad setup... used to run in El Paso out doors.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm guessing that you are talking about the HobbyTown Gilbert AZ asphalt track. Just an FYI - Todd the owner of the store drives a TC6.2, so he has a great setup for the track. You will want to purchase the sorex 32 or 36 tires with the yellow inserts. I also have the Tc6.2, but I've been running my Durango lately. Almost everyone at the track has a setup station, and would be willing to help you with the setup, so don't be hesitate to ask. I'm going to make an attempt at attaching Todd's setup, but if it doesn't work, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.
Attached Thumbnails New to onroad HELP-hobbytown_gilbert_tc6.2_setup.jpg  
Old 12-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33
I would check into USVTA or USGT if this is your first go at on road. You will need some sort of setup station to aid in setup. Hard to get close without one. Tires will get eaten in the heat out there more so with bad setup... used to run in El Paso out doors.
There is the VTA road coarse and the GT spec class, a well as a sportsman 17.5 blinky TC class. You can go to az-rc.com and see all of the rules for the classes.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was referring to the new srs. Their onroad should be done end of jan or beginning of February. Gilbert is too far of a drive for me lol
Old 12-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Tech Rookie

sorry I can't give advice, just come to listen to this seems like an interesting question