R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
curious about the pre-mounts from gravityrc - do you use those, or do you glue your own wheels?
how do the premounts perform?
We have been using the pre-mounts at "The Gate" for several months now. I would recommend that you require their use. It eliminates the insert BS. Be sure to mark them with your own "tamper proof" sticker when they are sold to indicate a pre-mount.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
We have been using the pre-mounts at "The Gate" for several months now. I would recommend that you require their use. It eliminates the insert BS. Be sure to mark them with your own "tamper proof" sticker when they are sold to indicate a pre-mount.
this is the option that has been discussed. so as not to have the insert drama. Its just a good idea. totally spec and numbered etc. I like the idea personally. if one wants to have a set of practice tires so be it. but come racing one best be using the spec numbered tires and wheels from the series.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just as long as the gravity wheels aren't brittle. You know how rough Scale Spec can get.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
I thought The Gate was using USGT rules which only mandates the tire and insert, not that it be a premount?
Old 12-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Just as long as the gravity wheels aren't brittle. You know how rough Scale Spec can get.

-Mike
kody mentioned they are a decent wheel. not too brittle but not super soft. i hope they are good. but its all up in the air. nothings set in stone. its just talk. i just wanted some input. im the only one locally with a set of the spec tires currently in our club. if anybody wants to test them just ask.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

I race VTA and USGT on asphalt here in Texas where its HOT in the summer. Never have the VTA tires on my USGT car so I don't know how they compare one on one; however, I really like the USGT spec tire and like Howard says no noticeable drop off in performance over time (compared to my TC tires that last for several runs). I like the spec tire much more than the 5 spoke wheel that usually comes with them. I've bent 2 wheels and broke the center out of another. I've been experimenting with wheels but not the tires, they are top notch. The belted X patterns I've tried just don't measure up - mine were so bad in comparison I stopped trying to get them to work. For tire prep on the spec tire, I sand the seam off and prep them using Paul Lemieux (SP? sorry Paul) tire prep method, run them on my abrasive concrete driveway a few minutes and they generally hookup right away when I go racing. I have only had one tire failure all year long and it was near 108F outside and only God knows how hot the track was - but I finished the race.

BTW I clean the tires with STX tire & body cleaner and use Paragon Black for the traction compound (we race outdoors so the wintergreen isn't a problem - I carry my inhaler just in case it kicks off my asthma).

Our club is also considering using the USGT spec tire as a spec tire for 17.5.

PS I've also played with mounting the spec tire on 26mm wheels. From my experience stay with the 24 mm wheels.

Our USGT rules allow us to play with inserts, some (like my race buddy NEED4SPEED) swear by them, some swear at them. I've used both, and perhaps because I'm not a world class driver I don't see a difference in my lap times, so I just stay with the stock inserts.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Excellent reply. Thanks for that input. Will pass the info along.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
kody mentioned they are a decent wheel. not too brittle but not super soft. i hope they are good. but its all up in the air. nothings set in stone. its just talk. i just wanted some input. im the only one locally with a set of the spec tires currently in our club. if anybody wants to test them just ask.
Brian Shook (bshookup I think) has run them. You might ping him about his experience.

-Mike
Old 12-12-2014, 12:43 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Brian Shook (bshookup I think) has run them. You might ping him about his experience.

-Mike
My ears are burning!

I have limited experience with the RIDE tires, but I'm sold. They do everything that you want a spec tire to do, and you can't beat the price. I haven't yet heard anyone say something bad about them.

Straight out of the package they hooked up at Fantasy World, and then I took them down to NorCal and they hooked up at their track just fine too. With about 8 battery packs on them, they are starting to show some wear as can be expected, but they are still raceable, and although I have no proof, my bet is that you would get more runs out of them than some D compound tires.

If I was running the scale spec class and had the choice, I would choose RIDE USGT tires over the D compounds because:
1) They cost 15 to 20 dollars less a set
2) They handle more like a TC tire than VTA tires do, so a "normal" setup is more likely to work
3) They likely last longer

I don't think a club would need to spec a pre-mount. As far as I know, NorCal has a gentleman's agreement to use the stock foam, and it hasn't been a problem. Heck, the Northwest Scale Spec class has had a gentleman's agreement that everyone uses the stock foam in the D compound tires. Why make things more complicated. I glued up my tires on some +2 offset wheels to help fill out a 200mm body. If the Gravity pre-mounts were spec'd, then everyone would likely gravitate to 190mm bodies and some variety may be lost.

To make a change locally, Northwest, to the RIDE tire, I don't think it is really is about whether it is a better spec tire (I believe it is). I think it is more about whether you want to risk fixing something that isn't broken. The current Northwest Scale Spec rules have been serving us well for years, and maybe they don't need tweaking. One thing to think about is that in the Northwest we lump VTA style cars with GT cars and there may be some people who really like the look of a VTA car and would stop racing Scale Spec if they had to use USGT tires. Most other regions have both a VTA class and a USGT class.

- Brian
bshookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:30 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Brian, I think it's only on the table for the summer series. D Compounds are expensive on abrasive asphalt.

-Mike
Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
I would concur. If you are going to have a spec tire, it should be pre-mounted... how else to ensure that everyone is using the same inserts??
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshookup View Post
My ears are burning!

I have limited experience with the RIDE tires, but I'm sold. They do everything that you want a spec tire to do, and you can't beat the price. I haven't yet heard anyone say something bad about them.

Straight out of the package they hooked up at Fantasy World, and then I took them down to NorCal and they hooked up at their track just fine too. With about 8 battery packs on them, they are starting to show some wear as can be expected, but they are still raceable, and although I have no proof, my bet is that you would get more runs out of them than some D compound tires.

If I was running the scale spec class and had the choice, I would choose RIDE USGT tires over the D compounds because:
1) They cost 15 to 20 dollars less a set
2) They handle more like a TC tire than VTA tires do, so a "normal" setup is more likely to work
3) They likely last longer

I don't think a club would need to spec a pre-mount. As far as I know, NorCal has a gentleman's agreement to use the stock foam, and it hasn't been a problem. Heck, the Northwest Scale Spec class has had a gentleman's agreement that everyone uses the stock foam in the D compound tires. Why make things more complicated. I glued up my tires on some +2 offset wheels to help fill out a 200mm body. If the Gravity pre-mounts were spec'd, then everyone would likely gravitate to 190mm bodies and some variety may be lost.

To make a change locally, Northwest, to the RIDE tire, I don't think it is really is about whether it is a better spec tire (I believe it is). I think it is more about whether you want to risk fixing something that isn't broken. The current Northwest Scale Spec rules have been serving us well for years, and maybe they don't need tweaking. One thing to think about is that in the Northwest we lump VTA style cars with GT cars and there may be some people who really like the look of a VTA car and would stop racing Scale Spec if they had to use USGT tires. Most other regions have both a VTA class and a USGT class.

- Brian
I think its only on the table for the CARS series next summer for the scale spec class. but...i would like to see the class split into two. a true vta with the full weight etc. and the gt class running the class tires etc. That way driver could participate in the national points system thats going on. but its not up to me. its just my opinion. but i do like the idea of using a spec tire in a spec class that currently has 2 different types of tire. granted they are the same compound but they have different handling characteristics. the vta tires have been dubbed the "pillows" and handle as such. and the x patterns that feel a little more like a race tire. personal preference in what you run. but i would like to see a true spec tire for the series next summer. but i dont think the guys that like to run the vta bodies would like it as it might detract from the "look" that they desire. I do agree with what Mr Shook has stated.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #28
Tech Adept

It seems like most of the people posting here like the new spec tires. Are you running on carpet or asphalt? I'm racing on carpet, and since switching to the Ride tires (was using HPI belted tires) I feel like I'm driving a drift car. No grip at either end, and it doesn't seem to be getting better with more runs on them. (The HPI tires would actually squeal in the corners.) My VTA car turns quicker laps and has waaaay more grip. Did you make major changes to your setups to get the Ride tires to work?
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What traction sauce? How many runs?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy View Post
It seems like most of the people posting here like the new spec tires. Are you running on carpet or asphalt? I'm racing on carpet, and since switching to the Ride tires (was using HPI belted tires) I feel like I'm driving a drift car. No grip at either end, and it doesn't seem to be getting better with more runs on them. (The HPI tires would actually squeal in the corners.) My VTA car turns quicker laps and has waaaay more grip. Did you make major changes to your setups to get the Ride tires to work?
We are not running them on carpet. This was just a question of durability and grip on asphalt. These tires may be the spec tire for our scale spec class next summer. I have only tried them once on carpet and they were brand new and slick as ice. I run hpi d compound in our scale spec class currently.