R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-24-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
Tech Adept

TRF 415 Tamiya front spool quality?

I have tried two pieces from RCManiaX but no use.
After 2-3 batteries, they broke!!!!
I was wondering if anyone has tried Tamiya's spool or Shooter's.
Capone_GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Tech Master

honestly if i were u try the one from sppedtech i believe its made my tobee craft, people say its really strong
hpipro321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Yeah, they're truly strong, but you should not underestimate the ones that is made by Tamiya as well.
Captain Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone_GR
I have tried two pieces from RCManiaX but no use.
After 2-3 batteries, they broke!!!!
I was wondering if anyone has tried Tamiya's spool or Shooter's.
You can try this one Shooters, they just release at www.rckenon.com
Attached Thumbnails
TRF 415 Tamiya front spool quality?-cimg1333.jpg   TRF 415 Tamiya front spool quality?-cimg1338.jpg  
topgluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Tech Elite

RC PROFESSOR has used the Speedtech spools, and I've watched him break them with one clip of a pipe. If he breaks them, then they must be made poorly b/c he's a really smooth driver.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i agree someone with the speedtach spool broke it in a pipe. i have shooters spoll gave it a rael abuse didnt break. one thing tho, watch the oins that the outdrives sit in, they may fall out

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
Tech Champion

watch the pins please excuse my poor typing skillz

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
Old 09-24-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats not true. If you clip anything just right with a spool, they will break. I've seen guys clip something and break a steel spool. Spools are very hard on the drive train. Somethings gotta give... Just my 2cents and experience...

Mod naturally is alot harder on a spool. Something to consider is steering setup. Make sure you are not using full lock to lock steering. This'll prevent alot of chatter and wear and tear. Go to SpeedtechRC and read their article on spools...

Anyways, I run the Tamiya Spool in my EvoIV. It runs just fine in Stock. But in Mod, it'll wear out pretty fast. But it drives just awesome!

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
Tech Champion

at least if u break shooters spool outdrives, they are replaceable, not like speedtech.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
Tech Elite

That's why I like Tamiya Spools too. Just replace the outdrive. I just wish they'd sell spare outdrives!!!

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 09-24-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Jimmy, did u ever run a spool with your yokomo? When I started running spools, it broke about half a dozen cvd's, axles, and pins. Have you tried the rayspeed cvd's?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:34 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Yeah, I've ran homemade spools, Speedtech spool, and the Yokomo spool. I've broken the Yokomo spools clipping a board. But they work great. I've made a spool out of a Pro4 diff halves and TC3 IRS dogbones. Worked great as well. But torn it up in Mod. The IRS bones wore out and tore up the outdrives. Speedtech spool holds up. But chatters too much for my liking in stock. I built a home made spool from an Excel delrin diff. It is great in Stock. RaySpeed CVD's are good in the rear. But stay away from them in the front. They break too easy. That's what I was using when I was down there in Easley and I broke the 1st and 2nd qualifiers. I switched back to the stock bones and Q'd 2nd with them. Best "bones" are the Yokomo Hardened Universal set. They held up great all season long for me. With the "stock" bones, I broke axle pins on high traction tracks. I've also used Square Ti axles and Ti bones and Ti pins. They work great as well. Just keep them freshly oiled every race day.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 09-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilRuf
Yeah, I've ran homemade spools, Speedtech spool, and the Yokomo spool. I've broken the Yokomo spools clipping a board. But they work great. I've made a spool out of a Pro4 diff halves and TC3 IRS dogbones. Worked great as well. But torn it up in Mod. The IRS bones wore out and tore up the outdrives. Speedtech spool holds up. But chatters too much for my liking in stock. I built a home made spool from an Excel delrin diff. It is great in Stock. RaySpeed CVD's are good in the rear. But stay away from them in the front. They break too easy. That's what I was using when I was down there in Easley and I broke the 1st and 2nd qualifiers. I switched back to the stock bones and Q'd 2nd with them. Best "bones" are the Yokomo Hardened Universal set. They held up great all season long for me. With the "stock" bones, I broke axle pins on high traction tracks. I've also used Square Ti axles and Ti bones and Ti pins. They work great as well. Just keep them freshly oiled every race day.
thanks for the info rich post. I've got the tobee bones (which look like they are a blend of butter and aluminium.) So after the nats, I expect to give them 1 day with a 19turn and toss them. I might just buy some irs bones and fit them on the rayspeed axles. The rayspeed bones are too short for a diff or spool b/c they bind if I am running the front outdrive rings.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:00 AM   #14
Tech Adept

I will buy one from Shooters but i think i will do thw same as they used to do a year ago....
Buy a full new Tamiya front one way system and just glue it with a super ultra strong glue. The only damage is that after a race you may have to glue it again!
Capone_GR is offline   Reply With Quote