Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CristianTabush

TC shock spring strength variation

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default TC shock spring strength variation

Have been running Axon shock springs for a couple of years. Decided to buy some Xray and Gizmo springs to try. When changing springs I wasn't getting the results I expected. So I setup my drill press with a digital scale to measure spring strength. Found that the Gizmo 2.15 springs were the same strength as the Axon 2.4. And the Xray 2.3 were between the Axon 2.6 and 2.5.
There was also a larger variation between the same size Axon springs and very little variation in the other brands. Now I am not sure if the Axon springs are just softer and have more variation then the other brands or do they lose strength with use. The Axon springs have a lot of use and the other ones are almost new.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Some notes:

-The Axon Silver springs are a different diameter. This makes the spring have a "softer feel" to it. Axon 2.4 is "like" an XRAY 2.2, hardness wise, but the bigger diameter makes it have a less responsive feel.
-XRAY springs are super linear, no other spring on the market is as linear over compression.
-Most all other springs are slightly progressive over the usable compression range due to the dead coil. So for example, an axon black 2.5 and xray 2.5 are similar in rate, but the Axon black will feel livelier.
-Measuring on a scale,gives you an idea of rate, but not progression. To calculate progression, you need to record the delta change over the usable range to get an "avg" of the rate.
-Rate is just a guide for range
-Most companies rate their springs on a "theoretical" value. They use spring calculators to get an approximation of the rate. This can vary slightly based on the type of wire, exact diameter of the wire and spring, spring length and actual coil pattern. Springs are not easy to make and the typical tolerance is about 0.5mm. That is a HUGE difference. This leads to most companies not rating their springs quite right.

My observations and springs that I like:

-Axon Silver - Mellow feel, soft rates. Good for Higher bite surfaces and lower bite. Great on black carpet.
-Xray - great bench mark, not too aggressive, not too mellow. Good on all surfaces, although maybe not the best on all surfaces.
-Axon Black (Gizmo 20mm)- Most aggressive, good in medium grip tracks. Not a lot of options on the softer side of springs. 2.5 is softest so many times when needed softer, you are limited, like for black carpet. This is where the Gizmo springs come in for our Gizmo cars.

I know you are running Gizmo. If you have the Gizmo springs, some Axon Silver 2.4 and 2.5 and xray 2.3,2.5 and 2.3-2.6, you should be covered and never need anything else. 2.35 is the most essential and versatile springs. Axon 2.4s are also great for our car.
RoyB likes this.