R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-18-2001, 06:28 AM   #31
Tech Adept

I think you will find that Charlie is correct the prime use of the Shottky is to keep down the temperature on the Brake FETS thus avoiding the situation where the FETS get too hot and the Brakes go off towards the latter half of a race.
There is an explanation of this on the Novak site or at least there was last time I was there.
Bosscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 07:45 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

Yes yes, of course, but what heats them up? Is it the free spin or the back voltage?
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 09:19 AM   #33
Tech Master

TSR6 emailed me that some assistance was needed.

http://teamnovak.com/Tech_info/index.htm

That is a link to our Tech Info section. You can get the exact definitions there if you like.

If you ever have a question for me please email me directly. I cannot check this particular forum on a regular basis. All technical data on our ESCs and recommendations can be found in the Tech Info Section.

JesseT- yes, I'm sure.

Schottky Diodes keep the internal components of the ESC cooler during all operation. Even if your ESC has an internal schottky, an external is beneficial. Never use Schottky Diodes on ESC that use Reverse.

Power Capacitors catch ripple current that is created by the extremely high rate that the Cyclone and Atom speed controls turn the FETS on and off. The Cyclone and Atom switch the mosfets on at a higher rate than most speed controls. The advantages are more evident with the Cyclone and Atom speed controls. Adding capacitance (i.e.: Larger caps or multiple caps) will keep the ESC and the capacitors cooler. Cooler is always better. We have found that our large 4700 uF capacitor is more than enough for even the most sever conditions.
Old 10-20-2001, 07:03 PM   #34
Tech Rookie

Hi all ,

I'v a problem on my Novak TC ESC.
Before my last ride , everything was ok and fine.
But when I prepare for my ride yesterday , I found my motor did not work.
Everything looks fine except the motor don't run.
The setup function and lights on ESC is ok and work .
I use pit wizard to connect my TC , upload and download is also woking fine.
I'v replace the diode , capacitor and motor ,even change my receiver and transceiver.
I can make sure my TC was damaged ,but I don't know why?
Can anybody help me?
AlexT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 07:54 PM   #35
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Damn, same problem with me too...but the Cyclone i got is the first generation one...I still dont know what the problem is...I'm just thinking my motor is not working...

So is it my Cyclone that is not working?
All the set up lights works...my receiver works and radio too, I still got steering but no throttle at all....

So what is the problem...
Same case with AlexT...
My suddenly dont work too....on the race day too
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 10:36 AM   #36
TFR
Tech Master

Anybody could help us here????
Old 10-21-2001, 10:53 AM   #37
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

I had this problem once, I think I finually traced it down to a poor solder joint from one of the motor wires from the ESC!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 12:01 PM   #38
TFR
Tech Master

OH...no problem on that, i checked...

I just hope that it's not my cyclone's problem...

today i plug a stick pack battery directly to the motor[540Sport Tuned], but still no response...so i have to assume that its really the motor....

But, last time on the race day, I borrow someones Silver Can 540 Motor and I put it on, but the power is still so slow...
Since i got non-matched 1700 sanyo batteries, so I asked some guy to lend me a matched 2400, but still no luck...same thing is happening to the Speed of the Silver Can...
What should I do??
Old 10-22-2001, 03:04 AM   #39
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Have you phyiscally de-soldered and re-soldered the motor wires...... mine 'looked' just fine also! I even checked it with a multimeter..... but that was the last thing I did which cured the problem!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 03:40 AM   #40
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by TFR
OH...no problem on that, i checked...

I just hope that it's not my cyclone's problem...

today i plug a stick pack battery directly to the motor[540Sport Tuned], but still no response...so i have to assume that its really the motor....

But, last time on the race day, I borrow someones Silver Can 540 Motor and I put it on, but the power is still so slow...
Since i got non-matched 1700 sanyo batteries, so I asked some guy to lend me a matched 2400, but still no luck...same thing is happening to the Speed of the Silver Can...
What should I do??
It is obvious that your motor has excessive wore either on the comm or brushes.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:11 PM   #41
TFR
Tech Master

oh, ok thanx guys...

thinking about buying a stock motor now...rather keep on wasting money to buy 540sport tuned.