Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Do you feel that? The winds of change thread! >

Do you feel that? The winds of change thread!

Do you feel that? The winds of change thread!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I feel if there was a north american Driver that would be classed in the top 10 in the world for on road you would see it gain more pace here. Years back there was a good group of NA drivers that would be in the top ten at the worlds
This year the only driver to make the amain was Keven Herbert in 1/12
Old 12-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Onroad will never make a huge comeback until tc kits come down in price. 400 bucks for an onroad chassis vs 250 for an off-road chassis. Combine that with no decent rtrs and you've just lost every new driver or kid on a budget in the hobby shop. Sure their are diehards to keep onroad alive and new people will come into some of the spec classes but until the big manufacturers make a competitive kit and or rtr that people can get up an running for under 500 bucks onroad will not come back large scale
Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Donny lia was in the a-main, maybe not as well known as Kevin but he is a American, he's also a very good nascar modified driver with many big wins against the very best they have to offer
Old 12-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scirocco
Donny lia was in the a-main, maybe not as well known as Kevin but he is a American, he's also a very good nascar modified driver with many big wins against the very best they have to offer
And a freakin brilliant truck series win. One of the best races I ever saw.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gooba
Onroad will never make a huge comeback until tc kits come down in price. 400 bucks for an onroad chassis vs 250 for an off-road chassis. Combine that with no decent rtrs and you've just lost every new driver or kid on a budget in the hobby shop. Sure their are diehards to keep onroad alive and new people will come into some of the spec classes but until the big manufacturers make a competitive kit and or rtr that people can get up an running for under 500 bucks onroad will not come back large scale
Good point.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Until the entry level class at most tracks is a spec RTR, I don't see on-road growing.

VTA seems to be the most common entry class and it's fairly complicated to get the right tires, wheels, bodies, weight, battery, motor, etc.

That's a lot of things to bring together for a kid or someone who is totally new.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by funked1
VTA seems to be the most common entry class and it's fairly complicated to get the right tires, wheels, bodies, weight, battery, motor, etc.
Really?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As cool as the bodies are, VTA makes no sense to me anymore. It was supposed to be an easy-going class but now its just as intense as any other.

Oh well, some people like racing really, really slow cars.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Oh well, some people like racing really, really slow cars.
Which makes no more or no less sense, and is no more right or wrong, than someone wanting to race a really really fast car.

Negativity does *nothing* to help welcome new people into and keep rookies in the hobby. If it takes people running a class of Traxxas r/c lawnmowers to keep a local track open and profitable... why not? You run YOUR class, and everyone have fun.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Man, you guys in socal need to bring some racers our side.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Xpress
Really?
Yep. For an entry level class it's much more complicated than the kind of entry classes we had 20 years ago when TC racing first took off.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Pan Cars are cheaper -easier to work on and just as fast! A new class Spec175GT check it out on facebook. It's a little slower than WGT and fun to drive. First big race was this past weekend at the Turkey race at Minregg. There were 3 mains. This will also be one of the new classes on a shorter race program at this years Snowbirds. The cars look realistic- you have a choice of bodies and run WGT Spec tires with a limited gear ratio(43-47 x84).
WGT is faster and just as fun for me. No more VTA for me period. Any Touring chassis is more work than it's worth. If you want simple get a pan car chassis and race. You want complicated and always working on set-up get a Tc car chassis. after driven both and just slod my last TC I can not see the logic in all the work you have to do to make a TC work all the time. Your in the pit working on them all the time. I race both indoors and outdoors and been doing 99% of you were ever racing . Another really fun class is RJSpeed Legends with 21.5 -1 cell and 33-35x81 gear ratio- Both oval and road course.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
As cool as the bodies are, VTA makes no sense to me anymore. It was supposed to be an easy-going class but now its just as intense as any other.
I completly agree with this. Everyone claims it is an entry level class, and I tend to agree. It is easy to enter with clear sime rules of what equipment to get. And whether you get a cheap used TC4 or a branf new T4-15, there are set-ups to copy and get agood start with.
But it is getting too intense. For an "entry level" class, there sure are a lot of sponsored drivers running around. Sponsored and entry level are two gorups that should not be in the same class.

Along with generally a higher entry cost than offroad, why would a new kid want to run against even a 50% sponsored guy as soon as they are getting started?

HPI could easily get in on a VTA RTR. Use the sprint 2 or update the pro4. Get an eas approvd through ROAR (ugh ROAR) and put in a 25.5 (its not a Novak, but its a start. Or partner with Novak for a whole system) They already have the market for tires and 90% of
the bodies.

Associated could do almost the same thing using a PF body. Tires would be the only issue.

Or maybe if there was a 21.5 TC class.l, it would be easier to get a entry level RTR novice class going.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
or is it just wishful thinking?
I guess it's different for every club.

For my local club it's been consistent in all classes.

Now its getting colder though, they'll be many more people heading indoors to race

I like my r/c - but I last raced outside in the winter years ago. The temperature did not get above 0 deg C all day!

Never again.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't think VTA was ever an entry level class. It was more of a way to keep people in the hobby because the cost of touring car was spiking. Many tracks promoted VTA as entry level because it didn't cost as much as full on touring car.

As long as there's racing, as long at there's competition, there will always be people looking for whatever advantage they can get to win. It's part of the formula. And despite all the efforts it's the one thing you cannot control.

Forget VTA has anyone seen what Tamiya M chassis has become???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.