R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-27-2005, 12:37 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit
btw ....dun think you can put in GP3700 into the TA04 chassis.
Ghostfit: 3700s and 3800s will not fit in a TA04 unless you dremel the sides. its not the actual length of the individual cells. but the diameter of each cell is larger. so on a 6cell side by side pack.. the width is wider than the 04 tub.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

If anyone out there is unhappy with their 05, please PM me... ill gladly purchase it off you! lol
Old 09-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #18
Tech Addict

The 3700 and 3800 cells won't fit the TA04 TRF if the battery pack is configured in a side by side layout, however if the battery pack is configured in a stick pack then they do fit I have tested this on my TA04 TRF's. Maybe someone can shed some light on a bit of a problem I'm having with steering on my TA05, I've run the TA04 and TA05 back to back a couple of times now trying various settings but I can not get the steering as dialed as it is on my TA04's.I just can't get the TA05 to commit to a corner as quick and direct as the TA04 . If anyone is considering getting a TA04 instead of a TA05 don't do it, as soon as I get the steering sorted on the TA05 it will blow the TA04 to bits

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:18 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
I believe you are saying that you have understeering on entry and oversteering on exit ......Check your droop settings !
Sometime I make this simple test, set full turn on one direction and from a stop position I give full throttle ... with this test on my TA05 on my GP3700, if I turn left, the car is nicely make wider radius based on the speed ... if I turn right, the car start to spin 360.

On the track I did have problem on the tight right turns ... causing me the easily lose the rear of the car ...

e_lm_70

P.S: Going to add a big Cap in the ESC, and a fan on the motor ... this should help the balance ... as well my AMB PT was on repair ... so I did had to use a heavy club transponder ... mounted on the right side of the car ...

Can somebody confirm me ... with a soft suspensions (soft oil & springs) ... the inbalance is more visible then with harder suspensions ?
e_lm_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Sometime I make this simple test, set full turn on one direction and from a stop position I give full throttle ... with this test on my TA05 on my GP3700, if I turn left, the car is nicely make wider radius based on the speed ... if I turn right, the car start to spin 360.

On the track I did have problem on the tight right turns ... causing me the easily lose the rear of the car ...

e_lm_70

P.S: Going to add a big Cap in the ESC, and a fan on the motor ... this should help the balance ... as well my AMB PT was on repair ... so I did had to use a heavy club transponder ... mounted on the right side of the car ...

Can somebody confirm me ... with a soft suspensions (soft oil & springs) ... the inbalance is more visible then with harder suspensions ?
if you are going to use GP3700s. why not use the aluminum servo/transponder holder from Tamiya? it lets you use a house transponder and it sits right on top of the servo (that is if your receiver isnt on top of your servo already)
Old 09-28-2005, 01:33 PM   #21
Tech Master

[QUOTE=e_lm_70]Hi,

Does anybody has some rece report to share about the two different performance between TA04 and TA05 in the Tamiya Specs (TCS friendly) ?

Thanks

Listen to Madjack. Or just look at the results from the nationals. The 05 is tamiya's best gt2 and gt3 car. All 04's were off pace. And there were some good drivers, driving the 04r's. Concerning your race that you spoke about. Your car was more than likely not set-up properly. Batteries will not make your car do what you said it was doing. To anyone considering to buy an 05, just do it. YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:41 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Listen to Madjack. Or just look at the results from the nationals. The 05 is tamiya's best gt2 and gt3 car. All 04's were off pace. And there were some good drivers, driving the 04r's. Concerning your race that you spoke about. Your car was more than likely not set-up properly. Batteries will not make your car do what you said it was doing. To anyone considering to buy an 05, just do it. YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!
Interesting ...

The US TCS winner did use a TA05 ... but some old 3000 Cells !

Houda as it turned out used older Panasonic NHMH 3000 batteries that by today’s standards are a very light cell compared to the more favored GP 3700’s. It seems that most drivers opted to buy high voltage 3700’s, but Houda’s gamble in having a light car paid off. Since the Johnson motor can only pull so much the extra voltage would not be enough as we clearly saw.

Also interesting to see that F1 was faster then GT2 ... this sound odd ... in our club the F1 are way slower then TC cars ... using the same motor and battery !

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:27 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Interesting ...

Houda as it turned out used older Panasonic NHMH 3000 batteries that by today’s standards are a very light cell compared to the more favored GP 3700’s. It seems that most drivers opted to buy high voltage 3700’s, but Houda’s gamble in having a light car paid off. Since the Johnson motor can only pull so much the extra voltage would not be enough as we clearly saw.

Also interesting to see that F1 was faster then GT2 ... this sound odd ... in our club the F1 are way slower then TC cars ... using the same motor and battery !

e_lm_70
Yes, sadly this is correct (I finished in 2nd) Houda also used a very light insert from Proline to decrease the rotating mass. Those 2 changes seemed to help his car...along with excellent driving on his part.

As for F1 vs GT2 times the F1 cars use a 23T motor vs the Johnson in the GT2 class.
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:36 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
Ghostfit: 3700s and 3800s will not fit in a TA04 unless you dremel the sides. its not the actual length of the individual cells. but the diameter of each cell is larger. so on a 6cell side by side pack.. the width is wider than the 04 tub.
Yes Chris, I'm well aware that they will not fit in the standard or lightweight TA04 TUB chassis but as on the TA04TRF's SSG CF chassis, I'm not too sure and as Skitee has pointed out, they may fit in a stick pack configuration. I just dun have any 3700 or 3800 in a stick pack
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Quote:
Yes Chris, I'm well aware that they will not fit in the standard or lightweight TA04 TUB chassis but as on the TA04TRF's SSG CF chassis, I'm not too sure and as Skitee has pointed out, they may fit in a stick pack configuration. I just dun have any 3700 or 3800 in a stick pack
on the TRF SG chassis takes stick packs also. they did make a saddle pack chassis for the TA04 in regular CF, but those are hard to find. a few die hard Tamiya drivers might have one though? sorry not sure what your exact question is?

oh yah.. side by side 37/3800 batteries CAN fit.. just need to dremel the sides down (3-4mm if i remember correctly, but this will make it illegal for TCS )
Old 09-30-2005, 04:41 PM   #26
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Interesting ...

e_lm_70
Your not limited on weight in the TCS series?
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My understanding is that modifying the chassis of a TA-04 to accept the new 3700/3800 cells in a side-by-side configuration by slightly lowering and beveling the chassis sides is completely legal and was done and approved at the USA TCS Nats in August.

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #28
TEM
Tech Regular

I personally run a hopped up (basically all the light weight stuff) TA04R and had a chance to play with a hopped up TA05("TRF" trim level) at the Canadian finals. Lets not consider the stock TA05 cause it's short of many goodies; but the hopped up car is GREAT. Immediately noticable is the smoothness of the drivetrain. Even with new belts the drivetrain is MUCH smoother than my superslacked TA04. It really puzzled me why they didn't use this method of adjusting belts in the 04 while other companies had it long before. I got the drive the car for a few laps. It wasn't mine so I can't comment accurately enough on track performance. I didn't set it up, but it did drive well; no immediate bad habits can be seen.

If he didn't change his car, the 3rd overall finisher in GT2 NA finals, should have been running a TA04. I"m sure if the winner (TA05?) was using a TA04 he is not going to be in last place! Different cars work for different people but the car can only be as good as the racer who tuned/drive it! If you say getting a TA05 makes you a whole second per lap faster than a TA04, I'm sorry to say that you probably don't know what you are doing! (and I don't even need to ask how many seconds the avg lap is on that track!). Just a couple tenths is very significant in competitive racing.

If you had to choose now? If you want to spend the $, it's not a bad idea to go TA05, but you will want to hop it up. I'm waiting for a TA05TRF to come out cause it will be more bang for the buck. 05 is good but needs to be hopped up. 04TRF is no slouch! But really, if you can't make the "A" with a 04, you probably won't do it with an 05!
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote