Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Bigger Spur Or Smaller Spur? >

Bigger Spur Or Smaller Spur?

Like Tree108Likes

Bigger Spur Or Smaller Spur?

Old 04-07-2024, 12:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's anything like a 10 speed bike gearing, then it will depend on the motor whether a smaller pinion gear with the same FDR would spool up quicker. On bikes there are spinners and power strokers (mashers). Spinners are usually winners.

Myles
"having the most fun, is when you haven't peaked yet"
-Still peaking.
-Yokomo to the end
FlySky ( i could be biased and i like it)
Foosball - Fly Tying - Wood Working - Shooting Trap - RCing
Old 04-07-2024, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MylesB
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's anything like a 10 speed bike gearing, then it will depend on the motor whether a smaller pinion gear with the same FDR would spool up quicker. On bikes there are spinners and power strokers (mashers). Spinners are usually winners.

Myles
"having the most fun, is when you haven't peaked yet"
-Still peaking.
-Yokomo to the end
FlySky ( i could be biased and i like it)
Foosball - Fly Tying - Wood Working - Shooting Trap - RCing
I'm sure the commenters from 19 years ago will get back to you on that one.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
I think using different sized gears while maintaining the same overall ratio is more of a way to tune weight distribution. The motor is one of the heaviest parts of the car, and the ability to move it forward or backwards using different sized gears can have a dramatic effect on handling. This will have a much greater effect on your laptimes than the small potential gains in gear effeciency and a few grams of rotating mass.

-James
That is my understanding of tweaking gear sizes while maintaining a certain final drive ratio. Then again i was a horrible pan car racer.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I'm sure the commenters from 19 years ago will get back to you on that one.
More like 30 years ago.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by leadfootedfool
More like 30 years ago.
No need for guess work. The thread was started (and last active) in September 2005, so almost 19 years before this unnecessary grave digging exercise.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by leadfootedfool
More like 30 years ago.
math is hard
jo_er86 and gigaplex like this.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

More low post accounts trying to hit the threshold so they can put something it the for sale/trade section...
Old 04-10-2024, 10:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TheBeave
More low post accounts trying to hit the threshold so they can put something it the for sale/trade section...
19 years ago I was Turtlemaster on here, I responded, my comment was based on how i felt my car reacted with different size spurs but the same ratio, I was lucky enough to have
asked several pro drivers this question. ok so a "newbie" had a question, instead of starting a new thread and asking he did the right thing and did a forum search and a 19 year old post came up.
why all the hate, its a good question, more people should pay attention. IMO it does make a difference
Old 04-11-2024, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
19 years ago I was Turtlemaster on here, I responded, my comment was based on how i felt my car reacted with different size spurs but the same ratio, I was lucky enough to have
asked several pro drivers this question. ok so a "newbie" had a question, instead of starting a new thread and asking he did the right thing and did a forum search and a 19 year old post came up.
why all the hate, its a good question, more people should pay attention. IMO it does make a difference
agreed he used the search feature as he should
Lonestar, busman and River19 like this.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skypilot
Looked more like they were reacting to an analogy rather than asking a question.
DirkW likes this.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Looked more like they were reacting to an analogy rather than asking a question.
well, a commenter from 19 years ago did get back to him.. lol
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by woozer71
I would like to know the difference Big spur and a small spur? Do you get better acceleration with a small spur, but lower top speed and with a bigger spur, slower acceleration and better top speed?
Spur and pinion are a set. So for example if you want to achieve a 4 to one gear ratio you may run a big spur gear with a smaller pinion to get smoother acceleration out of the turns. but for more speed quickly you should run a smaller spur with a bigger pinion and still maintain the same gear ratio. Calculate your gear ratio, number of teeth on your spur divided by number of teeth on your pinion.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 1spunspur
Spur and pinion are a set. So for example if you want to achieve a 4 to one gear ratio you may run a big spur gear with a smaller pinion to get smoother acceleration out of the turns. but for more speed quickly you should run a smaller spur with a bigger pinion and still maintain the same gear ratio. Calculate your gear ratio, number of teeth on your spur divided by number of teeth on your pinion.
If you change to a smaller spur with a bigger pinion that will change the ratio.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pops
You don't have to flame me, and you can just hit the quote button instead of typing out my quote, then you would not mis-quote me.

Off hand I can't find it exactly but on the Yoke BD for example:

96 Spur 30 Pinion (64P) = 6.40 FDR
109 Spur 34 Pinion (64P) = 6.41 FDR

94 Spur 31 Pinion (64P) = 6.06 FDR
112 Spur 37 Spur (64P) = 6.05 FDR

Now are you saying that the 109 Spur will have a higher top end than the 96 Spur? That the top end will make a difference of greater than 1/100th?

I am not sure that a smaller or larger spur will accelerate faster, this has been argued about on this site many times. I am pretty sure that the top end is ultimately decided by the final drive ratio and roll out though.
the top end is the same.
Isaac likes this.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

If you change to a smaller spur with a bigger pinion that will change the ratio.
do the math first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.