R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-22-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation New To Forum! - How fast can I go reasonably? Please Help!!! :-)

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and have recently decided to dable back into the hobby. I recenlty purchased a 1/10 Scale Nitro Powered .18 2 speed touring car (HIMOTO - NASCADA PRO - NOT THE GREATEST QUAILITY MADE IN CHINA) just to have some fun with at the parking lot. After alot of hassel including fuel spray on my clothes, fumbling with the car, setup trouble and etc. I decided to pack it up and go electric! I purchased the Team Losi XXX-S Sport II RTR which comes with a 19 turn motor. I'm using a Sanyo 6 cell 3600 nimh pack with the car. I was plesantly surprised to see that the car seemed to go quite quickly, I'm guessing around 25mph out-of-the-box. This in contrast to my friends HPI RS4 seemed about half as fast! I found my "playing" run-time around 20 minutes. Here's where I need the help. I've been doing my research and can't find anything strait forward enough. Basically I want to go fast! How fast? Well let's double the stock figure! I don't mind changing battery packs (I bought 3). Can someone/anyone help me with a setup! How many turns do I need? I understand the lower the faster with mor torque? Is their a turning point? Can someone suggest a car? Would a all-carbon unit like the TC4 factory be a better platform? Is shaft better than belt? I know there can be hundreds of opinions but perhaps someones own experience and setup will be helpful. I'd like to be able to run at least 5-7 minutes, so if anyone can suggest a motor (Trinity Cobalt?) an ESC? A car? OR SHOULD SHOULD I BUY A GOOD QUALITY NITRO LIKE THE HPI RS4 - I'm hopping electric can keep up!!! You can email me as well: [email protected] YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks, Alex (Toronto, Canada)
alexdb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

WHAT are you going to do with it, if you have enough money 100 mph is possible
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:07 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If you want to go fast and have decent runtime pick up a Novak GTB Velociti 5.5 system. You will also want decent batteries such as GP3300/3700 or IB3800s. For the xxx-s I would recommend the heavy duty belt and kevlar spur gear.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...tem/index.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=LOSA3280

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=LOSA3943

You can probably pick all this up at your local shop. With the proper gearing you should be able to reach 45mph+ at least.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #4
Tech Master

How to go fast??

Thats easy with money...The more money you spent the faster you go in the straight line.

Just just a good ESC like a Novak GTX for example,highest rated cells you can get,and a 6 turn motors like a Orion V2 for eg,and gear it to the moon like use a small spur with a big pinon(be warned,you could cook your motor! )

Its should get you faster or on par at least with your friend's car.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:08 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

don't forget about brushless! If you can pop for it, get the lrp sphere and the reedy neo1. It is pricey but i drove a car w/ it and it was doing at LEAST 65mph

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:51 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If your going to run the car on unkept surfaces like parking lots and such you may want to stay away from cars with exposed belt drives like the RS4. Ive had a nitro rs4 and a electric pro3 and they like jamming rocks between the belts and the diffs. Thats just my .02
rivbluenoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Hi,

First of all ... for be fast you don't need to spend big $$$

Also forget about Novak brushless ... this is designed for be "slow" and smooth ... not for be cheap or ultrafast ! ... per Bob Novak post in a forum ... the BL deign approved to be ROAR/IFMAR frindly ... implies that Novak brushless motor have to be similar in power to the brushed mod motor ... so design constrains have been put in the rules for don't give much advantage to brushless motor !

About ESC ... there are 30$ ESC that are capable to handle any brushed motor and up to 10 NiMh cell ... so if you don't need ultra smooth and ultra programmable set up (that are nice on a track for win races, but useless on a parking lot) ... you can save big $$$

I personally see two approach:
- Keep with 6/7 NiMh cells ... your Sanyo 3600 are already good for you application
- Going high voltage ... with 3S/4S Lipo (Kokam 3200 ... or cheap chinese Lipo)

If you want to stay with NiMh cells ... I would also keep the brushed motor .. Eagle Racing (#EAGLE-2390-080) Z-Zone Modified Motor 9TD (Hand Wound) (30$ from rcmart) .. and a TP-M8 High Frequency Motor Speed Control (29$ from rcmart) ... the only inportant thing is to make a proper gearing ... like 1:8 in order to don't kill your motor ... or downgrade performance already after 1 battery pack.

If you want to go for HighVoltage ... then I would suggest:

3S 2200 Lipo 12C (from HiModel for 40$)
HM60 Brushless ESC (from HiModel for 47$)
Faigo 380 9T motor (in use there is a distributor with the latest Faigo version that are specially designed for car ... they just run 60$).

Which top speed to can achive ?
- WIth a brushed set up 40-50mph are possible ... maybe even far more ... but the life of the motor .. without a comm lathe could be quite short !
- With a high volt brushless set up ... 60+ mph are easy. (and you don't have problem with the life of the motor ... but LiPo cells don't have a long life like NiMh ..)

If budget is not an issue ... then there are other possible combination ... but you can easily run up over 300$ for a motor-esc combo ...
For 6-7 cells set up the top motor is the Plantenberg Shadow (as well Hacker and Lehner do have high quiality motor)
As ESC ... schultze and MGM are the most powerfull BL ESC available (up to 160Amp & 16/32 cells)

e_lm_70

P.S: If pure top speed is you go ... maybe you can consider a good Lehner 1920 motor ... but this will make acceleration less impressive compared to smaller motor ... and as well it will suck a lot of current to your battery ... making very short run time
e_lm_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:22 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default You guys are the BEST!!! Thanks!!! Brushless or Brushed???

Thanks for all you input!!! I will scout out these parts on Ebay, one though was Brushless as suggested. Is a brushlesss motor and esc as reliable? Does it have as much torque? Also from everyones input I take it that as long as the car is somewhat higher end, straight line performance isn't much of a factor? I'm glad to hear that electric can keep up with Nitro, I really didn't want the headache again...

alexdb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdb7
Thanks for all you input!!! I will scout out these parts on Ebay, one though was Brushless as suggested. Is a brushlesss motor and esc as reliable? Does it have as much torque? Also from everyones input I take it that as long as the car is somewhat higher end, straight line performance isn't much of a factor? I'm glad to hear that electric can keep up with Nitro, I really didn't want the headache again...

Brushed or Brushless is matter of taste.

Top end BL are more expensive then Top end Brushed.
And don't forget that anyhow if you want more power, you also need more power supply (better battery or more voltage).

The suggested cheap BL set up, is the minimum that work decently for a CAR.
The HM60 ESC is a cheap esc since is mailny designed for airplane ... but I did personally test that it works fine also in my 1/10 car ... (after a proper adjustment of my radio tx ... note if your radio is not a computerized radio it most probably not allow you to use this esc) ... as well it doesn't have standard brake ... but just a configurable autobrake/abs function (soft/medium/hard) ... finally with this esc you can get high power only with high voltage (due to the limit of 60amp ... but it can power up to 20v ... 20v x 60amp = 1200watt = 2HP !!!)

Sure there are better BL esc ... but nothing for less the 140$.

so ... said all ... it is still difficult to say which way to go.

Maybe a step approach is the best ... get a powerfull but cheap esc/brushed motor ... it is just 60$ investment

Then when you want even more, you can start with the cheap BL setup ... and decide which battery to use (maybe 8xGP2200 is more cost efficient then 3S Lipo)

I guess go step by step up in speed is more nice then make a boom up ... as well you could fine an edge that your car drivetrain don't support over some power!

For very high speed foam tired are better ... since they can explode or ballon like the rubber one

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

for el-cheapo speed, get a chaep mod like a reedy flash point, and find a chaep mod speed control like a duratrx 8 turn, just to name 1, but i still think the reedy brushless will be fastest, is way!!! faster than any novak brushless

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

You can get a Novak Dually for $90 and a Trinity Cobalt motor for $55 (yes you are correct the lower the turn the faster but lower toruqe the motor has).
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Stuff the GTB and LRP system. Go sensorless.

A good, cheap setup would be the Lehner 5300 (motor) and the MGM 80A Compro (controller)

This system can handle around 9 cells which is plenty fast. On 6 cells this system is still faster than the GTB system. The GTB system can't handle more than 6 cells.

Sensorless BL systems are found at www.starluckrc.com and www.rc-monster.com

Sean
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Default Fast where.

Where is it you want to go fast? Do you want participate in an organized race with other cars at a track? Do you just want to race a friend around a make shift course in a dusty parking lot?
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:25 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dropped a sphere/neo brushlesss setup in a standard xxx-s (non-graphite)
used a 8000 lipo, hit exactly 40mph on the radar, could have geared ithe crap out of it (maybe get it up to the high 40's , but needed power on an infield section. i ran it with a 3600 and dropped a couple of mph, i could run it about the same with the nitros on the infield section, but lost time on the straight when the nitros hit second gear.
www.vintagercracing.com/forum/
TeamBrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote