R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2002, 08:08 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Threaded shock bodies for XXX-S

What size bodies should I run, noticed there were two different ones? Is one specific to the front/rear and vice-versa?
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
Tech Regular

From what I've done and read you use the short bodies in the front and the longer in the back.
sportracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:12 AM   #3
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I run the .36 bodies in the front and rear. I run .28" shafts in the front, and .36" shafts in the rear.

The .28" shafts will only work in the front.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:21 AM   #4
Tech Elite

What are the shorter front shafts doing for you? I know the car has droop adjustment screws on it and you could put travel limiters on the shaft internally as well. Do you gain something else from using the shorter shafts that I'm not seeing?

Are the stock bodies .36 all the way around?
Old 10-05-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by madweazl
What are the shorter front shafts doing for you? I know the car has droop adjustment screws on it and you could put travel limiters on the shaft internally as well. Do you gain something else from using the shorter shafts that I'm not seeing?

Are the stock bodies .36 all the way around?
The main reason for the short shafts or shocks would be to lower the pistion in the oil.

With the stock shocks, the pistion is always riding in the top few mm of the shock body. There are airbubbles up there..

With the short shocks, the pistion rides right in the center of the oil.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 10:32 AM   #6
Tech Elite

There is no air in there if you bleed your shocks well, it takes a bit of time but its pretty easy on the Losi setup. I cant imagine anyone running a shock that hasnt been bled well. The oil will foam if there is any air in there really easily, especially if its a not a synthetic.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:44 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

The Losi shocks are an unpressurized design.

It is impossible to build them without air inside. There is no volume compensating device located anywhere inside of them to absorb the pressure created when the shock is compressed. So you can only have enough oil in the shock body so that is is perfectly full when the shock is fully compressed.

The first time you extent the shock to is maximum length, it creates a vacum inside of the shock body, and air will enter around the shock cartridge.

Now back to the original question, .28" bodies/shafts in the front, .36" in the rear. On my foam tire car I run .36" bodies on the front, since with a 2.25" tire there is plenty of uptravel.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:46 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Losi shocks have been the same since the JRX2, you can get all the air out, it just takes work and to keep them nice you'll be doing it before each race day. The fact that shorter pistons are being used to keep the piston in the oil is just pointless though, if there is air in there it will foam and you'll have the same effect, why bother if that were the reason? See what I'm saying. If its to get more travel out of the shock than I can see the point almost, I'm not quite sure how the shorter shaft is providing more travel
Old 10-06-2002, 10:07 AM   #9
Tech Regular

before i put on the short shocks i couldnt even get the ride height below 6mm. the reason the short shock gives more travel is because you have to have the long shocks almost fully compressed to get a low enough ride height.
ausracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 10:09 AM   #10
Tech Regular

forgot to add, losi shocks need air inside them to work properly. if their was no air then the shocks would have heaps of rebound. other shocks like yokomo have a peice of foam in them so you can have no air.
ausracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 01:24 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Exactly ausracer.

If there is no air, then it must be all fluid. If it is all fluid, how can the shock compress? Associated shocks, Yokomo, Schumacher, all have a piece of closed-cell foam ruber in the body to displace some volume when compressed. This makes that design an pressurized shock. The Losi shocks do not have such an item, which makes them a non-pressurized design.

When you first build them there is a vaccum in the shock. For about 90 seconds. Every notice the shaft pulls back intothe body after you bleed them? The pressure will equalize quickly by pulling in air arounnd the seals. Losi shocks are praised for ease of build. Fill to the threads, stick the cartridge in, compress, tighten, done.

As for the foaming, air is at the top of the body away from the piston in every application, so that is not an issue. If you would like, you can go and ask Francis, Todd, Drake...whoever, and they will tell you that the Losi shock is this way.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:18 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Humm, no need to ask the big dogs. I trust what you write and I've been messing with their shocks for 15 years now so I'm well aware of how they work There is a fine line when they are bled properly and when they hydraulic though. I suppose there has to be some air in there when complete (shaft displaces its volume when shock is compressed). I rebuild my shocks often and when I remove them from the car they still pull the pistons in when extended and out when compressed. I'm a maintenance freak I guess but the shocks always have to be smooth for me.

Back to the question, couldnt you just add a limiter on the inside of the shock under the piston and get the same results? I guess it doesnt really matter but you arent spending any money adding the limiter. I noticed that their (Losis site) setups where indicating the use of the smaller shocks up front as well. Guess it doesnt really matter though.

I actually purchased a TC3 today, couldnt wait for the Graphite Plus and I needed a car with some eye candy on it to catch some attention out here. Hopefully it will all work out, have about 4.5 months left and I think everyone would really like to get involved in the hobby. Cant wait to start building the kit, gets pretty boring out here
Old 10-07-2002, 01:38 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The way to catch attention is by winning races.
Nobody looks good losing.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote