Wiki Posts
Search

track manners

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default track manners

I have been accused of being an aggressive driver on a carpet track and I do not know what I am doing to be aggressive.

I would like to know what is expected of drivers.

If a faster car comes up behind a slower car going into a corner, should the slower car change his line or hold the line until after corner exit?
What should driver following do if car leading brakes earlier than expected?
After rounding a corner driver comes to a couple of tangles cars and doesn't have time to avoid collision, what should driver do?
If I spin in a corner, I will sit still until car behind get around rather than pull out in front. Is this correct behavior?

Basically, I would like the more experienced driver here fill me in on what I should do. I try to drive fast and clean, but apparently something I am doing is considered poor manners.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Try to take the outside lane and announce it.

Whatever you do, try to tell the driver behind you what your intentions are.

Don't lunge into the next corner flat out after someone just overtook you in the last corner. You're not going to make it around the corner, but most likely take the other guy out when he slows down to take the corner. This is typical newbie aggressive behaviour.

Watch some high end competitions on youtube and see what is the etiquette.

Some people get angry or start swearing when you do something wrong or just make a mistake. Apologise and disregard their poor manners.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ncpantherfan
I have been accused of being an aggressive driver on a carpet track and I do not know what I am doing to be aggressive.

If a faster car comes up behind a slower car going into a corner, should the slower car change his line or hold the line until after corner exit?
What should driver following do if car leading brakes earlier than expected?
After rounding a corner driver comes to a couple of tangles cars and doesn't have time to avoid collision, what should driver do?
If I spin in a corner, I will sit still until car behind get around rather than pull out in front. Is this correct behavior?

Basically, I would like the more experienced driver here fill me in on what I should do. I try to drive fast and clean, but apparently something I am doing is considered poor manners.
Thanks
Why don't you ask the people saying you have poor manners? They could probably give more relevant feedback on specific situations than the conjecture you are likely to get here.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Where I run no one on drivers stand talks. Every time I change my line after I am set for the corner I get out of the grove and hit the wall. What I have been doing is after the corner I slow to let them by. If I see them before I an lined up, I do slide wide, and slow to allow them by.
The only racing experience I have is on parking lot tracks and I am a fair driver. I am really struggling with carpet and I do make mistakes, but I try to not have am impact on the fast drivers.

Tonight my vta car was so bad, I didn't even run the aim because there were 10 cars in the aim and I didn't want to cause a crash and break a mother racers car.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

No one said anything to me, I heard it through the grape vine.
I don't want to be the new guy causing problems.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If a faster car comes up behind a slower car going into a corner, should the slower car change his line or hold the line until after corner exit?When qualifying, if a faster car comes upon a slower car the slow car should let them pass. The slower car should try and be aware that the faster car is approaching and should plan the pass in advance. The faster car in general should not be expected to slow down. As a faster car, sometimes it is quite alarming on how fast the closing distance is. Plan in advance. A faster car will want the corner entry so they can go through their line business as usual.
What should driver following do if car leading brakes earlier than expected?Drive defensively and be aware of circumstances ahead of you. Following bumper to bumper is challenging and sometimes requires the follower to take a slightly different line than the leader to avoid situations like you describe. Target fixation is something that takes time for newer drivers to adjust to. Giving cars some space may avoid unnecessary collisions.
After rounding a corner driver comes to a couple of tangles cars and doesn't have time to avoid collision, what should driver do?If no time, then racing incident. Nevertheless, try and be aware of circumstances ahead of you and the potential reactions due to those circumstances.
If I spin in a corner, I will sit still until car behind get around rather than pull out in front. Is this correct behavior?Sounds good to me. If you're in a high risk area, however, it may be advisable and respectful to let the other drivers know where you've crashed to aid them in avoiding a collision.

Basically, I would like the more experienced driver here fill me in on what I should do. I try to drive fast and clean, but apparently something I am doing is considered poor manners.Driving with traffic and mastering the art of how to pass and be passed is one of most difficult aspects of racing. It'll come with time and experience. We all go through the learning curve. Just you asking these questions leads me to believe you're on the right path.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What you're probably doing is the same thing I have seen many racers do in the struggle to become fast, you're probably overly focused on time and making tenths count that you forget to take it easy when the situation calls for it. If you come up lapped traffic, and they WILL NOT get out of your way in the first corner... let it slide , just continue to a corner where an overtake is easy, like a hairpin or slow section, and they will let you by. You may lose a half of a second, but you'll lose a lot more than that if you hit the guy and both go tumbling across the track.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Where I run no one on drivers stand talks. Every time I change my line after I am set for the corner I get out of the grove and hit the wall. What I have been doing is after the corner I slow to let them by. If I see them before I an lined up, I do slide wide, and slow to allow them by.
The only racing experience I have is on parking lot tracks and I am a fair driver. I am really struggling with carpet and I do make mistakes, but I try to not have am impact on the fast drivers.

Tonight my vta car was so bad, I didn't even run the aim because there were 10 cars in the aim and I didn't want to cause a crash and break a mother racers car.
Sounds like you have the right intentions but need a little more experience. We've all been there. As you get better you will be able to slide over without going so far as to hit the wall. VTA should be pretty easy to handle. Perhaps there are some set up issues with the car making things more difficult than it should be?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Sometimes other drivers are not very helpful/can't be arsed explaining you what annoys them.

I am pretty sure there's a rule book somewhere in your club's docos where you can read all about the etiquette.

The best drivers don't need you to do anything, they'll just overtake you when lapping as if it was the first time. Just don't change your line abruptly and they won't even notice you exist. More often than not, it is the bad drivers that complain.

And if you crash on the main straight, just announce it and make sure all traffic has passed and nobody's coming on before you rejoin.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, while typing I see you have already written some responses. I do not know if the following describes you, but it does many newer drivers.

Newer drivers are often intimidated by the closing speed of faster cars upon them. Combining this with their desire to not interfere with someone else's run, they semi-panic and make over exaggerated maneuvers to let the faster car by. In many cases this ends up with the slower car going WAY wide, getting in the marbles, and hitting a wall just in an effort to get out of the way. My suggestion would be to again plan the pass in advance by having awareness of the positions of the faster cars on the track. Then, when the car comes upon you, check your speed slightly (not dramatically as this may spook the other driver), pull out of the ideal line slightly, let the car pass, and tuck back in well after the car has passed. Do this in advance of the faster car coming upon you, as the closing speed can be faster than expected. After the pass has been made do not get caught with target fixation and try and chase them down. Let them get through the next corner clean, then you're both on your way. Be calm, be as smooth as possible, be patient, and be situationally aware.

Addition: I definitely agree with the above. The good experienced drivers can accommodate almost anyone in their race. Those with less skill may not be as patient. Don't fret them.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

As someone who just started racing on-road this year, after decades of racing full size sports cars, I might pass on what I do.

At first, I was quite slow so I tried to hold my line on track and BE PREDICTABLE. I found that the really fast guys had no problem passing me whenever or wherever they caught me. I actually caused more problems by trying to get out of the way, either hitting the other car as they tried to pass or by getting out of the groove and crashing. Hold your line on the straights and let them work their way by you. Drive your normal line in the corners and they'll either dive inside you going in or pass on the exit.

As I've gotten faster, it's gotten easier to be courteous and "give up" the corner as the fast guys come up to lap me. You just become more comfortable and things slow down for you mentally. I'll just drive a little deeper into the corner and leave the "line" open on inside. They'll dive inside.

We do talk on the stand and if I see someone coming up to lap me, I'll say something like "I see you coming", and they'll know that I see them.

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 11-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

It is the overtaking driver's responsibility to get around cleanly...However if you are slower traffic and being overtaken it is courteous to not make it more difficult than it should be. Newer drivers don't have the car control to get out of the way without taking themselves out and probably the guy they are trying to get by. For those drivers it is best to hold their line, slow down a bit, and try not to be unpredictable. If you do that the faster driver will find their way around easily. If you are a more experienced driver with good car control then getting out of the way is the courteous thing to do.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Experienced drivers know that everyone has to start at a lower skill level. They will most often figure out how to get around you themselves. You should concentrate on improving your driving skills.

If I make a mistake that delay other racers I will apologize for it after or during the race. I've found that doing this opens a dialog with other drivers and they can be a great source of information on ways to drive better in traffic. At the very least it shows others that you don't have aggressive intentions and are aproachable.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If you are getting lapped in a race situation, in my experience the faster driver will be patient enough to wait until the next corner to dive on the inside and this means that the slower driver will take a slightly wider line on the corner. Usually things get unpredictable when trying to lap cars on long straights and so I try to avoid this, and just wait for the next corner.

But like a few others have said above, it all comes down to experience. Experienced drivers will understand that sometimes its just not feasibly to jump out of the way right away and will have no problem waiting a corner or two - lapped traffic is just part of racing.

It's great that you're asking for opinions on what you should do. If those drivers who are complaining aren't willing to take the time to explain to you whats wrong, I don't know how they expect you to learn whats proper etiquette. Probably bad drivers with faster cars.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Just do like BERT and hit everything....lol.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.