R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   getting into 12th scale...what do i need? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/84781-getting-into-12th-scale-what-do-i-need.html)

factory racer 09-21-2005 02:30 PM

getting into 12th scale...what do i need?

Hey guys i have decided im going to get into 12th scale for this fall/winter........i have a list so far of what i need i was wondering if you guys could help me add to it because i no there are always little bits i would need.....now keep in mind i have nothing electric...no soldering iron or anything...please help me......so far my list consits of:
RC12L4
mini servo
battery packs
battery pack case
body
foams
soldering iron
motors
brushes
discharge tray
charger
ESC
Reciever

anything else please help me i need to know ASAP

thanks

mike

squarehead 09-21-2005 03:06 PM

Mike, one of my suggestions if starting from the beginning is, do it right the first time. When buying anything, buy the best you can afford, it won't ever let you down. That goes for tools, chargers, cars... anything

I started from scratch a few months ago, getting back into carpet racing after a very long layoff. Here's what wound up getting receipts in my shop:

Car kit
Tires, enough spares to not worry about them (for stock, purple/grey works just about everywhere)
Battery Packs, at least 3
Charger
Power Supply, at least 15 amps for charger, truer, lathe, etc.
Radio, receiver, mini high speed servo
Motors, stock, 19T or mod... pick your poison based on the big classes locally
Body (Protoform Speed 12, Parma Speed 8)

Suggested Tools:
Soldering Iron Station, Weller, Hakko are two of the big brands. Don't skimp here.
Flat pit board (a $10 piece of 18x24" window acryllic works perfectly)
1/4" nut driver
5/64" hex driver
3/32" hex driver
2.5mm hex driver (motor screws)
.050" hex driver
Ride height gauge

Luxury Tools:
Tire truer
Comm lathe

Other stuff:
Bearing lube/oil
Bushing lube/oil
Comm drops
Battery tape (if your car needs it)
Servo saver for servo
Spare brushes & springs (motor)
Spare optional chassis springs, front end
Spare optional center shock springs
Spare flanged 1/4 x 3/8" axle bearings
Motor spray
16ga silicone wire

I'm sure I missed something, others can fill in the gaps. That should get you to the track without too many catastrophes.

d

RandomFellow 09-21-2005 03:23 PM

Don't forget a receiver pack!

squarehead 09-21-2005 03:25 PM

Running stock and 19T, you don't need one, FWIW.

yellow15 09-21-2005 03:45 PM

apart from what you and ApexSpeed listed, i'll add:

a few pinion gears
a front bumper
and most importantly
Youi'll need LOTS OF TIME!!!
once you started playing 1/12, you'll be so addicted and just want to play/race it all the time!!! :lol:

Marcos.J 09-21-2005 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by factory racer
Hey guys i have decided im going to get into 12th scale for this fall/winter........i have a list so far of what i need i was wondering if you guys could help me add to it because i no there are always little bits i would need.....now keep in mind i have nothing electric...no soldering iron or anything...please help me......so far my list consits of:
RC12L4
mini servo
battery packs
battery pack case
body
foams
soldering iron
motors
brushes
discharge tray
charger
ESC
Reciever

thanks

mike

you will need this!The BMI Racing 12th scale conversion is a direct fit for the Asc 12L3 or 12L4.

http://www.bmiracing.com/products_ae.htm

http://www.bmiracing.com/images/BMI%...ssis%20kit.jpg

CarlosG. 09-21-2005 05:22 PM

You might also need a Tweak staion ( either MIP or Integy).

JamesArluck 09-21-2005 05:38 PM

RC12L4
mini servo
battery packs
battery pack case
body
foams
soldering iron
motors
brushes
discharge tray
charger
ESC
Reciever

thanks

mike

Some parts that will make tuning the car a lot easier:
-Lowered pod plates (allow you to use smaller tires while still maintaining correct ride height, CRC and IRS make good ones that are reasonably priced)
-Lowered front arms (allow you to use smaller front tires while still maintaining correct ride height, IRS sells these)
-IRS rear ride height adjusters (allow you to adjust the rear ride height in .5mm incriments, much finer than the stock AE ones)
-IRS front ride height shims (allow you to adjust front ride height in much finer incriments than the stock AE washers)
-Silva or CRC Shock (much easier to build and bleed)
-.018, .020, .022, .024 front springs
-a set of center shock springs
-CRC graphite servo saver brace (keeps from breaking servo savers in hard crashes.)
-T-bars of different thicknesses (Powerpush makes some that are thicker/thinner than stock to allow you to adjust rear stiffness).

Some spare parts you will want to keep handy:
-Servo savers (if you don't get the brace)
-T bars (replace when they get white lines or cracks)
-bodies (when learning to drive 12th scale you'll go through a few bodies, mainly cracking in the front wheel wells).

Hope this helps. 12th scale is a lot of fun. It may seem like a lot of stuff to buy all at once, but it's all relatively inexpensive and most of the parts transfer from one car to the next.

-James

hyena boy 09-21-2005 05:41 PM

more things to have

a few extra "t" plates of diferant thickness'. one more thing, i would buy three our four sets of tires to start with and rotate though them, i usually run two runs on a set then change them. the tires don't wear out as fast i you do that.

another car to check out is the crc t-force. it comes with all of the good stuf. i have been running crc carpet knife for years, and i love it.

otherwise i agree with everything that has been said so far.

jeff

yellow15 09-21-2005 07:32 PM

What are these? got any pics or links to these items?

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
-Lowered pod plates (allow you to use smaller tires while still maintaining correct ride height, CRC and IRS make good ones that are reasonably priced)
-Lowered front arms (allow you to use smaller front tires while still maintaining correct ride height, IRS sells these)
-IRS rear ride height adjusters (allow you to adjust the rear ride height in .5mm incriments, much finer than the stock AE ones)

factory racer 09-21-2005 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
you will need this!The BMI Racing 12th scale conversion is a direct fit for the Asc 12L3 or 12L4.

http://www.bmiracing.com/products_ae.htm

http://www.bmiracing.com/images/BMI%...ssis%20kit.jpg

Why would i need this BMI conversion????

thanks

Mike

factory racer 09-21-2005 09:12 PM

bye the way....thanks for all your replies guys i really appreciate it thanks alot

Mike

JamesArluck 09-21-2005 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by yellow15
What are these? got any pics or links to these items?

www.teamirsrc.com

yellow15 09-21-2005 09:23 PM

Why would i need this BMI conversion????

thanks

Mike

I don't think you'll NEED the BMI conversion kit. Esp as you are just starting,
but you will probably WANT it. :lol: Just look at how sexy it is :eek:

RandomFellow 09-21-2005 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Running stock and 19T, you don't need one, FWIW.

You do if you want to get the most out of your servo (4.8V vs. 6.0V).