Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's hot in 1/12th on road???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:36 PM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default German prototype.

These are some shots of the German Ascari project car. They are testing it in Corally-based and Asso/CRC based setup.
Their 4-link rear pod setup allows for a roll center that is centimeters below the car. It seems to compensate for the loss of traction due to the battery placement.
Attached Thumbnails what's hot in 1/12th on road???-ascari_12c4-2_512.jpg   what's hot in 1/12th on road???-ascari_4a_199.jpg   what's hot in 1/12th on road???-ascari_4a_crc_881.jpg   what's hot in 1/12th on road???-lenker_842.jpg  
Old 09-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland
These are some shots of the German Ascari project car. They are testing it in Corally-based and Asso/CRC based setup.
Their 4-link rear pod setup allows for a roll center that is centimeters below the car. It seems to compensate for the loss of traction due to the battery placement.
That is pretty impressive!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default homemade 1/12

Here is the pictures of my home made 1/12 with battery in the middle of chassis. I did that ten years ago, notice the old, old 12L's rear pod.

Certainly, mine does not have any craftmanship whatsoever , all I had was a Dremel. But I did it first.
Attached Thumbnails what's hot in 1/12th on road???-103_0041-2.jpg   what's hot in 1/12th on road???-103_0042-2.jpg  
Old 09-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roland S
Here is the pictures of my home made 1/12 with battery in the middle of chassis. I did that ten years ago, notice the old, old 12L's rear pod.

Certainly, mine does not have any craftmanship whatsoever , all I had was a Dremel. But I did it first.
And got it to work well at that!
Old 09-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What is the projected date of availability on the CRC/Ass. kit. That is simply awesome.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

from what i remember...Joel Johnson (Trinity) did up a 4 cell and a 6 cell up the middle 1/12 and a 6 up the middle 1/10 self-built custom car back in the 1990-1993 era. it was never mass produced and i heard back then only he could really drive them.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roland S

Very Nice!

at our track in Tuscon, there is a elderly racer who just moved from california. he built his own custom link car for 6-cells packed together in the middle. single dampener tube, old 12L pod plates, same u-shape top brace. i asked him if it was a early CRC or SM car. it is narrower than a REV-4. he laughed and commented that his car predates those.

he has set up the car to run 4-cells in a T-config and has been doing consistent. hard to describe, attached is a simple drawing. the back 2 cells go around the single pivot the car has.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
config.bmp (117.2 KB, 453 views)
Old 09-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

now that's innovation.

i always liked the looks of a Corally, their one piece t-bar/bottom pod plate reminds me of my last Delta P-12 Spyder car which had a t-bar basically flush wiyth the main chassis. i am still amazed to this day that no-one makes a conversion to run readily available AE type wheels and diffs on them.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone have any idea why no other manafacturer has done the 4 cells in a row down the center of the chassis?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Northeast Racer
Does anyone have any idea why no other manufacturer has done the 4 cells in a row down the center of the chassis?
Because the weight ends up being to far forward for the car to work. With 4 cells the batts need to be slammed as far back as possible to function properly. You can move them forward a few millimeters for carpet but thats it. Beyond that the car gets goofy.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Which might be why the PTI car has been 'in development' for several years now wihtout a release?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
from what i remember...Joel Johnson (Trinity) did up a 4 cell and a 6 cell up the middle 1/12 and a 6 up the middle 1/10 self-built custom car back in the 1990-1993 era. it was never mass produced and i heard back then only he could really drive them.
Those cars were all Dieter!! The Evolution 10 was a World Champion, and readily available. I drove one or two back in the day, and they were PHENOMENAL! The tenth scale pan medium was perfect for a layout like that because the cars had MASSIVE rear grip, so if you mounted the rx and esc towards the rear of the chassis, that was plenty of rear weight bias. I distinctly remember struggling to free-up conventional saddle 10th scalers on carpet, and this layout most certainly did that. CRC/Speedmerchant also had a car called the ROADKILL 10 that was laid out in the same fashion, but featured the Speedtune rear suspension, and was a pretty wicked chassis! No side shocks like the Trinity car had, and anybody whose ever built one of the old delta-style shocks would tell you what a blessing that was .

I got to see Joel run the 12th scale car at Cleveland, and it looked absolutely DIABOLICAL. He wasn't the only one who had one of the cars, but he was the only one who was left running it when qualifying started. It seemed to yaw back and forth on power, and never really settled down, even at the end of the straight. SCARY to say the least.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Subterranean roll centers anyone....

A-Main Racing Mach12 designed by Rich Boomsma of Kansas City back in the early 90's. Rich was better known for his electric to nitro truck conversions.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Ascari cars

It is possible to aquire a version of the current Ascari 1/12th car. Email this friend of mine: [email protected] and mention I sent you.
The car you will get, however might differ in minor details from the final version that's still in development.
Mathijs Hermens, aka Pro ten Holland
If anyone's interested, there's also a 10th scale pancar version of the Ascari car. I will post pictures if there's some ineterest. This one is at its final stage of development.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
Very Nice!

at our track in Tuscon, there is a elderly racer who just moved from california. he built his own custom link car for 6-cells packed together in the middle. single dampener tube, old 12L pod plates, same u-shape top brace. i asked him if it was a early CRC or SM car. it is narrower than a REV-4. he laughed and commented that his car predates those.

he has set up the car to run 4-cells in a T-config and has been doing consistent. hard to describe, attached is a simple drawing. the back 2 cells go around the single pivot the car has.
Do you have any pics of this car? Back in the mid 90's in NorCal there was a guy I raced with that had a car that sounds exactly like this. I'm curious to see if it's the same car.

Thanks,

James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.