starter class?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 PM
8RC
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default starter class?

What's a good starter class for on road. Affordable. Coming from off road?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Best bet is USVTA, or if you like a little faster USGT. If you got the cahonez for it just start out in 17.5.

VTA: tires are most expensice out of three, but last a real long time on carpet, and you dont have to worry about others having better tires. Motor is the same way. But you can get a HobbyWing justock for really cheap and no worries. Batts are also fairly cheap since it is capped at 5000mah. Also you can get an older used chassis and still be very competative.

USGT: Cheapest tires of the three. Batts can get more expensive since you have no limits, motors are any manufacturer. But dont worry about having the motor of the week. Just get almost any 21.5 to start with.
It will be atleast one season before your motor is whats holding you back. Same thing goes for chassis and ESC as it did in VTA.

17.5 : Tires are middle ground price, last a while, but you have to find a tire that works for you. Its not too bad as there are really only 2 or 3 sets of premounts that dominate. Get what the hot shoe at your track gets. Bodies, lots of performance options. Dont race the class so dont knowwhats popular right now. ESC to start with a justock once again will work, but you may want to upgrade after a season. Motors... well I'd do same as I mentioned in USGT. Batts, you want high capacity to keep voltage up during a run. As for chassis, you can get used no prob, but I would stick with something less than 2 years old. And that not because older chassis cant compete, it will just be easier to getset-up help with more modern chassis.

Overall, the three can cost about the same, or get progressivly more expensive. Its up to you. Biggest thing is get into a class you think you will enjoy.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Affordable? Probably VTA will be best. A set of tires will last you a very long time, and they'll just get better and better until they tear apart completely. Like Professor said, you can run older chassis to save costs and still be competitive with everyone else. It doesn't require the latest and greatest to be the best.

Also, electronics are cheap. $50 Justock ESC and any 25.5 motor and you're in business.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Depends on your skills.

My son came to TC from 1/8 electric off road buggies, where he was an OK driver running in the middle field in the national league. He jumped right into modified with no problems.

Runs now indoor on small tracks, still modified. Occasionally running stock (13.5T) because indoor mod is not big, and that is so slow compared to mod.

So, it depends on your skills. If you are a good driver that picks up fast, I would say that stock 13.5T is the slowest to start with, otherwise you will get bored quickly.

I don't comment on the "affordable" issue. To me it is illusive. It may be cheaper in the long run to run a 13.5 blinky setup than a mod setup, but if that is a concern, the cost will probably be a concern anyway. It always just adds up to way more than expected.

Last edited by Salkin; 11-14-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It will depend on whether you buy a completely new or used setup. You can find some sweet deals on used and not abused chassis in the for sale forum. I picked up 2 XRay T3'12s for about $225 each for USGT and VTA builds.

TC - New chassis, motor, servo and ESC can easily set you back $600 or a lot more easily. High end gear, high end prices. But, you can always go to VTA and USGT if 17.5, 13.5 or mod isn't for you.

VTA or USGT- see "TC", but get a used quality durable chassis, like XRay and the ESCs tend to be a lot cheaper. Your still talking between $400 and $500 to get a car on the track.

Cheap and durable racing:

GT12 (huge in the UK) and Legends. Both of these classes don't get talked about much, but are a lot of fun and cheap to run.

The only car I don't have is a Legends chassis.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

I have to give you props on this one bronson! I'd argue a little but just because Def start in a class where tires are the same so USGT or USVTA as its a given for traction. The rest is dialing the car in for a driver's particular driving style and abilities. It will help with the learning curve.

I will add one thing. When considering onroad, SETUP tools are a requirement as a single setting could mean ice skating to being to difficult to drive consistently. And the learning curve is steep at first. I think this is the thing that pushes most away from on road where offroad is mostly tires then setup.

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Best bet is USVTA, or if you like a little faster USGT. If you got the cahonez for it just start out in 17.5.

VTA: tires are most expensice out of three, but last a real long time on carpet, and you dont have to worry about others having better tires. Motor is the same way. But you can get a HobbyWing justock for really cheap and no worries. Batts are also fairly cheap since it is capped at 5000mah. Also you can get an older used chassis and still be very competative.

USGT: Cheapest tires of the three. Batts can get more expensive since you have no limits, motors are any manufacturer. But dont worry about having the motor of the week. Just get almost any 21.5 to start with.
It will be atleast one season before your motor is whats holding you back. Same thing goes for chassis and ESC as it did in VTA.

17.5 : Tires are middle ground price, last a while, but you have to find a tire that works for you. Its not too bad as there are really only 2 or 3 sets of premounts that dominate. Get what the hot shoe at your track gets. Bodies, lots of performance options. Dont race the class so dont knowwhats popular right now. ESC to start with a justock once again will work, but you may want to upgrade after a season. Motors... well I'd do same as I mentioned in USGT. Batts, you want high capacity to keep voltage up during a run. As for chassis, you can get used no prob, but I would stick with something less than 2 years old. And that not because older chassis cant compete, it will just be easier to getset-up help with more modern chassis.

Overall, the three can cost about the same, or get progressivly more expensive. Its up to you. Biggest thing is get into a class you think you will enjoy.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

What were you running in offroad? You might be able to carry over the electronics.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 8RC
What's a good starter class for on road. Affordable. Coming from off road?
17.5 TC is going to be the most widely available class. But you will have to check with your local tracks/clubs to see what classes are offered.