R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-22-2005, 01:12 AM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What is the point of this thread?

What is the point of this thread? What is next, belt or shaft, Ford or Chevy, Pepsi or Coke? People will say the best car is...... whatever they currently own. A newbie should ask around the people at the track that he/she is planning to race at. Then, off the track, he/she can come in here to ask questions regarding that particular brand of car. As we all know, RCtech has a wealth of knowledge coming from all kinds of drivers, from factory to regular club racers. Well you can say Brand X is the bomb, then newbie guy/gal takes your word for buys it and then goes to the track only to find out that brand Y is the most popular. Brand X is not even supported by the shop or the other racers, then what?

A seasoned racer will not ask this question and won't even care if he is the only one running brand X since he is experienced enough to know where to get parts online and the hot setup of factory X driver.

Again, newbie guy/gal, go to your local track and ask around. People there are always willing to help. Then when you decide what car to run, visit one of the many threads here for that car, people are always here/there to help.

One last thing, stay away from the H thread.
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:41 AM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

elnitro,

This thread's purpose is so we do not get a bunch of these same thread started and taking up space on here week after week. I personally find that if we can point those that have this question in mind to this thread we can cut down on amount of new thread of the same topic being started over and over and consolidate all information in one thread.

A newbie should ask for information anywhere they can, and that includes R/C Tech, which as you point out has a wealth of information and a great group of knowledgeable folks on here.

If you guys don't want this thread on it, just say so (although quite a few voted yes to have one) and we can go back to reading numerous "what's the best..." thread every week. I'm [email protected] if I do and [email protected] if I don't... but you guys let me know

Steve Wang
Old 09-22-2005, 06:05 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is a good idea Steve and if more people gave their experiences with certain cars, characteristics of certain cars and dislikes then others that may have a interest in said car can make a more informed choice. There are alot of TCs out. Asking for opinions on what car is best is no more stupid than flaming on a guy for asking.

Rod
RKeasler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:00 AM   #49
Tech Regular

i think alot of people here have lost sight of when they were new to the sport... there are pro over 50 of kits to get.... and as you all know there are only a few that are race worthy at a top level...
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Steve, deffiently keep it going.
I think it would probably be best served by a new sticky thread... with discussion aimed Solely at the new racers, rather than arguing over which cars are best.
like I said before, a thread where pro's and cons of each top car (and maybe some of the lower level ones, plus older cars that could be considered good second hand buys) plus general statements of advice for the new racer (such as check out your lhs/local track, find out whats popular) would probably work out well.

Keep the thread unlocked, and let people add measured comments... might require a bit of moderating if it gets out of hand, but it's surely got to be better than people moaning over all the "whats the best" threads?

Just some thoughts
Ed
Old 09-22-2005, 10:18 AM   #51
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Just a suggestion......

Steve,
Just a suggestion, why not create a sticky for a beginner? Like a "Beginner's Guide or FAQ" or something like that. It will cover the general questions most of us asked when we were just starting. Bullet points like:
1. What radio should I get, AM or FM?
2. What charger should I get and the difference between an AC/DC charger and DC only?
3. What motor should I start with?
4. What is the difference between NiCd and NiMH?
5. What hand tools are necessary to build my first car?
6. What kind of esc should I get, forward only or reversing?
etc.etc..

I'm sure a lot more can be added to this list.

Again, these are just some thoughts that can help steer a newcomer to make the right decisions.
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #52
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

You know, while these types of thread irritate the regulars, they are valuable. First of all, if they bother you don't read and respond to them. Pretty simple. If you don't have anything to contribute, don't waste your own and everyone else's time. Second, stop complaining about them. Not everyone is a pro like you, and may need some input from someone who knows more about the subject.

There are two types of responses to these posts; one, "my ________ is the best, you should buy it." They usually are sponsored by someone who gives them discounts or breaks to use their parts or cars, or they have never used anything else to even offer a validated opinion. I love the guys who are constantly hawking their cars, batteries, motors, etc. and they only parrot what the sponsor wants them to say. When was the last time you heard a team driver of any sort say, "you know, I love the stuff I'm using, but this other product I think works better."

The second type of opinion found in these threads, is the one that is valuable to someone trying to make a decision on anything. These opinions come from people who have owned and tried various products, and can offer objective viewpoints on what worked for them. In forums like this, it is almost impossible to weed through everything to get those opinions and input. More often than not, the individuals who have these opinions to offer, don't bother getting in the middle of a "my car is best" argument. Some, fortunately, will take the time to send an e-mail or a PM with their input.

Everyone needs to put themselves in other's shoes. I have 20+ years of R/C racing background, and recently had a tough decision on what touring kit to purchase. Not being familiar with the higher end cars offered in the electric world, I did as much research as I could before I asked for opinions on these forums. I saw the same rude, sarcastic and insulting reposes from a lot of people, BUT I did get a handful of really helpful and insightful comments that helped make my decisions easier.

There is a lot of knowledge out here to draw from, but sometimes it can be difficult to wade through the deluge to get to the good stuff. This thread definitely belongs here. I also think that any posts not helpful to the general topic should be removed daily. This thread will get fat fast, and it should stay germane to the topic at hand.

d
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:48 PM   #53
Tech Master

ApexSpeed...... So, just out of curiosity, which car did YOU end up buying??
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #54
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

<----------
<----------
<----------
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
<----------
<----------
<----------

ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnitro
Steve,
Just a suggestion, why not create a sticky for a beginner? Like a "Beginner's Guide or FAQ" or something like that. It will cover the general questions most of us asked when we were just starting. Bullet points like:
1. What radio should I get, AM or FM?
2. What charger should I get and the difference between an AC/DC charger and DC only?
3. What motor should I start with?
4. What is the difference between NiCd and NiMH?
5. What hand tools are necessary to build my first car?
6. What kind of esc should I get, forward only or reversing?
etc.etc..

I'm sure a lot more can be added to this list.

Again, these are just some thoughts that can help steer a newcomer to make the right decisions.
Hi guys,

Sorry, it looks like I crossed my boundries when I made this thread a sticky (sorry Shane ) either that or bad glue on the sticky (sorry bad joke) I will keep my eye on this thread so it does not become a flame/bash fest, and elnitro I like your suggestion, but I'm not sure if we should combine all that on one thread though...could be too much information in one thread...

Steve Wang
Old 09-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Those questions can be left for the rookie zone.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:27 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Shame on you guys!!!

Can't you just give someone an honest opinion on what to buy?

Also, this "Go buy what your hobby store supports". I'm sorry that ain't gonna fly! : So if your local hobby store only supports Traxxas and Siynh Yi trucks, he's forced to buy only those when he's looking for an electric pro level tourer? C'mon we're all here on the Internet so it shouldn't matter what my LHS stocks. I can buy from Hong Kong and Singapore all from the comfort of my home and so can everyone else on the Net.

Many of you can even give a qualified opinion on what to buy because of your membership in the "car of the month" club. Ya, I'm talking about you guys who I see all the time in the "For Sale or Trade" forum looking to trade last months Yokom BD for this months Corally RDX or pick-up an extra XRay to add to go with your Tamiya 415 MS.

You guys know what is good and what is bad because you guys have had them all. So for some and maybe many who can not afford to have a budget for rotating $400 elect tourers, they ask the question as to "Which one to buy?" Because they probably only have one shot at picking up one of these new premium chassis and they can't afford to make a $400 mistake.

Step up and give a qualified opinion. This is a forum by racers for racers, so give a fellow racer a helping hand.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #59
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default My Opinion on what to get.

Okay, I'll step up and give an opinion.

I would go with an XRAY FK05. My experience with it so far is that it is bulletproof. So far in checking around, I have found that to be true among other Xray owners. Although it is pricey, it is a rock solid car with plenty of durability and dependability in handling consistently on the track with out a lot of constant adjustment or tweaking.

I considered other cars like the Yokomo BD and the JRXS. I didn't consider the RDX because I heard that parts were difficult to get and also more pricier than Xray parts which are already expensive. However, those whom I've spoken with who have one say its absolutely dialed out of the box.

Buy the car you like that looks cool to you and that feels most worthy of the many you spend for it.

My 2 cents
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Shame on you guys!!!

Can't you just give someone an honest opinion on what to buy?

Also, this "Go buy what your hobby store supports". I'm sorry that ain't gonna fly! : So if your local hobby store only supports Traxxas and Siynh Yi trucks, he's forced to buy only those when he's looking for an electric pro level tourer? C'mon we're all here on the Internet so it shouldn't matter what my LHS stocks. I can buy from Hong Kong and Singapore all from the comfort of my home and so can everyone else on the Net.

If everyone is running a traxxas, then he won't be at a disadvantage at that track.

Many of you can even give a qualified opinion on what to buy because of your membership in the "car of the month" club. Ya, I'm talking about you guys who I see all the time in the "For Sale or Trade" forum looking to trade last months Yokom BD for this months Corally RDX or pick-up an extra XRay to add to go with your Tamiya 415 MS.

If they are in the "car of the month" club, then they obviously don't know which car is best. If they did, then they would only have that car (and they would have 4 backup cars, just incase )

You guys know what is good and what is bad because you guys have had them all. So for some and maybe many who can not afford to have a budget for rotating $400 elect tourers, they ask the question as to "Which one to buy?" Because they probably only have one shot at picking up one of these new premium chassis and they can't afford to make a $400 mistake.

There is no $400 mistakem UNless they buy a vintage Tamiya for four hundred. All the top dollar cars can win. That's why everyone says get what your hobby shop supports. Because the guys asking the question don't have the budget to stock up on parts and spares. If the Xray is the most popular car, then the hobby shop will get Xray parts. If RDX is most popular, than any smart hobby shop will stock RDX parts.

Step up and give a qualified opinion. This is a forum by racers for racers, so give a fellow racer a helping hand.
^^^