Low budget TC

Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

What timing system does your track use? If it is RC4, then you'll need to spend at least 60-70 to get an used AMB transponder. If they have the older system, a used MRT ptx can be found real cheap, as low as 25-35 bucks. Trackstar motors are cheap and will get you going. I'd go used on the chassis.... lots of new cars are coming out and the previous version cars are being dumped for next to nothing. HW justock should work for 13.5 ok. Used Savox 1251 servo. If you know what you're looking for you can get a good TC on track for a reasonable cost. If your just walking into a LHS wanting to race, well things can get expensive. I wouldn't trust used lipos, buy these new from your LHS.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Amb transponders for $60??? Best ive seen is the ones I sold for $75 in a matter of minutes.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

This is complete BS...

YOu guys are going to run him off with these Chest beating $800 stuff.

Depending on your track you don;t have to spend nowhere NEAR that much.

I race locally at a club and we pull 25 every friday night. Still race a old TA04 and on most night's I win or do very very well.

YOu can find great deals on here.

Everything from $100 TRF 415's to $180 TB-04's.

Right now there is a guy selling a TB-04 with all the upgrades and a Sanwa servo and killshot motor for $190.

Add in a nice 4200 45C battery from TQ racing for $30 bucks and a Hobbywing Extremestock ESC for $60 You could be racing TC with a nice name brand car for around $300.

If you had to buy a RX/TX an Airtronics MX-V for $79.

These threads always kill me. It translate to the track with these people. " I just bought this new Brushless combo from the hobbyshop for $350 and put it on my $600 yokomo. Why can't I finish better than 6th."

You can take a little time and do some research and be racing with everything for less than $400.

Money does not equal wins.... PERIOD.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Amb transponders for $60??? Best ive seen is the ones I sold for $75 in a matter of minutes.
Grabbed one here for 55 shipped, and another for 45 (edit... it was 40). Just bought another one off Ebay for 50 shipped. You can find deals on them...

Anyways I said 60-70 as an "at least" range.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
If you had to buy a RX/TX an Airtronics MX-V for $79.
Good choice. I have one I use for my off-road vehicles and other than being ugly, it is more than enough for the job.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I just got into rc touring car racing this year, and chose the budget route. I don't regret any od my choices, with the exception of the Spectrum dx4s radio. An airtronics mx-v would have been a better radio for half the price.
Anyways, I bought a Spec-r R1 Pro Spec chassis new from RC Mart for $230. Electronics and lipo are all Turnigy from Hobbyking, and are all ROAR aporoved.
17.5 trackstar motor: $30
5800mAh Turnigy Nanotech lipo: $30
Trackstar 80A esc: $34
Trackstar 915 servo: $30

Hows that for a budget build? Haha.

You can add some upgrades if you want. Xray hard bumper and dcj's, tamiya ball cups.

The car has exceeded the expectations of everyone in the club. Is it as fast as a $500 xray or Serpent? Probably not. Is is good enough for a noob club racer just getting into the hobby on a budget? Absolutely! Parts are cheap and available, and it has suffered no more breakages than any other car in our club. As a noob, I've had my share of crashes.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Not trying to scare, just be realistic. Used stuff is good if you know what your looking at and prepaired to make repairs. New but cheap it bad unless you're prepaired to deal with poor quality and hand fitting of alot parts. Plus if your new you def need to get somethi gnothers have so you can get some help.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

New or used your going to have to figure out what your looking at. If you buy used just get the manual to that car and do a complete rebuild. Bearings need to spin freely, make sure you have no broken parts, check the chassis by putting it on a piece of glass. Then go to the track and find some friendly help to make sure everything is good to go. You'll find that at most tracks there's a couple guys who could care less about helping you out but most guys will be eager to drop some knowledge on you.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...17v5-artr.html

Just an example of what is available... nice package for the $$$
Old 10-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Have you got a radio with receivers
Old 10-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

A note on the BD7 RS

I ran one, and out of the box its hopeless (kind of, keep reading) you will snap and break spool out drives like they are going out of fashion, the whole drive train binds as well as a result of the plastics used.

You will need to buy a spec R or the full fat BD7 spool, replace the plastic wheel hubs, get front and rear sway bars as kit doesnt come with any.

and little bits like that, after that though with good tuning the car became a 13.5t boosted weapon in the right hands, the grip on offer was unholy, only thing letting it down was the pilot.

HOWEVER

If you are running outdoors and you run off into grass and not really hit anything hard then the car out of the box will be actually okay, its when it comes down to competing thats where the car becomes ...workable ..but not a cheap option.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...17v5-artr.html

Just an example of what is available... nice package for the $$$
+1^^^^^. Find out what's running at the track. Also what's your budget? It should include: transponder, batteries, charger, radio equipment, servo, chassis also misc. stuff: wheels ,body, spare parts, setup equipment, tuning equipment (oils, springs, sways). Used from the right individual is great and give the most bang for your buck but its more ideal to have someone close who has been running it to guide you. Example the listing above is great but if you know nothing about it or the sport you will have to do a lot of reading, trail and error lol. If someone at the track runs TRF they should be able to help you, have tips and spares. I run the H4E and love it but If I could do it over again I would have bought a used T4 massive support at the local RC tracks and ARTR less than 500$.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Don't cheap out on the your electronics. Buying used motors and batteries... be very careful because you never know if they ran it at 200+F constantly or charged it at 30amps. ESC, you can get away with cheaper ones out there. Very decent ones under $100 for spec racing.

What I found is that the better stuff you have, the easier it is to sell.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Back to OP's question, we have the Serpent and Sakura locally which are both good cars for their price. Definitely good enough for 13.5T blinky as many race them here. My recent experience with the Top S4 is a mixed one. The rear toe in has a 1 deg discrepancy left to right no matter what I did. Other than that, quality is top notch and comparable to our TCXX or Serpent S411 V2.0/3.0. If OP has the option of Spec R, I had good experience with it, too. Advise is to get the car with the best local support.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

used top quality car beats any budget car any day of the week. I have tried budget cars before and it's just an exercise in frustration. Do yourself a favor and get something used. Also I don't believe the transponder is a must. A good idea for sure however, if you are not planning on racing immediately you can pick it up after you get some practice. Your local track may even have a loaner for racing. As numerous people have suggested, go to your local track and ask around you are likely to get much more help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.