spektrum brca legal? >

spektrum brca legal?

spektrum brca legal?

Old 09-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

to quote, from the Nomadio Sensor bumf:

"REAL TIME TELEMETRY
Sensor’s digital radio is two way, not one way, like crystal radios. That means that for the first time Sensor gives you real time reports of the condition of your car while you are driving it. Initially we provide sensors for speed, temperature and battery voltage, but the system is expandable and we will be releasing several exciting new sensors over the coming year. Unlike clumsy “bolt on” telemetry systems, Sensor’s is fully integrated into the controller."

thats a 2.4ghz system right
Old 09-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

That's Nomado, not spektrum. They are both 2.4Ghz, but different systems.

trf racer, you won't be allowed to race with it, it really is that simple. It says in black and white in the handbook that only 27 and 40 are to be used. Now thei may well get changed at the AGM ( i suspect it will at least be discussed), but not before.

Let's put it another way, if you were racing with it and you hit someone and injured them - you would not be insured. So, if they put in a claim, you would be personally liable. Then there is the point that many clubs won't let you race without insurance..................(remembering you won't be insured when using spectrum).
Old 09-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

True matt, it aint spektrum, but it is still a 2.4Ghz system that is avaliable in the uk. Therefore the disscussion should include this as well, and not just limiting ourselves to the spektrum system, given also that a number of compaines are also developing such systems.
Still proves that there is the ability, if the compaines so wish, to harness telemetry technology.... whether this is deemed legal by the brca is another matter....

Later
Ed
Old 09-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The BCRA is clueless.....

Every other organization allows the spektrum or like units.....

Later EddieO
Old 09-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Ed, Nomadio uses its own sensors, that are independant from the speedo and servo. You don't have to have them in the car, and as a matter of fact if the BRCA is to allow the 2.4GHz systems, they will certainly not allow these sensors to be used, although I don't see what use they can be, as telemetry is useful when you can monitor speed with suspension travel steering and throttle position and compare them.

Besides, nothing in the BRCA rules prevents you to use telemetry during practice to set your car up and then remove the sensors for the race (and gain weight anyway). That's the main purpose of it, that and monitoring the car's condition during the race, which would be impossile and useless on a RC car.

EddieO, it's not a matter of being clueless, it's a matter of the fact that the rules can only be changed once a year at the AGM.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Ed, Nomadio uses its own sensors, that are independant from the speedo and servo. You don't have to have them in the car, and as a matter of fact if the BRCA is to allow the 2.4GHz systems, they will certainly not allow these sensors to be used, although I don't see what use they can be, as telemetry is useful when you can monitor speed with suspension travel steering and throttle position and compare them.

Besides, nothing in the BRCA rules prevents you to use telemetry during practice to set your car up and then remove the sensors for the race (and gain weight anyway). That's the main purpose of it, that and monitoring the car's condition during the race, which would be impossile and useless on a RC car.

EddieO, it's not a matter of being clueless, it's a matter of the fact that the rules can only be changed once a year at the AGM.
Yes, also true... but still believe the telemetry aint possible though?

The removing sensors thing ain't nothing new.. NASCAR teams do it all the time
Old 09-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Hello

The definate answer is NO you cannot use a Spektrum or similiar at any event
covered by BRCA insurance which includes the Nationals...

I suspect this situation may change sometime after the forthcoming AGM but
until then you cannot make use of your new purchase at an 'official' event..

regards

Steve Cann

>From: [email protected]
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: BRCA
>Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:01:04 EDT
>
>hi,
>i have just purchased the spektrum system for my radio unit.
>can you please give me a definate answere as to wether this unit can be
>used
>at brca modified electric touring car nationals.
>thank you
>peter

this is an email i got back.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

i have one used at the STCC meet & this sunday
also indoors

i just use it to see if it works
down barham not a glitch or anything ,turned it off it just sat there

BUT
i have been told
there was a 1/5th meeting euro`s or worlds (not sure which) 140 drivers turned up for this
they had runaways,cutouts,lose of control
there was no policing of the spektrum user`s so most guy`s had them on in the pits,on the track
no peg board for these things
79 channels
if some one had a couple of laptops with wireless network does this mean there were only 77 channells available??
Old 09-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Leaving your radio on will do nothing if the car isn't on....if its not, it won't broadcast....

The only problem you would ever have is if more than 69 people had their cars and radios on in the pits, thus leaving not enough channels to run a 10 person race....

Spektrums have a built in fail safe I believe.....you can set the stuff to return to neutral...a ESC still could get locked in full open though....

Wireless laptops use a different range of the 2.4 ghz......

Later EddieO
Old 09-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

tested on the track by switching on/off ,me friends (yes i have a few now ) watch it as i wander back to my car switched off & wotnot it just sit`s there
i had no problems with dumping batts
i only charged 1 set to 2000ma
barham is a good tester for the radio system as you get alot of glitching in 24 meg & 27
but this spektrum sorted it

BUT will have to wait & see what it`s like with a few together
But this won`t happen till BRCA pass it ,then punters go & buy it £175.00 ,find out at the first big meeting there are problems working together with big numbers ,then the BRCA will refund your money coz it dose not work in big meeting ie;nats
this is the only way your going to find out if it works together or not coz the selected few can`t use it to find these problems for the masses before they spend hard earned money ,then find out the hard way

modern technology ,what would you do with out it

my failsafe goes to neutral for steering /brake for speedo