Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you build it, will they come?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You know, this sort of thread depresses me. It proves that the story of every RC track in the country is the same. Maybe people just don't like racing.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
You know, this sort of thread depresses me. It proves that the story of every RC track in the country is the same. Maybe people just don't like racing.
Don't let it depress you! WE know how fun RC racing is. The problem is that there aren't enough of us.

One thing that I wish I could get started is a mentoring program for on-road (my particular passion) where we try to bring just ONE new person to the track each year and get them involved.

If all of us did that, in a couple of years it would be standing room only at the tracks!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are there more permanent tracks in Europe? Seems like onroad racing is more popular over there.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Where to start
Old 04-21-2016, 07:40 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
It's not as simple as just it liking racing. Lack of tracks, exposure to RC racing and time. Plus many other things. And then there the issue of established tracks, do they want new members. Does a track owner risk losing the regulars in trying to bring new people in.
I've met 2 different racers over 6 years. Those that got out of it 10-15 years ago. And those that have been racing for 10-20 years. No middle ground. I've know a number that have gone to a local track, but won't go back.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I race at the same club as liljohn1064. The state of onroad racing at the club level is very sad right now, especially in the midwest here. We have tried everything from cheap to simple pan car with very limited tuning and yet things remain the same. Just the same guys that show up every week. I have come to the conclusion that cost is not the problem. There is no such thing as the perfect class. I think the problem is a little of everything combined to bring out the state of club racing that we see today. There are no simple solution. Just have to keep the fire burning and hope that one day racers will come back.

I'm so envious of the cali guys that get to race all sort of really cool classes. I might have to move there.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The state of on road cars in the whole hobby is in bad shape. As a non racer, I've tried for years to get others interested. With little success. Most would rather just put a car body on a Slash or other like vehicle and call it a road car.
Despite most having more pavement the off road places to drive. The general lack of interest in on road has been a real surprise over my 6 years in the hobby.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am seeing a slight increase in participation at my on road track. I also see a slight decrease at my off road tracks. Personally I prefer on road as my track does not wear out tires like my off road tracks. I also like the fact that my car stays clean. I would say the on road track really does a good job of posting videos, communicates to racers via this forum, Facebook, and a website. I think this helps.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by v_squared
I race at the same club as liljohn1064. The state of onroad racing at the club level is very sad right now, especially in the midwest here. We have tried everything from cheap to simple pan car with very limited tuning and yet things remain the same. Just the same guys that show up every week. I have come to the conclusion that cost is not the problem. There is no such thing as the perfect class. I think the problem is a little of everything combined to bring out the state of club racing that we see today. There are no simple solution. Just have to keep the fire burning and hope that one day racers will come back.

I'm so envious of the cali guys that get to race all sort of really cool classes. I might have to move there.
Every 6 months the 'popular' class changed. New cars, new tires, new electronics, new bodies, usually to something that only was run at 1 track with no rules enforced.

Everyone stopped showing up when the majority stopped racing the spastox and started racing something else.

USGT, VTA and mini were doing well until the majority jumped to something else.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Every 6 months the 'popular' class changed. New cars, new tires, new electronics, new bodies, usually to something that only was run at 1 track with no rules enforced.

Everyone stopped showing up when the majority stopped racing the spastox and started racing something else.

The real problem is still 6 core racers and no new blood, but that is an organizational issue and not a business model issue. No long time racers coming back to support the program has more to do with our current club of choice. Every class ever run needs bodies to support it and the argument immediately turns into a vicious cycle. All of the classes you mentioned are still viable and we all have cars. The deeper rooted issue is still with the perception that class swapping is the cause of failure nation wide. It saddly is not. The real issue at the racer level is perception of an organized and sustainable program that is run effectively and will be consistant week to week, month to month, year to year. No one wants to show up for 'are we racing or not?' How do you keep 100 or more grown men happy for 5 or 6 hours at least once a week? Run a tight program.

I want to build that place.

If 100 racers show up there is enough room for x number of classes per hour, 10 heats max. Not everyone would be happy, but it's all about organization. Most of us want to hear doors open at 8, driver's meeting at 10:45, racing at 11 and be out the door by 4. Also as a whole most racers are cheap. There, I said it. They sink paycheck after paycheck into RC and then don't want to pay membership, or for practice and complain when race fees go up. What those guys don't get is that almost every track barely breaks even. Warehouses make money on turnover per square foot. A track turns over maybe 2000 to 3000 a week in race fees. That space needs to turn over double that to even earn a profit. So you need two or more nights of racing just to make ends meet. A standing building in need of modification in any large city is already over a million. Would you be willing to risk your future on a prospect like that? Instead of banding together we devolve into bitching. But you know what, I'm not here for that. I still think it could work given the right effort. Hope to see you at the track Z.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scirocco14

The for-profit model is even harder to make work, as running a brick & mortar hobby shop these days against the internet is really, really tough to make work unless you already own the building and are willing to work for free. And the race fees really need to be in the $20-25 range per class to make it break even.

Not an easy nut to crack.
You have to be both, TQ raceway in California has a track and does a ton of internet business.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Yea Zac you should stop switching classes. First mini then usgt then rocking crawling then autocross. There will always be something to complain about. I hear it all the time. If we only did this, things will get better. I don't buy it anymore. If you like racing you will race wet rugs around the track. Like I said there is no such thing as the perfect class. Too much negative energy. The force is so weak with these racers. Anyway racing is Friday. I will be there and I support all classes. But classes doesn't matter. Cost doesn't matter, motors doesn't matter. Those that have fun running around the track will show up and those that don't will not. Less typing and more racing.

Originally Posted by whitrzac

Old 04-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
You have to be both, TQ raceway in California has a track and does a ton of internet business.
You're right Rob. In this day and age, you have to do internet sales as part of the industry and would probably be the biggest initial overhead and potentially the best money maker. Local over the counter is also a must for those that must see it with their own eyes and those who like personal service. There has to be part of the hobby shop that is racer-centric and stays open and stocks what the racers need immediately at hand. I've done retail sales, I've run a restaurant and RC is a hobby I'd like to spend full time with and grow into a career. It's all about profit margins and how much blood, sweat and tears I'm willing to put into making it work. I haven't given up, but it's starting to look like I need a group of investors who aren't looking for immediate returns to make this happen.

FYI, the layout is a clear span 150' x 250' steel building, first 50' X 150' is split between an on site shop, warehouse and cafe. The 200' X 250' will house 20 10' x 10' private offices/pits, pit tables for over 100, 10' deck height drivers stand, Back to back onroad carpet and offroad turf tracks (100 x72) or one large track for major events. Outdoor 250' x 150' Asphalt pad and 250' x 150' dirt offroad. There would be parking for 200 cars for major events. The track area would be multi use and rentable as needed. The lot is large enough to have a boat pond and it backs up to wetland area that cannot be built on, so flying may also be available. But, the land will not be there forever. Plans to have a CNC router and machine shop for rapid prototyping and chassis development are part of the big picture. Design it, fab it, build it, test it. Big dreamers dream big.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like how you think!

The hard part will be to get people to part with their investment $$$ w/o expecting returns.

I'm doing a lot of the same planning, and searching for a building and facility to house indoor carpet tracks. At the end of the day, it keeps feeling to me that if I do this, it'll be like another job for me. I like being retired and don't have much interest in getting back to a 24/7 type of job just so other people can play with toys cars. And lose money doing it.

Good luck and keep dreaming big!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
The 200' X 250' will house 20 10' x 10' private offices/pits, pit tables for over 100, 10' deck height drivers stand, Back to back onroad carpet and offroad turf tracks (100 x72) or one large track for major events.

Big dreamers dream big.
You can significantly cut down on your pit spaces. How many spaces would you need for a club race? 50? You already have 20 private spaces that should hold 2-4 racers anyway.

If you have 2 tracks in the building, you can cover the unused track and pit on it for events with folding tables or make it b.y.o. table.

Saving 40-50 pit spots, besides the floor space, saves that much money spent on wood, chairs, electrical material, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.