Search

New to the DRIFTING, need info for HPI SPRINT 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Exclamation New to the DRIFTING, need info for HPI SPRINT 2

Hello ppl,

im new to the drifting. I recently just bought a hpi sprint 2 flux with some nice hard plastic tires and 2s lipo. My question is, is this car good for drifting?? So far i enjoyed it. I had a blast just messing around with it, with some buddies drifting. I never knew how cool it was until i went hands on with a friends drifter.

Is there a better or best RC out there for Drifting???

any pointers or suggestions on anything to do with drifting i must know??

Also, i been wanting to upgrade my sprint. Any one know where i can get some aluminium chassis and parts? I want to stay away from orange...mostly silver color would be my preference.

any help would be appreciated
Old 01-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I cant post links here yet so search using google the following:
HPI sprint silk purse sow's ear

And click on the link to the thread titled:
HPI Sprint 2 Mods - Making a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Yes there are better RC chassis for drifting but you already have the Sprint... bash on it for a little to see if you like it then search online for MST/Sakura/Eagle Racing/Yokomo.

First thing i did was lock the rear diff (this is going to offer the biggest change off the bat), added belt tensioners, moved my battery further fwd and did a C-hub delete. All but the C-Hub delete are listed in the link. The C-hub delete was overkill because the amount of steering angle i gained i am sure was close to the amount i would have gained shaving down the side of the C-hub. The wheel hitting the shocks is my limiting factor. My next mods will more than likely be thicker alum hub adapters which i hope will give me a little more clearance from the shock so i can add a little more steering angle. I need to finish painting my current body project first. I also have new pulleys to do a countersteer setup but i am going to hold off until i get used to drifting. I do think the current motor (flux/brushless) is too powerful for a beginner drifter. I put one of my skyfly rx and turned down the throttle max to 60% so i wasnt just power sliding the thing around and spinning out everywhere. Now i can control the car to the traction braking point and ease into and out of the drifts.

Asiatees dot com and rcmart have a few yeah racing and gpm alum parts.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

the sprint is ok, but not a great car. as far as drifting goes, look into MST, yokomo, and tamiya to start.

and... carbon chassis for carpet, plastic molded for street. you will probably want to get a sensored motor system for smother low throttle power too when you get the hang of it.