Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The best batttery money can buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Default The best batttery money can buy

So i understand that there is many aspects to choosing a battery. What you are doing with your car, how much space you have, setup, voltage etc...

But at the end of the day, who is the "go to"battery manufacturer.. the no expense spared, best money can buy batteries?

Some of the criteria i would look for is voltage under load, and how close is the mah rating. (Are you getting what you pay for in other words) C rating is secondary to me as long as it exceeds what i know the motor will ever take (anything over 220 continuous in my case is over kill...i think.)

What about performance... is 1 6s better than 2 3s. What about 3 2s...possible i guess.. (I prefer 2 3s) how about weight?

In my particular case, im looking for batteries that can do 2-3 top speed runs, and then the voltage as fallen off enough that its not gonna break any records. Same for drag racing. 3 passes and i should have 2 change the battery. Mainly for weight. I see no reason to put in a couple 6400mah batteries when i only need to run the car 45 seconds. Thats weigtht i can put elsewhere, and space i can use for electronics and servos.

So i as just a general converstaion starter... help me pick out my battery, this is for a 2200 and castle esc (which will be changed to something 8s capable later)
Old 09-27-2014, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

There are about a million threads on rctech about lipos and the various applications people are using them in. Have a look at the search facility and you'll be amazed at what info you'll find. Many people will argue for a particular brand or make of pack and others another. You need to read up on the theory because the higher the capacity the pack and higher the discharge rate (C rating) of the pack then basically it'll hold voltage for longer. There is little point trying to find a 2500mah pack with a decent enough discharge rating for your application as I doubt these are readily available or even exist.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:57 AM
Tech Initiate

So ive found.

All i did yesterday was research batteries. Im going to go with thunder power. If i cant find what i want, im at least going to use the best.

But if anyone finds a 2.5 amp 2s 100c continuous, let me know..
Old 09-27-2014, 06:11 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you want to find other's experience with high discharge rates, then search out the 3d heli or pylon racing set. the 500mm and up heli's can drain batteries in 3minutes, locally gensace and glacier are popular and hold up well.

I am less familiar with the pylon racing today, but I imagine they are really pushing the limits on charge and discharge rates.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Dude, Check out. SMC
Old 09-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Smile

Good choice Mad Scientist... Also try a good charger like the thunderpower 1430C or the 820C.....
Old 09-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

I do all my charging with a lab grade power supply manually. It has mutiple outlets and programming modes. As well as the ability to do cc and cv charging. I found the current and voltage was much steadier and smoother from the power supply than some of the chrargers i tried in the past. Though, that was a few years ago and im not sure how chargers have imprved
Old 09-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Evo 13
Dude, Check out. SMC
Smc has a nice 3250 70c pack. Thats 225 amps, they are almost perfect size for what i want to do. 2 in parrellel should be more than enough power and will fit. For 60 bucks ill try it
Old 09-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
Smc has a nice 3250 70c pack. Thats 225 amps, they are almost perfect size for what i want to do. 2 in parrellel should be more than enough power and will fit. For 60 bucks ill try it
If you're referring to the 3250mah 70 6s, I have two of them and I get about a hour of run time for each! Not to mention, they're about the size and weight of a 2s.

I've run Gen Ace, and shelled out the big bucks for Max Amps before, but to me, SMC is the best!
Old 09-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
I do all my charging with a lab grade power supply manually. ... Though, that was a few years ago and im not sure how chargers have improved
Most chargers are really just consumer grade. With consumer grade accuracy.
Then guys get upset when their charger undercharges by .05v on a used 2cell lipo.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Evo 13
If you're referring to the 3250mah 70 6s, I have two of them and I get about a hour of run time for each! Not to mention, they're about the size and weight of a 2s.

I've run Gen Ace, and shelled out the big bucks for Max Amps before, but to me, SMC is the best!
I'll still get a tp 6s. I want to have a large 6s too. I think smc will work for me for racing though. Thanks for the find.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I will on;y buy SMC Batteries now Ran cheap hobbyking and went through many packs

Low IR great customer Service. Had one pack that the bullets came off and they wanted it back to inspect and sent a replacement right away. No questions asked.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Buy one of these and you can test your own batteries

http://www.westmountainradio.com/pro...oducts_id=cba4