R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default What to bring

Im going to the snowbird nationals for the first time this year and was wondering what should I bring other than my usual club race stuff.
Smithracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
Xpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dirt sucks!
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithracer11 View Post
Im going to the snowbird nationals for the first time this year and was wondering what should I bring other than my usual club race stuff.
$$$
__________________
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 2,841
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

I would say anything you would need to build a kit from the ground up and install electronics. Oh and of course lots of $$$$$$$$$$
__________________
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I would say anything you would need to build a kit from the ground up and install electronics. Oh and of course lots of $$$$$$$$$$
I have a T4 14 with electronics so I think I'm good on that part. As for the money issue I can handle the travel cost I'm just asking what should I bring that you normally wouldn't bring to your average club race. I'm also going to be running amateur 17.5 touring car.
Smithracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Odin544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kennewick, Washington
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

It really depends on what you bring for a normal club race. I know some people who bring the bare minimum to run their cars, while I bring way too much crap that I generally never touch. But it's there just in case I need it!

I would say just try to plan for everything going wrong. That way if it does you will be prepared. Even if you end up just leaving stuff in your hotel room.
__________________
Xray - ORCA - Avid RC - MaxFX Paint
TriCitiesRC.com
Odin544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,762
Default

As others have said, plan for every type of breakage and blowup.

I had issues at the worlds with the lipo's I'd brought and Superior Hobbies hadn't brought any 1s lipo's at all which left me in a difficult position.
If you have any space/weight available in your luggage, use it for spares.
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 2,841
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Let me refraise. Like skiddens said. Plan for the worst. I used to bring a dremel and soldering iron and spare electronics and way to many spare parts and other tools I never use at the track. Only at home during a comete teardown and rebuild. But if I was going to a major multi-day event out of town, Id bring damn near everything that I own. You may need to cut a stripped screw. You may need to change motors. You might break the weirdest part of your car that you just happen to have a spare for. Just think of murphys law: anything that can go wrong, will. Do your best to be prepaired for it.
__________________
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default

I'm driving, so luggage space is no problem I plan on bringing extra bodies, extra motor and lipos, along with my tools of course and every setup tool I got including tire warmers and scales.
Smithracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,126
Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)
Default

Flat board, pit Matt, cover towel, pit light. Practice the day before at home or something and set up your station as if you were there.
thecaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
oeoeo327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,658
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Let me refraise. Like skiddens said. Plan for the worst. I used to bring a dremel and soldering iron and spare electronics and way to many spare parts and other tools I never use at the track. Only at home during a comete teardown and rebuild. But if I was going to a major multi-day event out of town, Id bring damn near everything that I own. You may need to cut a stripped screw. You may need to change motors. You might break the weirdest part of your car that you just happen to have a spare for. Just think of murphys law: anything that can go wrong, will. Do your best to be prepaired for it.
I subscribe to this theory, even for club races... I even carry a small bench vise that I can mount to a table for those "I NEED to recycle this part" type emergencies. Amazingly, I can fit these items into 2 pit bags...
__________________
Founding member of the Solid Gold Racing Team - Mediocrity, redefined...
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
elee32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lambertville, nj
Posts: 788
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithracer11 View Post
I have a T4 14 with electronics so I think I'm good on that part. As for the money issue I can handle the travel cost I'm just asking what should I bring that you normally wouldn't bring to your average club race. I'm also going to be running amateur 17.5 touring car.
Another thing to look into is your actual pit spot. The main room is usually full with all of the teams and their drivers. You can pay in advance for a spot in the hall just outside the main ballroom which is what I did.

Don't pit in your room since most of the fun is being at the track with everyone else!

Oh yeah....get lots of sleep before you go, you won't get much there
__________________
Eric Lee, sponsored by shipping and handling..
elee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default

On the pitting situation is it general seating if you pay in advance or are you assigned a table? I ask because I would like to be pitted next to my brother.
Smithracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
elee32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lambertville, nj
Posts: 788
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithracer11 View Post
On the pitting situation is it general seating if you pay in advance or are you assigned a table? I ask because I would like to be pitted next to my brother.
It's assigned so ask to be together. There should be more details about it when registration opens up.
__________________
Eric Lee, sponsored by shipping and handling..
elee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net