R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya 42245 - Aluminium Body Adjuster Mount

Hey guys, anyone of you having the Body Adjuster Mount from Tamiya? I just bought two sets and I'm not able to build it correctly.

Following the enclosed manual, one has to put a rubber O-ring for a better fixing of the position of the "Adjuster B". I have done this. Now the problem is: The O-ring seems to be a bit to large large so that I'm not able mount "Adjuster B" on "Adjuster A" any more. There is the the hint to "Apply oil.". I have done so but no way to attach it without applying excessive force.

Anyone having the same problem or better sees my error?
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya 42245 - Aluminium Body Adjuster Mount-k-2014-10-16-16.27.15.jpg   Tamiya 42245 - Aluminium Body Adjuster Mount-k-2014-10-16-16.27.45.jpg   Tamiya 42245 - Aluminium Body Adjuster Mount-k-2014-10-16-16.28.16.jpg  
EvoFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I have these and they worked fine. The o-ring goes in the channel on the piece to the right in your pic. I am sure you already know that.

I started the o-ring and hold it into place with a hex driver. Then with my pinky I "worked" around the o-ring until it was in all the way. sometimes it doesn't want to go in the channel all the way therefore it appears to be too big.

Patience and you will get it.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

The o-ring sits nicely within the channel where it should sit. It also does not look too large. Nethertheless I do need a pliers to move the outer part around the inner. Without the o-ring attached everything is fine but to loose.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFreak View Post
The o-ring sits nicely within the channel where it should sit. It also does not look too large. Nethertheless I do need a pliers to move the outer part around the inner. Without the o-ring attached everything is fine but to loose.
Don't use pliers it will mess it up. Put some oil or a little black grease on the threads. It will be tight but screw and unscrew a few times and it will loosen up.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

I used a plier featuring a soft muffled notch fitting the outer diameter of the body adjuster, so no stress to the material. I used Tamiya's metal bearing lubricating oil (53508). Maybe this caused a swelling of the o-ring? Which one you have used? With "black grease" you mean Asso's diff grease or Tamiya's AW grease?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
I used a plier featuring a notch fitting the outer diameter of the body adjuster, so no stress to material. I used Tamiya's metal bearing lubricating oil (53508). Maybe this caused a swelling of the o-ring? Which one you have used? With "black grease" you mean Asso's diff grease or Tamiya's AW grease?
AE black grease and I just wiped a little on. I then screwed down and down a couple of times to loosen it up. It was hard but I didn't need pliers.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

I prepared the second one by Asso's black grease (6588) and this works. At the moment not as smooth as I would like to have it but as you told it maybe will take a while till it works proper.

Thank you!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Glad it worked. They sure are cool looking.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
I prepared the second one by Asso's black grease (6588) and this works. At the moment not as smooth as I would like to have it but as you told it maybe will take a while till it works proper.

Thank you!
From what I heard Tamiya initially used the wrong oring and it was way too tight even with grease applied. There has been a running change since, and the problem is resolved. Perhaps you got the early batch?

I had the early batch, and the orings were so tight I that couldn't twist the collar without mangling the body post. The post literally twisted 90deg. I since trimmed the oring a bit, and now they twist with just enough friction now, like how it was originally designed.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Dear impuressa, how have you trimmed the o-rings? With the black grease mine work but not as smooth as I expect it from a product sold by Tamiya. Compared to the TRF shock aluminium height adjusters it is horrible.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Mine are tight as anything as well, i just thought it was on purpose so they didn't move!
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Try silicone oil.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Dear impuressa, how have you trimmed the o-rings? With the black grease mine work but not as smooth as I expect it from a product sold by Tamiya. Compared to the TRF shock aluminium height adjusters it is horrible.
Yeah, it was so tight that the anodizing came off the threads even with grease/oil on. I literally had to use pliers (wrapped with paper towel) to get that thing twisted. Then I got my scissors out and CAREFULLY snipped the outer edge of the oring. it doesn't have to be round, just cut small bits off the edge. Or you can go to an automotive store and find one with a bigger ID. I was able to get it to a point where it feels like my shock collars.