Wiki Posts
Search

Info needed on V2 motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Info needed on V2 motors

I am trying to decide on some mod motors (whether to get Shock, Ti3, V2 or go brushless) and since there are a myriad of motors and companies to choose from, I just need some info on the following:

What is the difference between the signature editions of the v2 motors:

Marc Reinhardt
Atushi Hara
David Spashlett (is this motor available yet???)

I am looking at 7x1, 8x1 and 9x1 winds for touring car (asphalt, large-outdoor tracks, high ambient and track temps).

Also, which of the above mentioned motors are drilled balanced? or do the V2 armatures only come in expoxy balanced?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leonard.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

The reinard comes with a std un ground 5mm armature, and with rock hard brush springs.

The Hara i believe varies with the country that it was intended for. The ones we used to get in the UK had a very thin stack (4mm i think) and a twisted slot comm.

The spashett has a 5mm arm (below 10 turn i think) but it has a groove ground down the centre of the stack. This gives more RPM. These have been available for over a year in the UK, not sure about the rest of teh world.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Now I just have to decide which way to go.......v2 based or cobalt/shock and also to go brushed or brushless

So many decisions!!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

My Friend had a word with Oscar Jensen during the Reedy race of asia last year,and if I can remember correctly,he claims that the normal touring V2s and signature V2s are the same thing,just different stickers and a different colour endbell,maybe the difference is just in the brushes.The signature would come with sprint compound and the normal touring the enduro compound brushes.

But you will never go wrong with the V2. I can get many packs through a brush before I cut the comm.

I've tested 30 packs on 1 brush before a cut.And the comm was still not as worn as compared to the normal motor brush config.I just skim the comm about 3-4 passes and its clean and straight...!And this was a 9 turn Surikarn edition.

I've a 9 turn surikarn,8 and 7 turn Oscar tuned for the 2004 IFMAR worlds motors.They rock!!
After using the V2 motors,I never looked at another motor again.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben.C
My Friend had a word with Oscar Jensen during the Reedy race of asia last year,and if I can remember correctly,he claims that the normal touring V2s and signature V2s are the same thing,just different stickers and a different colour endbell,maybe the difference is just in the brushes.The signature would come with sprint compound and the normal touring the enduro compound brushes.
This is 100% right. I went through quite an ordeal trying to decide which motor to get. Once I realized I would have the same motor wether or not I chose the Hara or Touring edition, the only choice I really had was what color I wanted. Hara's come with sprints, Touring comes with enduro. That's about it. But there is a difference between the Modified (blue) and Touring (black). One has a bigger web than the other or something...
-Josh
Old 09-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Yes one has a 4 mm and the other 5 mm.

The Mod is more for off road where the touring as the name shows more for on road touring.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

But you will never go wrong with the V2. I can get many packs through a brush before I cut the comm.

I've tested 30 packs on 1 brush before a cut.And the comm was still not as worn as compared to the normal motor brush config.I just skim the comm about 3-4 passes and its clean and straight...!And this was a 9 turn Surikarn edition.

I've a 9 turn surikarn,8 and 7 turn Oscar tuned for the 2004 IFMAR worlds motors.They rock!!
After using the V2 motors,I never looked at another motor again.

I have heard from different people that if you use the 7 and 8 turn v2's that they turn into a 1-2 run motor and then you have to cut the comm, is this correct?

Also, has anyone had the epoxy dislodge from the armature? Cause I have seen first hand (motor was a Surikan 7x1, only had 4 packs through it) and also heard from a few sources that the epoxy tends to throw, is this true???
Old 09-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

I have 2 MR Ed.7x1, 1 DS Ed 8x2, and a Oscar tuned 7. Only 1 MR is left with the epoxy balance. The rest have dislodge. one of my MR's epoxy dislodge only after 4 runs. Since they don't have drill balance (at least not now), I'm trying out some Ti base motor and awaiting the Shock motor.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

Like i said, the Hara is different depending on where you are i believe - the UK ones are not the same as touring.

I have seen quite a few that no longer have their epoxy on them. I believe Orion are starting to drill balence. Personally i run Fantom's and they are epoxied, but i haven't had any come loose - even 7 and 8 turn.

Personally i'd go with either DS or MR if you are looking at Orion or Peak, but have a look at the Joel Myberg's from Fantom.

The trouble with the normal touring is that they had the 4mm arm, which for 7, 8, 9 turn isn't really ideal. I believe Orion are/have changed this now and they might be 5mm as well, but not sure i'd risk it. The normal off rd is actually quite good with low turn mod in touring car.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:01 AM
Tech Master

Red face

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
I have heard from different people that if you use the 7 and 8 turn v2's that they turn into a 1-2 run motor and then you have to cut the comm, is this correct?

Also, has anyone had the epoxy dislodge from the armature? Cause I have seen first hand (motor was a Surikan 7x1, only had 4 packs through it) and also heard from a few sources that the epoxy tends to throw, is this true???
With normal traditional motors you will need to true the comm every 1-2 runs with new brushes.But with the V2 design,where the brush bounce is not that great compared to traditional ones,it doesn't waer the comm out that fast and that much.

And for the epoxy fly off part...I've seen 1st hand,only on the 2nd run! Wire split,and slashed the magnet with it and the expoxy flew to don't know where...

Was a friend of mine...Scary stuff....
Old 09-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

And for the epoxy fly off part...I've seen 1st hand,only on the 2nd run! Wire split,and slashed the magnet with it and the expoxy flew to don't know where...

Was a friend of mine...Scary stuff....
You're refering to KK right ? ...he is infamous for "over-reving" his motors ! ....something like squeezing 70,000 rpm outta a 60,000 rpm motor. .....nevertheless he's a very talented and fast driver !
Old 09-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ghostfit
You're refering to KK right ? ...he is infamous for "over-reving" his motors ! ....something like squeezing 70,000 rpm outta a 60,000 rpm motor. .....nevertheless he's a very talented and fast driver !
Yap...Total destruction!!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK -- I'm in the US (for whatever that is worth)...

I have 4 V2's... MY Hara 13x1 and Touring 13x2 appear visually identical (except for the obvious double -vs- single wind)... Performance on the track is virtually identical, with the only difference being attributable to the brushes (sprints for the Hara, enduros for the Touring)...

I have two Reinhard 12x1's, and they are a different "animal" all together -- the have the big groove down the middle of each stack, and the are incredible performers! They run with 10x1's, etc. and don't give up anything on the track! These motors also come with sprint 'Edge' brushes and the new extra heavy Inox (or whatever) springs. The whole package is an extremely strong one!

Every V2 I buy in the future will be of the Reinhard "version"...

FYI -- we race sedans on a concrete parking lot, and traction is very poor, so I don't think anyone has had success with anything under 10 turns, so I cannot say about the single digit wind motors...

One local racer had a 10x1 motor "throw a wind" -- it looked like the wire broke near the comm, then partially unwound and locked up the motor by hanging up between the arm and the magnets. -- totally ruined the arm. FWIW, it was a Fantom motor (V2 based), and Fantom refused to even consider any sort of "warranty" replacement, even though the motor was almost new and had NOT been abused in any way...
Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Thats not very nice of Fantom...
Old 09-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

So what I can gather from the replies so far, is that if I decide to go the v2 stlye of motors, get the MR editions. (and even then, it still may detonate on me).

Is this correct???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.