Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
VBC WILDFIRE D07 >

VBC WILDFIRE D07

Like Tree2Likes

VBC WILDFIRE D07

Old 04-29-2015, 06:51 AM
  #421  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,674
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AZ Militia View Post
I thought the same thing when I built it so I did NOT put in those two screws but only after two short runs the floating steering seemed to come loose. When my buddies, whom are WAY more experienced in high end RC racing, looked at it and laughed at me, I put in those screws and the car has been handling significantly better! I am by no means an expert at this but I have really tried to take my time and actually learn about this car and see what different changes do to the corner speed, traction, flex, on and off power steering, etc. I hope my little bit of input helps you out some.
to be honest with you, I'm really skeptical about that one... the floating steering is actually a design feature of the VBC... Not saying in no way it should be hooked to the chassis by an extra 2 screws, just saying that your "expert" friends might have missed the point completely and overlooked the "center" mounting of the steering assembly...

Paul
Lonestar is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 AM
  #422  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,674
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

On another note - I went through 2 brand new 40mm fans in about as many battery packs. 50% of the fins are just shattered or gone. I'm using the optional fan mount... one of them a muchmore fan, the other one a no-name fan. The obvious reasons such as "there was some debris on the track" or "there is something moving in your car that tampers with the fan" don't apply...

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Paul
Lonestar is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 07:00 AM
  #423  
Tech Master
 
patorz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton Ab
Posts: 1,553
Default

Originally Posted by AZ Militia View Post
I thought the same thing when I built it so I did NOT put in those two screws but only after two short runs the floating steering seemed to come loose. When my buddies, whom are WAY more experienced in high end RC racing, looked at it and laughed at me, I put in those screws and the car has been handling significantly better! I am by no means an expert at this but I have really tried to take my time and actually learn about this car and see what different changes do to the corner speed, traction, flex, on and off power steering, etc. I hope my little bit of input helps you out some.

Where did your floating steering come loose? I have been running mine since the day of it being released, and never had mine come loose. Even with some really big hits.
patorz31 is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 07:42 AM
  #424  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,674
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

threadlock comes in handy... but only on the screws that hold the bellcrank from the top (As there is some rotation involved there). From the bottom, there shouldn't be any issue, really!
Lonestar is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 01:04 PM
  #425  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 168
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
to be honest with you, I'm really skeptical about that one... the floating steering is actually a design feature of the VBC... Not saying in no way it should be hooked to the chassis by an extra 2 screws, just saying that your "expert" friends might have missed the point completely and overlooked the "center" mounting of the steering assembly...

Paul
I would hope that if you used the stock floating steering that you used some 1mm spacers between it and the posts if the screws are used, or optional parts that don't require the spacers to take up the gap.

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
On another note - I went through 2 brand new 40mm fans in about as many battery packs. 50% of the fins are just shattered or gone. I'm using the optional fan mount... one of them a muchmore fan, the other one a no-name fan. The obvious reasons such as "there was some debris on the track" or "there is something moving in your car that tampers with the fan" don't apply...

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Paul
Thats odd, I use the fan mount with a Roche fan have had no issues with breaking fins. I do run a lexan shroud around the fan though. Its a modified LW wing from a PF body.

Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
Where did your floating steering come loose? I have been running mine since the day of it being released, and never had mine come loose. Even with some really big hits.
I haven't had a issue with the floating steering coming loose, but was also advised by DE that they still servo tape down the servo in spite of the floating mount design. He said it takes the wander out of the car.
Rodney Racer is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 01:30 PM
  #426  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sydney,Australia
Posts: 1,175
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

quote=I haven't had a issue with the floating steering coming loose, but was also advised by DE that they still servo tape down the servo in spite of the floating mount design. He said it takes the wander out of the car.

re= the servo,that is an interesting point !!!!! so it no longer is a floating servo ???
Professor is offline  
Old 05-04-2015, 05:42 AM
  #427  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,674
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I wonder about the wander thing

I think if you servo tape it, it doesn't fully kill the "floating" thing... but it certainly doesn't react to tweak the same as before. Most modern TC's use a floating servo mount... I think there's a reason. I wouldn't tape the servo.

Practice night tomorrow night woo-hoo! I will toy around with diff setup I think

Paul
Lonestar is offline  
Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 AM
  #428  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,674
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Some good shots of Lucas Urbain's car at the ETS this weekend. He finished 13th overall in the mod class. Nicolas, any chance you'd get us his setup?

source www.redrc.com

"Remarks – Top VBC driver Lucas Urbain is running an interesting version of the Wildfire D07 that features a new chassis that is thinner and with the motor position moved backwards [the "aggressive chassis" I assume?]. The top deck is also new to better pair with the different flex of the chassis. Longer shocks and higher shock towers from the VBC Ghost EVO and being used to obtain more traction on the low-grip surface [interesting one for sure...]."





Lonestar is offline  
Old 05-04-2015, 12:40 PM
  #429  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (63)
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 3,393
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default

I find it interesting that they are moving back to a similar set up to the original D05.
theproffesor is offline  
Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 PM
  #430  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 168
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
I wonder about the wander thing

I think if you servo tape it, it doesn't fully kill the "floating" thing... but it certainly doesn't react to tweak the same as before. Most modern TC's use a floating servo mount... I think there's a reason. I wouldn't tape the servo.

Practice night tomorrow night woo-hoo! I will toy around with diff setup I think

Paul
You're right, what would a 6 time national champion know about car setup. LOL
Rodney Racer is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 12:25 AM
  #431  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 265
Default

My car is relatively fast with the stock set up. What will you suggest if I want to push the car to the limit? Let's put the electronics and the tires out of the equation.

The local track is medium to high grip asphalt.

Love the D07!!
Ted Su(TW) is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 01:04 AM
  #432  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,674
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer View Post
You're right, what would a 6 time national champion know about car setup. LOL
There was a time when everyone was setting up ride height with droop screws... even 6-time national champions

Seriously, think about it. the servo mount is fixed by 3 screws to the chassis, so it takes some serious effort to move it around to create a straight-line wander. The servo mount is mono-block alloy, so it would take even more serious effort to make it move around to create the same straight-line wander.

So if adding servo tape takes some kind of wander off, where does it come from? Unless the chassis flexes so hard in a straight line, really... in which case servo tape would basically prevent the chassis from moving too far away from the servo. Which goes exactly against what every manufacturer has tried to do with floating servo mounts since the last few years.

Something's not squaring

Paul
Lonestar is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 03:20 AM
  #433  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (63)
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 3,393
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Ted Su(TW) View Post
My car is relatively fast with the stock set up. What will you suggest if I want to push the car to the limit? Let's put the electronics and the tires out of the equation.

The local track is medium to high grip asphalt.

Love the D07!!
What body are you running? What class / size motor? You could need a gearing change. Are you trying to push the limit on the straights or through the infield? do you want to gain corner entry or corner exit speed? There are many factors that go into "push the car to the limit". We need to know what limit you are referring too.
theproffesor is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 04:06 AM
  #434  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 142
Default

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Some good shots of Lucas Urbain's car at the ETS this weekend. He finished 13th overall in the mod class. Nicolas, any chance you'd get us his setup?
Hello,

You can find his setup there : http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/vbcr...see2015050103/
nicoo2k4 is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 04:47 AM
  #435  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,674
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Merci

what's the rationale behind high-low shock towers (and the appropriate length shocks)? Higher CG -> More roll ? (I'm not going further on this reasoning ground as phil is watching me )

Interesting combo on the rollpin blocks too...

Cheers!
Paul
Lonestar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.