Search
Like Tree4Likes

VBC WILDFIRE D07

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZ Militia
I thought the same thing when I built it so I did NOT put in those two screws but only after two short runs the floating steering seemed to come loose. When my buddies, whom are WAY more experienced in high end RC racing, looked at it and laughed at me, I put in those screws and the car has been handling significantly better! I am by no means an expert at this but I have really tried to take my time and actually learn about this car and see what different changes do to the corner speed, traction, flex, on and off power steering, etc. I hope my little bit of input helps you out some.
to be honest with you, I'm really skeptical about that one... the floating steering is actually a design feature of the VBC... Not saying in no way it should be hooked to the chassis by an extra 2 screws, just saying that your "expert" friends might have missed the point completely and overlooked the "center" mounting of the steering assembly...

Paul
Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

On another note - I went through 2 brand new 40mm fans in about as many battery packs. 50% of the fins are just shattered or gone. I'm using the optional fan mount... one of them a muchmore fan, the other one a no-name fan. The obvious reasons such as "there was some debris on the track" or "there is something moving in your car that tampers with the fan" don't apply...

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Paul
Old 04-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AZ Militia
I thought the same thing when I built it so I did NOT put in those two screws but only after two short runs the floating steering seemed to come loose. When my buddies, whom are WAY more experienced in high end RC racing, looked at it and laughed at me, I put in those screws and the car has been handling significantly better! I am by no means an expert at this but I have really tried to take my time and actually learn about this car and see what different changes do to the corner speed, traction, flex, on and off power steering, etc. I hope my little bit of input helps you out some.

Where did your floating steering come loose? I have been running mine since the day of it being released, and never had mine come loose. Even with some really big hits.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

threadlock comes in handy... but only on the screws that hold the bellcrank from the top (As there is some rotation involved there). From the bottom, there shouldn't be any issue, really!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
to be honest with you, I'm really skeptical about that one... the floating steering is actually a design feature of the VBC... Not saying in no way it should be hooked to the chassis by an extra 2 screws, just saying that your "expert" friends might have missed the point completely and overlooked the "center" mounting of the steering assembly...

Paul
I would hope that if you used the stock floating steering that you used some 1mm spacers between it and the posts if the screws are used, or optional parts that don't require the spacers to take up the gap.

On another note - I went through 2 brand new 40mm fans in about as many battery packs. 50% of the fins are just shattered or gone. I'm using the optional fan mount... one of them a muchmore fan, the other one a no-name fan. The obvious reasons such as "there was some debris on the track" or "there is something moving in your car that tampers with the fan" don't apply...

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Paul
Thats odd, I use the fan mount with a Roche fan have had no issues with breaking fins. I do run a lexan shroud around the fan though. Its a modified LW wing from a PF body.

Originally Posted by patorz31
Where did your floating steering come loose? I have been running mine since the day of it being released, and never had mine come loose. Even with some really big hits.
I haven't had a issue with the floating steering coming loose, but was also advised by DE that they still servo tape down the servo in spite of the floating mount design. He said it takes the wander out of the car.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

quote=I haven't had a issue with the floating steering coming loose, but was also advised by DE that they still servo tape down the servo in spite of the floating mount design. He said it takes the wander out of the car.

re= the servo,that is an interesting point !!!!! so it no longer is a floating servo ???
Old 05-04-2015, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

I wonder about the wander thing

I think if you servo tape it, it doesn't fully kill the "floating" thing... but it certainly doesn't react to tweak the same as before. Most modern TC's use a floating servo mount... I think there's a reason. I wouldn't tape the servo.

Practice night tomorrow night woo-hoo! I will toy around with diff setup I think

Paul
Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Some good shots of Lucas Urbain's car at the ETS this weekend. He finished 13th overall in the mod class. Nicolas, any chance you'd get us his setup?

source www.redrc.com

"Remarks – Top VBC driver Lucas Urbain is running an interesting version of the Wildfire D07 that features a new chassis that is thinner and with the motor position moved backwards [the "aggressive chassis" I assume?]. The top deck is also new to better pair with the different flex of the chassis. Longer shocks and higher shock towers from the VBC Ghost EVO and being used to obtain more traction on the low-grip surface [interesting one for sure...]."

Old 05-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I find it interesting that they are moving back to a similar set up to the original D05.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wonder about the wander thing

I think if you servo tape it, it doesn't fully kill the "floating" thing... but it certainly doesn't react to tweak the same as before. Most modern TC's use a floating servo mount... I think there's a reason. I wouldn't tape the servo.

Practice night tomorrow night woo-hoo! I will toy around with diff setup I think

Paul
You're right, what would a 6 time national champion know about car setup. LOL
Old 05-05-2015, 12:25 AM
Tech Regular

My car is relatively fast with the stock set up. What will you suggest if I want to push the car to the limit? Let's put the electronics and the tires out of the equation.

The local track is medium to high grip asphalt.

Love the D07!!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
You're right, what would a 6 time national champion know about car setup. LOL
There was a time when everyone was setting up ride height with droop screws... even 6-time national champions

Seriously, think about it. the servo mount is fixed by 3 screws to the chassis, so it takes some serious effort to move it around to create a straight-line wander. The servo mount is mono-block alloy, so it would take even more serious effort to make it move around to create the same straight-line wander.

So if adding servo tape takes some kind of wander off, where does it come from? Unless the chassis flexes so hard in a straight line, really... in which case servo tape would basically prevent the chassis from moving too far away from the servo. Which goes exactly against what every manufacturer has tried to do with floating servo mounts since the last few years.

Something's not squaring

Paul
Old 05-05-2015, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ted Su(TW)
My car is relatively fast with the stock set up. What will you suggest if I want to push the car to the limit? Let's put the electronics and the tires out of the equation.

The local track is medium to high grip asphalt.

Love the D07!!
What body are you running? What class / size motor? You could need a gearing change. Are you trying to push the limit on the straights or through the infield? do you want to gain corner entry or corner exit speed? There are many factors that go into "push the car to the limit". We need to know what limit you are referring too.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

Some good shots of Lucas Urbain's car at the ETS this weekend. He finished 13th overall in the mod class. Nicolas, any chance you'd get us his setup?
Hello,

You can find his setup there : http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/vbcr...see2015050103/
Old 05-05-2015, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Merci

what's the rationale behind high-low shock towers (and the appropriate length shocks)? Higher CG -> More roll ? (I'm not going further on this reasoning ground as phil is watching me )

Interesting combo on the rollpin blocks too...

Cheers!
Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.