Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

VBC WILDFIRE D07

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NItrox416
So you have already try the smokem chassis, what did you feel, Better than the original?
would you suggest it for stock racing?
Thank you very much for help
The smokem is better in low grip situations. Like when our club rolls the carpet out on a cold concrete floor or when you have to use hard spec tires. I think it will be the ticket in the summer on our pave track.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZ Militia
I am almost through building my kit and have stumbled across a few items. Has anyone else encountered any slop after assembling the zero tolerance pulley? If so, any suggestions? Also, I noticed that there might have been a miscount of 3x8 button head screws when they put everything together in my kit. Anyone run across something like this? This is my first high end kit so I just want to make sure I do it all right! Thanks
Yes i found the same ,i put on 0.3 shim on to the shaft before i fit pully on
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by patorz31
The smokem is better in low grip situations. Like when our club rolls the carpet out on a cold concrete floor or when you have to use hard spec tires. I think it will be the ticket in the summer on our pave track.
thank you very much
Old 12-20-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Well put the first night of racing on the D07 last night. I must say the car feels different then the D06. The rear is more locked in but it still rotates. I need to play with the setup to get a touch more on power steering, but otherwise it feels awesome on the track.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Setup Question

OK...So I went and bought all of the extra bits to run Ryan's Setup...

WOW!! What a car it is now!! I had to tweak it a tiny bit as I run foams in SSF 10.5t and had a little too much rear grip but the car now feels alive. The factory D07 setup had me a little disappointed as my D06 felt a lot better (funny thing is I have Ryans setup on D06 too) but now i'm super happy with the way D07 is handling. It is now smooth and very consistent and very easy to drive fast and has a heap more steering even with me having dialled some out.

So thank you Ryan!!

I have one question and its regarding the F05 suspension mount. I want to know exactly what that part actually improves with the handling? Reason i'm asking as obviously I am unsure to what the benefit for and against it are but I asked a few different people and I got 3 different answers.

Originally Posted by Ryan Maker
Hi guys,

Since everyone is probably busy building their kits, thought i'd just shed some light on where to start in terms of setup.

The default setup is a fantastic starting point, however I've been testing furiously over the past year and a half and have found a setup that seems to work well at every asphalt track I've raced on. I have had some of my D07 drivers build their cars straight to this setup in both stock and mod and are stoked first run out! Most of this setup was developed from the D06, which I then translated to the D07 with some minor changes.

The main parts you will need (which aren't included in the kit) to use this exact setup are:

1x 7075-T6 Rear Inner Axle (49mm) D-05-VBC-0086
1x TBB Shock Spring (Red-Medium Soft) B-02-VBC-0134
1x VBC Dynamics F05 Suspension Mount B-02-VBC-0060-05
1x VBC Racing WildFire WildFire Front/Rear Suspension Shim Set (1mm,0.5mm) D-05-VBC-0032
2x Center Suspension Mount Shim Set (1mm, 0.5mm) D-05-VBC-0164

This setup is aimed at Med-high traction, however will work on low traction quite well, for low traction I will tend to change:

1mm inside rear camberlink shim instead of 1.5mm
0.5mm outer front camberlink shim instead of 0
5.5 and 1.5 Droop instead of 5.0 and 1.0
Test kit Orange front spring instead of Red (Track dependent)

This tends to generate more traction, however can make the car quite edgy if you make these changes on high traction.

Hope this helps somewhat, please feel free to message me if anyone has any questions about the setup. I can't guarantee this will work for you, however I have had great success with it, so I hope you guys do too!

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/vbcr...cAsphaltSetup/

Ryan.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Awesome, no worries at all...glad to hear it's working well for you!!

The F05 block gives the car arm sweep, which for me gives less turn in, more exit and high speed steering and smoothens the car out around centre.

You can try both F05 and F00, and just depending on the track grip and technicality of the track you will prefer one. It's often something I play with at every track!

Hope this helps, if you or anyone else have any questions about my setup or setup in general, just fire away!

Ryan

Originally Posted by 69rotang
OK...So I went and bought all of the extra bits to run Ryan's Setup...

WOW!! What a car it is now!! I had to tweak it a tiny bit as I run foams in SSF 10.5t and had a little too much rear grip but the car now feels alive. The factory D07 setup had me a little disappointed as my D06 felt a lot better (funny thing is I have Ryans setup on D06 too) but now i'm super happy with the way D07 is handling. It is now smooth and very consistent and very easy to drive fast and has a heap more steering even with me having dialled some out.

So thank you Ryan!!

I have one question and its regarding the F05 suspension mount. I want to know exactly what that part actually improves with the handling? Reason i'm asking as obviously I am unsure to what the benefit for and against it are but I asked a few different people and I got 3 different answers.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is it me or does the drivetrain feel like it has a lot less drag on it. Same electronics that were in the D06 same settings but when i let off it seems to spin longer on the bench. Belts are way looser on the D06 too.
They free up after a few runs - mine also loosened off more after I de tweaked the chassis
Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by AZ Militia
I am almost through building my kit and have stumbled across a few items. Has anyone else encountered any slop after assembling the zero tolerance pulley? If so, any suggestions? Also, I noticed that there might have been a miscount of 3x8 button head screws when they put everything together in my kit. Anyone run across something like this? This is my first high end kit so I just want to make sure I do it all right! Thanks
I used some sealed bearings on the outer left and right bearings and loctite them in place (very thin amount) I did not do this to the centre bearing. Everyone else I know who has the car hasn't done this and the minor free play(if any) hasn't gotten worse.

Last edited by midse; 12-22-2014 at 02:23 AM. Reason: s
Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ryan Maker
Hi guys,

Since everyone is probably busy building their kits, thought i'd just shed some light on where to start in terms of setup.

The default setup is a fantastic starting point, however I've been testing furiously over the past year and a half and have found a setup that seems to work well at every asphalt track I've raced on. I have had some of my D07 drivers build their cars straight to this setup in both stock and mod and are stoked first run out! Most of this setup was developed from the D06, which I then translated to the D07 with some minor changes.

The main parts you will need (which aren't included in the kit) to use this exact setup are:

1x 7075-T6 Rear Inner Axle (49mm) D-05-VBC-0086
1x TBB Shock Spring (Red-Medium Soft) B-02-VBC-0134
1x VBC Dynamics F05 Suspension Mount B-02-VBC-0060-05
1x VBC Racing WildFire WildFire Front/Rear Suspension Shim Set (1mm,0.5mm) D-05-VBC-0032
2x Center Suspension Mount Shim Set (1mm, 0.5mm) D-05-VBC-0164

This setup is aimed at Med-high traction, however will work on low traction quite well, for low traction I will tend to change:

1mm inside rear camberlink shim instead of 1.5mm
0.5mm outer front camberlink shim instead of 0
5.5 and 1.5 Droop instead of 5.0 and 1.0
Test kit Orange front spring instead of Red (Track dependent)

This tends to generate more traction, however can make the car quite edgy if you make these changes on high traction.

Hope this helps somewhat, please feel free to message me if anyone has any questions about the setup. I can't guarantee this will work for you, however I have had great success with it, so I hope you guys do too!

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/vbcr...cAsphaltSetup/

Ryan.
Hey Ryan what does running the 49mm Inner Axle rear actually do? I asked some of the fast guys at my track and I can tell from the 6 different answers they aren't really sure. I understand arm sweep in the front and run it on all of my cars but the dog bone plunge thing is a mystery.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

My build:

http://joshuasouthoaks.blogspot.com/...d07-build.html

Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey,

That is a tough one because not many people actually know what it does... i'll give it a shot based off what I know and have tested:

Longer Driveshaft (52mm) - sits deeper into the drive cup and binds more under suspension compression. It gives more grip to that end of the car whilst cornering and acceleration but less initial response.

Shorter Driveshaft (49-50mm) - sits shallower into the drive cup and doesn't bind as much under suspension compression. Gives slightly less grip to that end of the car under cornering and acceleration but generates more initial grip and response.

I run the 49mm in the rear of the D07 as I find it sits in a nicer position in the cup and gives more steering (Especially when using the alloy 49mm driveshafts)

I have tested 50mm and 52mm in the front, I just like the 50mm because it gives the car a really precise "twitchy" feeling.

This is just going off what I know and have tested, so hopefully it helps and you find the same

Ryan

Hey Ryan what does running the 49mm Inner Axle rear actually do? I asked some of the fast guys at my track and I can tell from the 6 different answers they aren't really sure. I understand arm sweep in the front and run it on all of my cars but the dog bone plunge thing is a mystery.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree with everything Ryan says up there for the most part.

One of the biggest contributing factors to the difference in feel between longer and shorter drive shafts is how the driveshafts try to straighten out when they are spun quickly.

When you have a shorter driveshaft, the angle of the driveshaft is more aggressive. When there is a greater angle, the effect of the driveshafts trying to straighten out is greater. This tends to make the suspension bind up and resist movement momentarily, which puts more pressure to the tires for a short period of time. This is some of the reason why shorter driveshafts make the car feel more responsive.

Longer ones, the angle is a little bit less aggressive. Thus, the amount of "bind" created by driveshaft wanting to straighten out is decreased. Generally a smoother feeling car is a result. It's especially noticeable when you make direction changes or throttle/brake inputs.

This all kind of depends on the vertical location of the differential in relation to the driveshaft's universal joint at the hub carrier as well. But for our car, Ryan's explanation is a very good general rule of thumb.

Hope that helps some!

-Korey
Old 12-24-2014, 01:11 AM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Track

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
I agree with everything Ryan says up there for the most part.

One of the biggest contributing factors to the difference in feel between longer and shorter drive shafts is how the driveshafts try to straighten out when they are spun quickly.

When you have a shorter driveshaft, the angle of the driveshaft is more aggressive. When there is a greater angle, the effect of the driveshafts trying to straighten out is greater. This tends to make the suspension bind up and resist movement momentarily, which puts more pressure to the tires for a short period of time. This is some of the reason why shorter driveshafts make the car feel more responsive.

Longer ones, the angle is a little bit less aggressive. Thus, the amount of "bind" created by driveshaft wanting to straighten out is decreased. Generally a smoother feeling car is a result. It's especially noticeable when you make direction changes or throttle/brake inputs.

This all kind of depends on the vertical location of the differential in relation to the driveshaft's universal joint at the hub carrier as well. But for our car, Ryan's explanation is a very good general rule of thumb.

Hope that helps some!

-Korey
Korey wondering what track you race at in WA, have you raced in Albany ?

Cheers
Old 12-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Les
Korey wondering what track you race at in WA, have you raced in Albany ?

Cheers
I'm in the us in Washington State (WA). You might be mistaking me location for Western Australia

-Korey
Old 12-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Is there any idea if there will be a conversion kit for the DO6 to a DO7?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.