R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2005, 05:56 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Great feedback Jamescam that Marshall deal sounds great, and the rc camp would really help alot of racers, I think the thing that gets me is a guy will put in a great track with all the trimings and the minute you offer a word of advice he thinks your bitching or complaining then he wonders why the doors are shut in a few seasons??? I have drove my son 3 hours away to race when we had a track less than 4 miles away, quess what the track 3 hours away is still open....
impdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

dose anyone know about a race in nc in oct
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Race camp!
I love it.
Great stuff going on here.
knapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by knapster
Race camp!
I love it.
Great stuff going on here.
Yeah, where do I sign up??
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:14 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Seriously if any of the top drivers were a part of a race camp I would redeem the airline miles and take a week off to attend Someone make this happen! Should be at a really nice facility like the Tamiya USA test track
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Great tracks

Everything that i see here is all good. The one drawback is that you want "on-line" prices when you go to the LHS. Do you expect the LHS to make for a great track & atmosphere out of their generosity? The racers have to give somewhere in order for the LHS to create these tracks. By buying online you take away from the ones that really do give back to the hobby, the track owners and any staff that they might require to give you the "great tracks". The bottom line is, keep buying online and more tracks will close, eventually with fuel prices and everything else it will be back to backyard bashing, then you can say "come to my great track"
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:51 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus
Everything that i see here is all good. The one drawback is that you want "on-line" prices when you go to the LHS. Do you expect the LHS to make for a great track & atmosphere out of their generosity? The racers have to give somewhere in order for the LHS to create these tracks. By buying online you take away from the ones that really do give back to the hobby, the track owners and any staff that they might require to give you the "great tracks". The bottom line is, keep buying online and more tracks will close, eventually with fuel prices and everything else it will be back to backyard bashing, then you can say "come to my great track"
Do I expect a LHS to make a great track out of their generosity? No, when I want to use the track I am more than happy to pay good money to use it. But on the other hand I do not expect to pay for the track via inflated prices when i am not using it. I would easily pay a premium for practice time if the track provided a marshall. Two great margin opportunities a lhs has over an online store is tune/repair type services and track time so why aren't they doing more to get more people there or offering to build that new kit for the customer for $x dollars? If the lhs with a track caters to hardcore racers it is a sure fire way to go bankrupt. ROAR is not growing the market so unfortunately the burden lies on the track and in order to be successful they have to find a way to reach out to the mass consumer in their area. Countless other retail industries are able to thrive side by side with internet pricing and rc should be no different.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:54 PM   #23
Tech Elite

One other small point. I don't expect to pay exactly online prices. If the price online is $309, I have no issue paying $319 at my local hobby shop. However if the lhs is selling that same item for $359 compared to a $309 online price, than they lose that sale.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:00 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescam
If that means $25 to enter a race, fine, just make sure it is worth it in terms of turn out, rewards, environment.
I agree with EVERYTHING Jamescam says....except this one sentance.

A lot of guys can only get to one track to race at because they are on a budget or other reasons. If the track I race at charged a $25 race-fee I know they wouldn't have ever had atleast 1/2 of their weekly racers.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:14 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I have been around a while too, but maybe not as long some of you I see here. I have seen many tracks and shops come and go. I agree with a lot of what has been discussed here, but I have a couple comments to add.

The building of cars for people is kind of couter productive. It gets someone into the hobby, but then when it breaks, and they do. The new hobbyist has to bring it back, and pay more to fix it, because they aren't knowledgeable with the instructions, or the car, or whatever. Most of the time its a young boy that got it for a b-day, or something, and so now it sits in a closet for years, and gets sold at a yardsale for stupid cheap, because it left a sour taste in the parents memory.

I have much better luck when the customer builds the car, and my help is simply explaining how a step in the book may not have been clear enough, or even showing on another car either the finished part, or something. The best success I have found is getting the parent into the hobby too. One I remember the race organiser gave the father a complete car and radio so that he could see exactly what it takes, and help the son better.

OK, back to the subject, sorry, The biggest reason for a track is for people to have FUN. If they do not enjoy themselves at the track, then they won't come back. A track will fail, if it doesn't give people a reason to come back.

Yes, you do need to have competitive prices, and that doesn't meen gowging it out of people, just easing it out. Car kits, and electronics are the hardest to keep competitive, but you also need to keep the daily needed parts at a good price. 40-50 for a body, man those cars are gonna be held together with lots of tape and glue before some will want a new one.

ok later
Kevin Michellich
dsrbltoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:46 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Default also

The popularity of the sport in general is the critical element.
The best I can determine the number of people participating in RC Car racing is at best constant, at worst is slowly losing people.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:58 AM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrbltoys
The building of cars for people is kind of couter productive. It gets someone into the hobby, but then when it breaks, and they do. The new hobbyist has to bring it back, and pay more to fix it, because they aren't knowledgeable with the instructions, or the car, or whatever. Most of the time its a young boy that got it for a b-day, or something, and so now it sits in a closet for years, and gets sold at a yardsale for stupid cheap, because it left a sour taste in the parents memory.

I have much better luck when the customer builds the car, and my help is simply explaining how a step in the book may not have been clear enough, or even showing on another car either the finished part, or something. The best success I have found is getting the parent into the hobby too. One I remember the race organiser gave the father a complete car and radio so that he could see exactly what it takes, and help the son better.

ok later
Kevin Michellich

I think you bring up a very valid point. I also think that this line of thinking is becoming outdated though with the flood of RTR kits on the market. There are many choices for any class of RC racing that you can get an RTR model for. I know that most of the hobby shops in the So cal area will build a kit for you for a fee. For me, a kit is the only way to go. People who buy a RTR and try to race right away face a steep learning curve and are at a great disadvantage. Whether I agree with it or not, the RTR craze is here to stay and will bring its share of new racers into RC. Some will stick but most will fade away. At least they will run the car a little. I know of people who bought a kit when they really wanted an RTR and never finished building it. Thats not to different from somebody buying the RTR and only running it once except the guy with the RTR actually get to run the car.

I think the answer probably lie in between. Maybe offer kit building to get people started, then teach them how to do it themselfs as they progress. I know of one LHS that has tables and chairs inside so people can sit and build the kits themselfs. The owner will lend them tools and help them when they get stuck. Of course he can sell them option parts and any dropped/lost peices too.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #28
Tech Regular

This has turned out to be a great thread that hit on many of the things that are facing the sport of rc as we know it, lots of good ideas too, I think what just happened over the weekend in Vegas goes to show us all how it can be done, Scotty is one heck of a guy , promoter,and a ambassador to our hobby from the nobody to the world champ everyone got the full shake if some of our track owners could take a few lessons from him they would be a lot more sucessful tracks and rc venues that would be fun to go to and race and spend your hard earned money...
impdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #29
Tech Elite

I couldn't agree more. The quality of promotion and event of the IIC is exactly what this hobby needs! As poker is what I know, I always think of how the individual tournaments before the days of the World Poker Tour were very similiar to the individual races (Snowbirds, Reedy, etc.) we see today. TV coverage was able to unify the sport and take it to a level never imagined. Unfortunately I do not see ROAR taking the hobby to that level, not that this is entirely ROAR's fault but how does the ROAR President benefit financially from taking it to this level of success since ROAR is a not for profit organization?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by impdog
This has turned out to be a great thread that hit on many of the things that are facing the sport of rc as we know it, lots of good ideas too, I think what just happened over the weekend in Vegas goes to show us all how it can be done, Scotty is one heck of a guy , promoter,and a ambassador to our hobby from the nobody to the world champ everyone got the full shake if some of our track owners could take a few lessons from him they would be a lot more sucessful tracks and rc venues that would be fun to go to and race and spend your hard earned money...
These posts are funny to read!

One of my local tracks has been hurting for racers.
We used to have 50 plus TCs every Sunday but now we cant count on any one showing up to race.
Now do you want to know the funny part. My local track is Trackside run by Scotty Ernest!
Skip109 is offline   Reply With Quote