R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

There are 3 or 4 drivers that have dominated the US/Canadian on road scene over the past few years on a consistent basis. Paul Lemieux, Rick Hohwart, Kevin Hebert and most recently Andrew Hardman.
I was brought up racing with Paul in Milwaukee. Trackside Hobbies, a carpet track was the only place we had to race. There are no on road asphalt tracks at all in S.E. Wisconsin and to find one you have to travel at least 2 hours south to Joliet, IL (Leisure Hours) to practice or race.
I now live in So Cal so I have the opportunity to race with Rick. The problem that all of these guys currently face is that there are simply no tracks for them to practice or race on a regular basis. The closest track for Rick to run on is over a 100 miles north in Camarillo, CA. It's open two weekends a month. He also has an occasional opportunity to run at the Tamiya USA track (which is open only to Tamiya Brand cars) 2 or 3 times a year when the track is open to all brands of cars to run at a club race (Speedtech Gran Prix). Recently a very small on road track, CAL Raceway, has been restored but it is way too small to get any meaningful modified practice at.
I'm not sure about the racing scene in the Toronto area where Kevin and Andrew live, but since Fast Cats closed (a carpet track), I'm sure both of them are left with little opportunities to race/practice on a regular basis without a significant distance to travel. That's not to mention the very short outdoor racing season these guys have in Canada, if there was a permanent track for them to race at.
What this all boils down to is that these guy's only real opportunity to race is at the large events themselves. I am amazed at how well they perform with so little opportunity to practice... on asphalt or carpet. Their finishing positions at the IFMAR World's were incredible considering the small amount of wheel time each had to prepare for this event or any event for that matter compared to their European and Asian competitors.
Lastly but probably most important is the fact that with the exception of Andrew (who turned 16 last weekend) there is no up and coming young talent that is being groomed to eventually replace our veteran drivers. They're all running off road. With the very high operating costs to run a good track these days severely limiting the number of tracks that exist in the US and the popularity of off road in North America attracting all of the young talent, I'm afraid we won't be competitive on a world scale in on road racing for a long time.
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #122
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Pointy 2x4's definitely aren't the answer anymore. The Gate has some really nice, and quite forgiving barriers. If you clout one your car will break, but normally you just glance off of them. I hate racing on dot tracks simply because they offer the opportunity to dive inside someone outside the intended track limit, which usually results in the smarter driver being collected when the negligent driver's car comes flying off the dot.
At the Gate we had two races this year that were "Dot" layouts. We came up with very small and low dots and attached them to FRP sheets (very thin plastic). We only ran F1, USGT and VTA at those events but those were great tracks and very well received. The big advantage is the lack of a board defining the corner makes it easier to see your car. Yes the corner can be cut but how it upsets the car makes it a slow way around. The issue with using that to get inside a competitor does exist but good "racers" respect their competitor. Brian Wynn practiced his WGT on the layout and loved it. The main reason is visibility, very few boards at all.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #123
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post
There are 3 or 4 drivers that have dominated the US/Canadian on road scene over the past few years on a consistent basis. Paul Lemieux, Rick Hohwart, Kevin Hebert and most recently Andrew Hardman.
I was brought up racing with Paul in Milwaukee. Trackside Hobbies, a carpet track was the only place we had to race. There are no on road asphalt tracks at all in S.E. Wisconsin and to find one you have to travel at least 2 hours south to Joliet, IL (Leisure Hours) to practice or race.
I now live in So Cal so I have the opportunity to race with Rick. The problem that all of these guys currently face is that there are simply no tracks for them to practice or race on a regular basis. The closest track for Rick to run on is over a 100 miles north in Camarillo, CA. It's open two weekends a month. He also has an occasional opportunity to run at the Tamiya USA track (which is open only to Tamiya Brand cars) 2 or 3 times a year when the track is open to all brands of cars to run at a club race (Speedtech Gran Prix). Recently a very small on road track, CAL Raceway, has been restored but it is way too small to get any meaningful modified practice at.
I'm not sure about the racing scene in the Toronto area where Kevin and Andrew live, but since Fast Cats closed (a carpet track), I'm sure both of them are left with little opportunities to race/practice on a regular basis without a significant distance to travel. That's not to mention the very short outdoor racing season these guys have in Canada, if there was a permanent track for them to race at.
What this all boils down to is that these guy's only real opportunity to race is at the large events themselves. I am amazed at how well they perform with so little opportunity to practice... on asphalt or carpet. Their finishing positions at the IFMAR World's were incredible considering the small amount of wheel time each had to prepare for this event or any event for that matter compared to their European and Asian competitors.
Lastly but probably most important is the fact that with the exception of Andrew (who turned 16 last weekend) there is no up and coming young talent that is being groomed to eventually replace our veteran drivers. They're all running off road. With the very high operating costs to run a good track these days severely limiting the number of tracks that exist in the US and the popularity of off road in North America attracting all of the young talent, I'm afraid we won't be competitive on a world scale in on road racing for a long time.
This is pretty much right on the money