R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #106
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Agreed to a certain extent, but back in the day, ALL tracks were 2x4's and in the US tracks were short by Global standards. I know one WC that did nearly all of his racing on 65'x35' tracks. He won on a track nearly twice the size he was used to, and beat the Naoto of his era. Back in the day we manned up, and learned to drive without dots. On sissy layouts with dots, a hack can win a few WC's because mistakes count less.

How about the greasy track conditions at the 12th worlds. Euro 12th drivers are used to drifting their cars around a dotted track. Add Vegas, Snowbirds, Cleveland or Halloween Classic style bite, with REAL barriers and the results woulda been different, sorry, but it's truth.
Back in the day the cars were slow. In 1999, you could get 2 heats of mod at Leisure hours carpet track in sedan. Why? It was within the reach of normal human reflexes. When I saw the video of the 2000 worlds at Yatabe, it was amazing how slow mod was. This is not the case anymore.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default No difference between racers

"Gas tracks" don't deter electric racers from running. Electric racers decide, on their own, not to run at these tracks. Mostly because they cannot run 17.5 on a "big" track. They have found numerous, unfounded reasons to NOT run Mod TC. Every track that I have raced gas cars at locally (tri-state area), has always welcomed Electric TC classes. They have NEVER been turned away or discouraged.
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #108
Tech Master

Could it have something to do with not wanting to race for 6 minutes and then being expected to marshal for 30?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #109
Tech Master

Could it have something to do with not wanting to race for 6 minutes and then being expected to marshal for 30?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewdawg View Post
"Gas tracks" don't deter electric racers from running. Electric racers decide, on their own, not to run at these tracks. Mostly because they cannot run 17.5 on a "big" track. They have found numerous, unfounded reasons to NOT run Mod TC. Every track that I have raced gas cars at locally (tri-state area), has always welcomed Electric TC classes. They have NEVER been turned away or discouraged.
While it would be fun learning to run mod TC on larger tracks, I think many of the programs held at those facilities would have to make a few concessions to encourage Electric TC turnouts. Speaking exclusively from my point of view, I think separate practice sessions for nitro and electric cars would have to be considered if we were to start making a move towards running nitro and mod electric cars at the same venue on the same race day.Personally, I would be very hesitant to practice amongst heavier vehicles traveling at similar speeds, as even accidental contact almost guarantees the lighter car sustaining significant damage in a high speed impact.

Another item to consider would be track preparation procedures and overall facility preparedness; local tracks would more or less have to standardize their track prep rituals so that racers traveling to multiple venues could expect the same type of prepped surface. I'd find it annoying to have to reconfigure a car to run on VHT for one event when most of the other venues use soda or sugar water. Using either method for prepping the surface still puts us behind the rest of the world since most tracks aren't prepped like ours here in the states; if we were to get truly serious about developing mod TC drivers, we'd also have to consider running on green race tracks.

Let's not discount some of the other basics either - adequate electricity for charging batteries, and the fact that lighter cars using rubber tires need smoother racing surfaces. Both of those attributes aren't absolute requirements for nitro racing, but are of great importance to electric racers. In short, I don't think nitro and electric racing are exclusive realms because they WANT to be, but most venues truly cater to one group or the other. While all of the outdoor tracks in my area encourage ALL racers to attend, some racers attend knowing that they are making concessions to their preferences for a given racing facility. Considering the time and expense involved, I could see why racers might prefer venues that cater to their chosen racing discipline - I know I do...
Old 10-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Valid point, but easily solved... A local off road track near me has used the perfect solution for this dilemma with great success - gas racers marshall gas races, electric racers marshal electric races. Otherwise, asking racers to marshal a main event that exceeds the amount of track time they receive is absurd.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

You'd think it would be easily solved, but a local track here does that to when they can. But then they run the electric mains last to let the premier gas guys that spend the night in their trailers and travel 6-8 hours to be there go home. I also hated practicing even with my 1/8 ebuggy against nitro. The cars are just as loud as the drivers constanly yelling at their pit people.

It comes down to, on road and off, nitro and electric people are just different personality types. And while way may get along, the racing styles and rules are too different for a smooth and happy relationship to exist long term with enough drivers of iether to support the effort. One side will always feel they are giving up more than the other in any type of compromise. It sucks that that is the way it is, but its America, and Americans like what they like and nobody can tell us otherwise.

In addition there are so many other things to do here. We have hiking, boating, 4 wheelin, mud runs, triathalons, football, baseball, basketball, biking, oh and rc is a middle class hobby here. That means things are kept on a tight budget for both the racer and racing facility.

Also as mentioned before 17.5 is what mod used to be. So for us Amercans it was a natural transition to 17.5 while utilizing the same facilities. There are only a handful of tracks around the country that csn handle the speeds a modern mod produces. Then we get into the issue spoken about above. And as
much fun as people make of 25.5 and 21.5, thats the speed stock (27t) and superstock (19t) used to be.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

I guess if you could get ifmar to allow a 17.5 or 13.5 WC class to exist, we might stand a chance. Bitd mod was much slower, a class that could exist at nearly any track (within reason). Obviously we have limited resources in the states when it comes to current electric mod racing. As long as mod is the only class at an ifmar worlds, then I wouldn't expect to see a US driver pull it off. These guys like PL are doing an absolutely amazing job to be where they are. I bet if Paul had the finances to move overseas and race on those tracks on a weekly basis, he'd have the ability to maybe take a WC.