R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default What is the best dyno?

I'm looking to buy one ..anyone please.... share how good your dyno is..
thanks.
Edgarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:34 AM   #2
Tech Master

Besides the track and a stop watch, the CE Turbodyno 45 hands down. The only dyno worth spending your money on. You can find them used on ebay as well as buy/sell sections of many message boards.
(978) 416-2572
Hyperform Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:35 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Cool Dyno

I just sold my CE Turbo Dyno.
I now use the Much/More Surikarn Edition Dyno.
I get all of the data I need there.
Excellent choice.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:36 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would say either a CE turbo 30 or Turbo 45. Or a Robitronics.

Both are know to be very good dynos. The Robi can be bought new. For the CE however, will have to watch Ebay or the for sale thread on here as they are no longer made. CE does however stand behind them and can repair it if needed. I personally have the Turbo 45 but you would be disappointed with either machine.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Oh, one more thing both these units are expensive but well worth the extra money.

Chris
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:44 AM   #5
Tech Champion

There is only one that generates real results. The Competition Electronics Turbo Dyno. Unfortunately is is discontinued and when they come up on ebay they go for premium prices.

The flywheel dynos have fallen out of favor in the last couple of years due to the fact that there is no one numerical output from that type of dyno that really tells you if a motor is good or not. The power numbers are meaningless as higher RPM motors will alway yield a higher power number than lower RPM motors even though the lower RPM motors may be better on the track. Super stiff springs will also fool a flywheel dyno into spitting out good numbers.

The Turbo Dyno does not suffer from these shortcomings. It gives you a set of consistent repeatable figures that are easy to compare motor to motor.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Thanks guys.....recently bought a used Integy Dyno V2, suddenly died on me...bad luck!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:51 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Adrain is correct... I used to runa fantom dyno and since swithched a while back. I had killer #'s on the fantom and ran the same motor on the TD45 and on the TD45 the motor was a dog..track tested to back up what I saw. Yes PRM in most cases puts up higher #'s but load test they s*** the bed.

TD all the way....

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:53 AM   #8
Tech Adept

what about the Trinity Monster horsepower machine ?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 AM   #9
Tech Adept

what is the actual 'brand name' of TD please ?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:35 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgarski
what is the actual 'brand name' of TD please ?
Competition Electronics
brianrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #11
Tech Regular

CE Turbo dyno hands down.

Out of the flywheel dyno's the Robitronic is the best. I used this one for about 4 years and it does show comparable results to the CE dyno and motors that typically dyno well on that run good on the track.

I would have to say the next most accurate would be the CS power dyno.

Finally the Fantom, but I wouldnt use one.
erock1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Cool CE Turbo Dyno 45

Edgar-
The CE is the best! It is load bearing and does give the mose complete view of what a motor will do. It is in how you use it.

It is big, bulky and cumbersome. I needed a tool for my pit box and travel.
I run the same motors all the time. I only use it for stock applications. I always use my own brushes.
I know what a good motor is for torque in my Monsters.

RPM and current draw tell me the story and I get numbers for single cell to six cell equivilant inputs. If my amp draw is properly moving upward with those levels moving upward then I know I'm not sprung too light.
If the RPM is in the ball park then I'm good. I can see spring and brush changes and how the motor runs. I make changes from there.

The Much/More is small and $160. My 6 year old CE Dyno sold for $465.
I can get within 95% with the small unit and get the rest on the track. The track is the real Dyno. It is good to be close though.

TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Tex
I have owned both the small Integy dyno and the Robi. Sold the Robi wish I hadn't now. But what does the Much More do over say the small Orion and Integy dyno/motor checkers?

Without some type of load on the motor, even a flywheel, how can the RPM be accurate?

I'd like a cheaper alternative but I just can't see how this unit would help out much.

For instance say you have Motor 1 pulling 22000 rpm on a CE dyno
and motor 2 pulling 20000 on CE dyno
Can you spin them up on a Much more dyno and still see that Motor 1 has more RPM??
erock1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Nothing beats the track for a dyno but by far the best dyno out there is the CE Turbodyno. Out of the Flywheel style dynos the Robitronics and CS work well. The Robis is better suited for production environemnts and the CS is great for the racer who wants more info but isn't starting a motor biz.

Whatevery you do don't get the fantom its test results corolate very poorly if at all to on track performance.

Test devices without load such as the Trinity, Much More, Orion, Integy, Yokomo, and APS (built into their charger) only provide RPM and amp dray under no load and will give you an idea of the motor's condition but only an incomplete picture of its performance.

If you feel you need a dyno and can afford it get the TD or CS otherwise go with the APS since it gives you a good charger along with the motor check feature for the same price.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:23 PM   #15
Tech Regular

As it has been said in earlier posts, the Competition Turbo Dyno is the most accurate dyno. Gains in performance on this dyno directly equates to gains on the race track.
This is the only dyno we use here at the shop as well as at the track...

Hope this helps,
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
www.putnampropulsion.com
518-452-0422
Todd Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote