R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-20-2005, 02:29 AM   #46
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Much More Motor Master and the machines from Team Orion, Peak and GM-Racing what are based on the same design are no dynos. You just can measure amp draw and RPM without load.
For a real dyno you have to put a load on the motor.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

what about the old tekin dyno, it has a slave motor load .....you can still find them on ebay for a resionable price

are they any good?
BrentL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:12 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

They are ok from what I understand. I dont think they can put a huge load on the motor though, and I'm nto sure if you can do varied steps of load on the motor either. I guess you might be able to rig something up, but the CE turbo dyno is still the best.

-Korey
Old 09-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #49
Tech Addict

i actually have one of the tekins as well as a robi. i was never able to get real consistent readings with the tekin. by this i do not mean motor vs. motor, nor even same motor on different pulls. while a given motor was running under load, the numbers always jumped around. this experience was the basis of my question above on slave motor dynos.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:00 AM   #50
V12
Tech Elite

I think most dynos donīt have real consistent readings as there is no or not a good voltage regulation. If so the results are quite useless. Especially the ones running from a 7.2 V batterypack donīt have a regulation.
From what I know just the CE and the Robi have a working regulation but this is one of the points what will result in the high costs for these machines.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:45 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Whatever happened to that thing Trintiy was selling? Robotronics I believe it was.
Homer Allman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #52
Tech Initiate

Default dyno

there was a good article in extreme rc cars recently...
www.rc411.com
RC_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #53
Tech Adept

Cool A possibility...

I have been reading this thread and would tend to agree that the slave-motor dyno setup would be able to provide greater spectrum of tests and information than the flywheel/inertial dyno would, but the slave-motor setup is very dependant on the condition of the slave motor.

I was wondering if any of the companies had thought about using an electrical resistance drive instead of the slave motor? For the electrical resistance method just have the test motor spin a small AC generator that would be attached to a variable resistance element providing a variable (but constant when needed) load. The power measurements would be easy to figure out for constant RPM situations:

Power(watts) = (Electrical Current (amps))^2 * (Resistance (ohms)) / (Generator efficiency)

or

Power = Voltage(from generator) * Current (to elment) / Gen. Efficiency

Another good reason this would work well is because the test results are only a function of the output from the generator, not the input to the test motor. You could run the test with your own ESC/Battery hooked up (or to get identical runs have a unit controlled power supply as well).

Anyway, this is just a thought I happened to have at lunch today.

Cheers
enggboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #54
Tech Apprentice

i have cs turbo 30 dyno. i love it, mostly because i don't need to use a computer to see all of the info. like someone else said the ce doesn't calculate toque like the fantom and the robo. all of them can be bulky, i only use mine at home and big races.

jeff
hyena boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #55
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Any of the dyno/motor checkers mentioned can be used with great success.

It's all about how to read the numbers and knowing what to do with them.

Knowledge is power, when you know what to do with it....
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #56
Tech Regular

how much is the robitronics dyno new? i know you can get a decent used one for around 500 which isnt bad considering how nice of a dyno it is
BrentL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #57
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I am one of the only importers in the US.....they sale for over $900, I would have to check my price list....

Later EddieO
Old 11-30-2005, 12:36 AM   #58
Tech Regular

is the Integy Indi v2 Dyno as good as the Much More Motor Master 3.0??

the Indi is half the price, the menus look the same....

also if you want to put load on the motor whilst testing it, isnt it possible to put the motor in the car and run the dyno thus putting a load on the motor?
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Neither! CE TD-45 is the only way to fly.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1
Neither! CE TD-45 is the only way to fly.
Yeah, it was one of the first dynos and nothing is even close to it for getting real results.

To use flywheel dynos you have to have a lot of experieince and put toghter a few results from diffrent screens and you still dont have any concrete answers. You can get a huge power number from a flywheel dyno and the motor may still be a dog on the track.

With a Turbo Dyno you can read the results right off the print out and know if a motor is good or not. Best of all what you see on the track always backs up what is on the print out.

The problem with the Turbo Dyno is that it is out of production and getting one from a guy that has one is about as easy as getting Charlton Heston to give up guns. This is why they still sell for top $$ on eBay.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote