Community
Wiki Posts
Search

did i damage my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Default did i damage my battery?

hi i have a gp3300 stik pack... i acidentally short circuited the batteries... after i charged, the bananna clips touch ends a bit for about a second... are the batteries going to lose some life to them?

what should i do now? put in freezer? any tips appreciated
Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Seeing as how your name is "noobie," I would say no. Although you do need to take care of your batteries, the damage (if you can really call it that...) will not be noticeable. And I think your safe to go ahead and run the battery down like you normally would. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
-Josh
Old 09-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Yes,you have just shorten the lifespan of your cells by a bit by doing that.Now your cells could have higher internal resistence.But if you're not racing and just bashing around,I would worry too much about it.If its a race cell,,it would probably downgraded to a practice cell.And I would heartache a little while....

But try to be careful the next time,I believe everyone who has been in this hobby has shorten more then 1 pack in his RC-ing life.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

With all due respect, do you really think he shortened the life of his pack? I sure don't. And if he did shorten the life, it sure wasn't enough to automatically degrade is pack to the "practice" level. It was being shorted for one second. If you can honestly feel the difference from that, you deserve to be sponsered...
-Josh
Old 09-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ben.C

But try to be careful the next time,I believe everyone who has been in this hobby has shorten more then 1 pack in his RC-ing life.
I've got about 3 packs and a few swollen cells that agree with you
Old 09-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi,

I seriously doubt you did any long term damage to the cells if it was an instantaneous thing. inside a stock motor which has laydown brushes there is a small amount of time where the motor is shorted. This is deliberate and effectively shorts the cells. You will be fine.

Chris.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

ok thanks... i discharging now and will see if it goes back to same levels....

the short wasnt a hard contact ... just the bannna plugs touched lightly and made a few buzzing noises... happened twice
Old 09-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

you are fine. There should be no noticable damage, if you didn't even feel your batteries heat up. And even if they did heat, it would take more than "a second" to do any real damage that is noticable.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

really dont think you have a problem ... .. just make sure to keep those plugs apart ... Or try Deans ultra plugs . and put one on your charger that way you wont have to worry about shorting your paks .. (just a suggestion )) ... good luck at the races ..
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Heck ! ....wat damage ? ....you just ZAPPED your cells, if anything, you should see higher voltage and lower IR. ....pple use to pay $$$$ to buy a battery zapper

....Kid !.....Kid !
Old 09-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

lol Zapped, I think it has to be a little higher voltage, lol like many times more.... but yeah I have done the same thing. LOL well one time my batteries shorted on my graphite chassis and smoke came out. That might lower the performance of the battery but just a little zap? its fine. I still use my Zapped GP3700 from japan and they have more punch then the normal matched and I shorted them with the banana plugs.