R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Need help with Integy Automatic comm lathe

I recently picked up one of these:
http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...01105027243.11

The "Team Auto-Super Lathe w/ Carbide V-Block"

and the lathe is cutting very slight (but noticeable) "ripples" into the comm. Basically meaning that the comm is not cut totally flat, but rather with bumpy variances (which appear to be consistent).

WTF?

Anyone else have this problem with this (or any) lathe? Is there an adjustment to fix this? Is the lathe screwed up? Should I have not bought this lathe at all, which Integy says is "The most precise & accurate commutator lathe available on the market." (Yeah, I know that's marketing hype, but it should at least be able to cut a straight line.)

HELP!
sixandeightstri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
alb
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Usually "ripples" indicate a vibration. Make sure everything is tight and straight. I took the 55t out of mine and put a 27t arm in to get more speed.
alb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Cool - thanks. I just got a bunch of tips from a tech at Integy too, I'll try them when I get home.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome!
Old 09-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixandeightstri
I recently picked up one of these:
http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...01105027243.11

The "Team Auto-Super Lathe w/ Carbide V-Block"

and the lathe is cutting very slight (but noticeable) "ripples" into the comm. Basically meaning that the comm is not cut totally flat, but rather with bumpy variances (which appear to be consistent).

WTF?

Anyone else have this problem with this (or any) lathe? Is there an adjustment to fix this? Is the lathe screwed up? Should I have not bought this lathe at all, which Integy says is "The most precise & accurate commutator lathe available on the market." (Yeah, I know that's marketing hype, but it should at least be able to cut a straight line.)

HELP!

i used to have this lathe and have the same problem. i set it up million times with different washers and still cant get rid of it. i really think its their carbide bit but i could be wrong. i got rid of mine and bought a hudy and its very smooth.
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The wobble could be in the dovetail guide for the tool block. Tighten up the little set screws in the side of it to minimize the play. Same with the upper part of the block that actually holds the bit.

Btw, I like the idea of swapping out the arm in the drive motor. As it comes, it does spin the arm you are truing way to slowly. I had a new pulley made that is much bigger in diameter than the stock one, so it spins the arm faster.
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
Tech Adept

My guess is that inside the unit is a resistor for the motor, since it's probably the stock 55t lathe motor that Integy uses; it might be better to swap out that resistor for something that would allow more voltage through (or better yet, a variable resistor with a pot for adjustment) rather than a new pulley or swapped arm - those 55 turn arms can last a LOOONG time.