R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default who makes the best beginners tc? what chassis is it?

well who makes the best beginners chassis ?
hotrod306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
Tech Regular

If you are a beginner, the most important is track time, so just buy any car that has local parts support and start practicing.
Also, don't fall into the trap that ANY item will make you faster until you can turn consistent laps on pace with most of the other people at the track you go to
Old 10-06-2014, 03:57 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Head to your local track, look what the guys there are racing. Get the same.

Imagine the support, as a "beginner" in a class in this hobby. You'll get set up tips, maybe some nice guys will lend you spares if you break something.

Everyone wants more racers at the track.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get a good used high end chassi from the local track.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod306 View Post
well who makes the best beginners chassis ?
Good advice so far. Also consider durability and ease of build if you plan on building from a kit vs. going used. Even used I'd suggest getting the manual and doing a full rebuild to make sure everything is up to par. Used X-Rays are normally a good bet as the cars are very durable with tight tolerances out of the box. The upfront expense is a little higher but part breakage is normally lower so up to you to determine whether you want to pay early or pay later with a car that might be a bit less durable. No right or wrong there. It comes down to what you are comfortable with. I've no experience with the ARC cars but the guys that run them seem to think they are durable and go together easily.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I would reccomend against used if you can help it. Used can be good if you are on a tight budget, but it really takes a lot out of initially building and understanding how the car is supposed to work when it is new. Used won't show you how to build shocks, diffs, or break in belts, as well as sealing carbon (optional) and where to place shims.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
I would reccomend against used if you can help it. Used can be good if you are on a tight budget, but it really takes a lot out of initially building and understanding how the car is supposed to work when it is new. Used won't show you how to build shocks, diffs, or break in belts, as well as sealing carbon (optional) and where to place shims.
That is up to the one making the purchase. Nothing is stopping someone from doing a partial or complete tear-down and re-build of a used roller, which they should be doing anyways. Every manual is found online.

To concur with what Chaz955i is saying, used Xrays are typically a solid choice... I'm a long-time member of the "used Xray club" . As soon as the newest version drops, the previous cars go for sale like crazy. A couple of bearings and a little tlc, and you have yourself a super solid car to go run. Years ago I would have advised against used but these days quality is better, and Xray quality is undisputable. Kit building may give you the warm,fuzzy feeling but getting value for my dollar is top priority. I'm loving my '13 and will probably add a '14 to the stable very soon.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Best beginner TC = AE TC4 !!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Best beginner TC = AE TC4 !!!
.....not a bad idea, new kits are still available, you can run it in Vintage Trans-Am until you learn how to drive (and then some). Then you can get your first upgraded kit after you get hooked on this very addicting drug.

Personally I like to build a new kit so I have a better understanding of how it all works together, and I know it's not 'damaged goods' as in having a tweaked chassis or bent components.

Oo=00=oO
OttoKrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Yeah, I think it's not a bad idea to buy used as well. You can even see the car and run before you buy, and hopefully spot issues that may otherwise trap a neophyte alone in front of a bunch of stuff they don't really know how it should go together. The seller might even be nice enough to give you a brief course in setup/maintenance.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Buyer beware. It's one thing to buy from a fellow racer who takes care of their stuff and gives you a recently setup car with correct information that leads you in the right direction. It's a whole different ball game when you buy a bashed out car from a random guy on Craigslist, who has no clue about maintenance or setup, and has never been to an RC race in his life.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I have no problem with used if it isn't your first type of that chassis, but starting used with a car you have little to no experience with it not In my opinion the best way to go.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've seen experienced guys pull their hair out over used car problems, especially when guys sell them cars that have been crashed with bent parts. which can be a nightmare to detect, and annoying when the car won't stop pulling to the left. This isn't the case always of course, but its one of the risk you assume when making a used purchase.

For a newbie, with zero experience—why take the risk? They'll have enough headaches figuring out how to swap out doggones lol. Trust me, I dig the saving money argument, but sometimes I'd rather my peace of mind over saving a few bucks.
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
SMC, Max Amps, LRP, Poseidon Motors, Cordova Research Motors, Xceed.
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Also if you do buy used, make sure that you download the manual. I have seen cars that were assembled wrong and the owner couldn't get it run right and then sold it.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
Tech Addict

I've always suggested for beginners "the best" is the best you can afford and the easiest to get parts for
bd581 is offline   Reply With Quote