Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
who makes the best beginners tc? what chassis is it? >

who makes the best beginners tc? what chassis is it?

who makes the best beginners tc? what chassis is it?

Old 10-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evo 13
I've seen experienced guys pull their hair out over used car problems, especially when guys sell them cars that have been crashed with bent parts. which can be a nightmare to detect, and annoying when the car won't stop pulling to the left. This isn't the case always of course, but its one of the risk you assume when making a used purchase.

For a newbie, with zero experience—why take the risk? They'll have enough headaches figuring out how to swap out doggones lol. Trust me, I dig the saving money argument, but sometimes I'd rather my peace of mind over saving a few bucks.
True but it goes both ways with beginners often buying a lower quality car as that is all they can afford then struggling with build and car setup.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

so far no one has really said that brand x is the best beginners car because ______?.
every one is just saying to buy used cars.....
only cars mentioned is team ae tc4 with out any reasons & Xray.... quality is undisputable

only chassis that comes up (google) as a beginners chassis is Schumacher mi1. Schumacher says Mi1 is the ideal first “Race Car” what you guys think?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Without knowing your budget, it is hard to help.

If it's purely a question of what is user-friendly, well built, and should be easy to get working well, then you have brands like Xray, ARC, VBC.... maybe stay away from something that is unique in design such as Awesomatix and Schumacher (Mi5) until you gain more experience. There are lots of competitive, affordable cars (Durango, TC6.2, Spec-R) but I do not think you find the durability as good as the first three I listed, IMO.

Mi1 Schumacher is an Ok choice, should work decent out of the box.... but will you find others running them that can help with set up?

Just go to your track and see what everyone else is running. Pick the most "common" brand. That's the best I can tell you in a nutshell.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

We are a bunch of racers new in TC and drives Tamiya TRF418 and 417v5's and many Xray T4-14's and T4'15's.

Before I went for the Tamiya, many said go for an Xray, very durable.

Maybe this is true, but my experience with my two Tamiya's (one driven by my 10 year old son) running mod, is that we do not brake more than the other rookie Xray drivers.

They break, adjust, maintain, correct just as much as we do, maybe even more.

So in my view, a well maintained used Tamiya (e.g. 417X or 417v5) could be a valid choice for a good "starter" TC.

Personally, I don't care what others are driving at the track. I stock most parts, so I don't depend on others or local shops, and even if I can't get a detailed setup from others with similar cars, due to my rookie status, a kit setup or a setup found on the net more than supports my needs and abilities.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hotrod306
so far no one has really said that brand x is the best beginners car because ______?.
every one is just saying to buy used cars.....
only cars mentioned is team ae tc4 with out any reasons & Xray.... quality is undisputable

only chassis that comes up (google) as a beginners chassis is Schumacher mi1. Schumacher says Mi1 is the ideal first “Race Car” what you guys think?
Because we know better.

As soon as you name a car there'll be a million voices claiming that a million other cars are the best and we'll end up comparing penises.

Again.

Be wise. Do as you're told. Go to your race track, see what the locals support and run. Remember in the pre internet days this is what we did. Same works today.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Because we know better.

As soon as you name a car there'll be a million voices claiming that a million other cars are the best and we'll end up comparing penises.

Again.

Be wise. Do as you're told. Go to your race track, see what the locals support and run. Remember in the pre internet days this is what we did. Same works today.
Brutal Truth ^^^
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

I don't usually take part in this kind of discussions but couldn't help...

1) Buying used is a terrible idea in my opinion. Especially as a first car. I've done it in the past (not for my first car though, thankfully) and there was ALWAYS something to fix. ALWAYS. Plus, as some others said, nothing replaces buiding the thing by yourself, it's huge part of the pleasure and you know your car literally inside and out after that. Nowadays manuals are so good you'll probably manage to get the car running without help or previous experience.

2) Not all brands are equal when is comes to aging, particularly with less than perfect use/maintenance. Buying a Tamiya used is just asking for trouble ( I guess I could think of people I'd buy a Tamiya from because the guys are nothing short of anal when it comes to maintenance, but I don't intend to buy a Tamiya TC any time soon).

Xrays age much, MUCH better, but that doesn't make them impossible to mess up. Anecdote: one day I was having trouble with my Photon TC during a race and for a minute I considered buying the T3'12 one of the guys was selling for 250$ (this was like 2 months after the car was released). Until I saw the car in person. I had no idea you could do that to a car in less than 20 packs on carpet.

Bottom line, try to avoid buying used unless you get a killer deal and/or you know the car has been taken very good care of. It all depens of your budget obviously, but as an example I'd buy a new-in-box BD7RS over a used BD7 Black Series any day.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Oh, and forget the MI1 or the TC4. One is overpriced and the other has imperial hardware AND is kind of overpriced. Don't want to start a debate, just stating my opinion.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

The TC4 is the best beginner car because it's the simplest car period !!!!!! If you're not really a beginner, then get an Awesomatix A700.....
Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I bought a used Tamiya TRF417v5 that was meticulous maintained, new bearings, drive shafts everything. Got it much cheaper than a new 418.

Got a new 418 also, and here a couple of months later, both cars feels equally tight.

As always, when buying used, you must know how to spot "hot from not".

Here in my part of the world, you can buy cheap used complete TC's, especially when new versions are released, and if you buy such a car from a racer from your club, that you know take care of his stuff, buying used is a safe bet and so many times cheaper than buying new. You can get a complete well maintained car with electronics (except tx/rx) for half the price of a kit.

Another thing, many have the opinion that the best way to start is to buy a new kit because you then learn how your car is put together.

But many newcomers to e.g. TC's are maybe not that technically skilled, and maybe starting up with a new kit that needs to be assembled, electronics installed etc. is too much.

Maybe for some, a "slow start" is better, and more suited to the immediate skills, so buying a used complete car and then gradually learn as maintenance and repairs ticks in, is better.