R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2005, 03:02 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default APS Dyno-Charge 3 in 1 unit

Anyone tested/used this unit before? Any review or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Edgarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:06 AM   #2
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Here's the R/C Tech review of it:
http://www.rctech.net/reviews/review...e_futureal.php

Note that there is a new S3 model out as well, which adds 3-step charging and improves the menu interface (or so I've been told, I haven't used the new one just yet).
Old 09-14-2005, 03:18 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks mate...
Yeah I saw the S3 version...with a 9.5 rating on the old version? hmmmm I'm now thinking of selling my Much-More Cell Master charger...

Last edited by Edgarski; 09-14-2005 at 03:51 AM.
Edgarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Just got one of the old versions last week and is very happy so far. Only drama I have is it can't charge dead shorted packs. I did however start using the cellmaster for 2-3 minutes and once the voltage is back to norm I then transfer it back to the APS. Might keep it as I have been hearing alot of terrible stuff about the new Integy Charger. that I really wanted.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoy25
Just got one of the old versions last week and is very happy so far. Only drama I have is it can't charge dead shorted packs. I did however start using the cellmaster for 2-3 minutes and once the voltage is back to norm I then transfer it back to the APS. Might keep it as I have been hearing alot of terrible stuff about the new Integy Charger. that I really wanted.
It can charge d/s packs with no problem. Sometimes you need to "jump" the pack with the motor feature. I put it on motor test for 2 or 3 seconds, just till the amps start to rise on the display, then cancel and go charge with the long lockout. It charges better then my turbo gfx in my optinion. Give it a shot.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracingkid
It can charge d/s packs with no problem. Sometimes you need to "jump" the pack with the motor feature. I put it on motor test for 2 or 3 seconds, just till the amps start to rise on the display, then cancel and go charge with the long lockout. It charges better then my turbo gfx in my optinion. Give it a shot.

Now thats a good idea. How many volts do you set it at? (7.2 volts)
Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Sushi Man

how much does the dyno cost?, is it a good charger?
Sushi Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:53 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've got two, and love them both. If I'm not running two classes (and charging two batteries), using one as a dyno and the other for charging is great.

I used the same trick when it wouldn't charge my dead shorted packs, and it worked just fine. I think I set it to 5V, and it ran for like 5 seconds before the charger kicked off thinking there was a bad connection. That was enough to get it going. I've also noticed that letting the packs sit for a few minutes after you remove the DS will allow them to charge.

The dyno is included. It's not fancy like some of these guys are using, but it's a good indication of how your motor is affected when you make changes, like cutting the comm or changing the brushes. It's got a nifty little aluminum motor stand that plugs into the same slot as the temp sensor, and then a reflector you put on the motor shaft that allows it to track motor RPM's. There's some memory slots where you can save motor data too, which is nice for before/after comparisons.

The biggest complaint people have is the buttons tend to be a little stiff. They loosen up over time, but I still end up using the edge of my finger, or my nail to press them most of the time. No big deal. Sticking a motor tube (the plastic containers people use to hold them) underneath the charger puts it at a nice viewing angle so you can see the screen well.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

My dyno charge just came back with an S3 software upgrade. I'm still playing around with it but I found a new feature that wasn't documented in the instructions regarding charging dead-shorted batteries.

Here's the trick to charging dead-shorted batteries on the Dyno-Charge S3!
When you try to charge a dead-shorted battery, it will display a bad connection warning if the voltage isn't high enough to be detected as a battery (I assume this is a safe guard if you have the charger connected to a motor or something other than a battery). To override the fail safe warning, all you have to do is press and hold the ENT button for approximately 5 seconds and it will start charging, no more needing to use the motor run mode to kick start a dead-shorted battery. This is a new hidden feature that I found only in the new S3 software, it's not documented so use at your own risk, just thought it might be helpful to you guys.
RC Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:31 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How much does the upgrade cost? Did it add anything other than step charging?

It's pretty common for electronics in other segments to be user upgradable by flashing memory on a device with a new image. I realize this would remove a revenue stream, but it's almost come to be expected in the computing world. Are there people making chargers that can be flashed by the user to upgrade them?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

I don't quite remember exactly how much it cost to upgrade as I had my LHS send it in, but I think it was around $50 or something...

Some of the new features that I found was that the menus now scroll continuously so you navigate quicker. New 3 stage charge mode... You still have the normal charge mode with added capacity limit, and you can also change the charge settings while it's charging, eg amps, temperature, delta peak, capacity limit. View max rpm and view max amp are now within a single menu so you can switch between max rpm and max amp by just pressing ENT in the View Motor Data menu (much quicker in checking both max rpm and max amp) There's also the hidden feature that I found for charging dead shorted battery by overriding the warning. There's probably more features but these are the ones that I have seen so far.
RC Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #12
Tech Champion

I actually open the unit last night to transfer the charging cable in the front and found that the buttons are soft as any other charger in the market but is the plastic design cover that is a bit thick which creates the problem. I'll try tonight charging my dead shorted packs and see if that works on the old version as well.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yea, it is the label, what you can do is take an exact anc cut around the line on the lower half, its easy to push then, but be VERY careful not to go to far!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #14
Tech Master

i would love to sell mine asap. i just don't like it and now have teo much more chargers. make offer [email protected] it is not s3
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote