R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Whats a good steering servo

Looking to upgrade my tc4 stock servo can anyone tell me a good servo brand/model? looking to spend about 50-70 bucks.
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

I guess you can try the savox 1251mg for $65, but if you want the absolute fastest(twice as fast), then you can get the Protek 160SS for $109.99...

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-04-2014 at 06:13 PM.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Savox 1251mg is good, Futaba S9551 is better
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Spektrum S6070 fall into your price range.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Or the New Futaba S9570. $75 from RC Mushroom.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the Savox 1251MG in my 17.5 car but decided to go on the cheaper end of the scale and put a Trackstar TS-915 in my CTA car and I honestly think it's better than the Savox, and cheaper to boot. The specs are certainly better than the Savox. Another club racer has used his TS-915 and bagged the heck out of it with no issues at all.
VBC D09 Dynamics Edition
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

http://www.amain.com/Xpert-3000-Seri...-Servo/p276597

Fantastic servos. I have the all aluminum version in my mod car, and while not quite as smooth as a Futaba BLS551, it's very much worth the price. Blows my Savox 1251 outta the water.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Tech Elite

My philosophy is that servos are long term service items hence I buy the best regardless of price. The effect after many years is that I still have the first good servos I bought nearly 20 years ago. I think they paid for themselves by now many times over and have never had a servo fail. The downside is investment is high. Shop wisely though and these days you can get almost anything for somewhere between 3/4 and 2/3 of the price of your lhs. 20 years ago there was no such option.

The new Futaba doesn't show much improvement over the old tried and tested BLS 551 and the plastic gears are in my opinion an absolute no-no in steering servos. That's just asking for trouble (and often difficult to track down trouble - issues with centering, neutral position, etc). And I don't see any benefit in having lower torque either. Keep in mind your radio puts out 6V for the servo so all other figures are irrelevant, unless you have some other system that delivers battery voltage directly to the servo. For the same price you can have the BLS551 if your money doesn't allow for better.

One rule of thumb, don't trade torque for speed. The speed might be quoted there and under some conditions may be real, but how often is that going to be the case in your car? And if the servo has to work under effort (say the upper end of its torque range), you can bet your new servo on a dime the speed is not going to be there either. There are some such servos with two specs brought about by even some major manufacturers (like JR, KO, etc) and they label one servo T (for torque) and another one S for speed. If you look at the torque vs speed you'll see the tradeoff. My advice is get the higher torque servo. The fast servos are mostly designed for aircraft (say gyro driven) and they don't have the same effort to deliver, plus they act against mediums that allow some flexibility (like air, maybe water) as opposed to hard grip that can change instantly (say turning wheels around in a chicane) where there is no give, and the entire effort goes in the servo directly and instantly (and saver - that has a role to play as well, but that's another discussion).

And lastly, anything that reacts at .1 sec is fast enough. If you don't believe that, try to measure your own reaction time and see what is the ratio:

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Mine is about .3sec so my servos are generally speaking three times faster (or more) than I am.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
http://www.amain.com/Xpert-3000-Seri...-Servo/p276597

Fantastic servos. I have the all aluminum version in my mod car, and while not quite as smooth as a Futaba BLS551, it's very much worth the price. Blows my Savox 1251 outta the water.
I have the same all aluminum one you are referring to, currently in my 17.5 TC. Very happy with it. I will be replacing steering servos in my other cars with these

I was using savox 1251MG for a couple of years, but then started to experience some re-centering issues. I also still use Futaba and Spektrum servos in some of my cars. The futaba servos are extremely smooth and precise, but they aren't very strong or quick. I suspect the Spektrum servos are just rebranded Savox (they seem to have identical specs)

The one bert posted looks good. I'd like to try one out.

niznai, with response speed in radios and transit speed of servos, human reaction time is irrelevant. It's about having the car do what you tell it to, when you tell it to do it. Minimizing input lag make you feel far more connected to the car. You aren't so much reacting to what the car is doing as you are telling the car what to do.

Last edited by locked; 10-05-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
Tech Master

hit the back button and double posted. :P
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Spectrum 6070.

Super fast, and has decent torque, also it has Ti gears for extra durability. I own 4 and love them all. SC-10, B44, FF-03, TB-03. Awesome for the price, I think they go for about 70.

Good Luck!

OGRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am going to research all answers and figure out which is best for me. Thank you
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post

[...]

niznai, with response speed in radios and transit speed of servos, human reaction time is irrelevant. It's about having the car do what you tell it to, when you tell it to do it. Minimizing input lag make you feel far more connected to the car. You aren't so much reacting to what the car is doing as you are telling the car what to do.
True. But then the servo speed doesn't count (as long as you're in the ballpark). I challenge anyone to prove they can tell the difference between a .06 servo and a .1s.

There's also the reverse, when you have to fight some unforeseen situation, and that's when your reaction time will kill you, not the servo.

But a servo with low torque will feel lazy, simply because it won't be able to do what you ask of it as quickly (or at all). Remember your servo is going to have to fight huge forces and if it can't, it just won't do it.

I realise this is outside the OP price range, but this is (amongst others) what I use (and is a good benchmark):

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/jr/ds8915

Also, a weak servo is going to struggle in long high speed sweepers especially if they're cambered. The one above, not so much.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 10-05-2014 at 12:19 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
Suspended

Smile

I think you have to add the servo's quickness(0.1sec) to the human reaction time(0.3sec), the radio transit time(0.1sec), the tire slip time(0.1sec), you can see that it does not take much to have your car hitting walls: that's 0.7 sec total lag, which can be cut by more than 3/4 with the right equipment... All of you have seen my videos with a futaba 0.10sec/111oz torque servo and FM radio... I've upgrade to a 0.05sec/125oz torque servo and Spektrum Radio, and will never look back.....lol..... 0.06 sec/120oz+ torque is what you should get !!!
The Protek 160SS is the only low profile servo that fits the bill, and can be used with 2S lipo packs(0.04sec/152oz torque) !!!!!

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-05-2014 at 05:06 PM.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
Tech Master

I can tell the difference on track between a 0.07s servo and 0.10s. I would not use anything slower than 0.10s.

Anything with 6kg/110oz or more torque is plenty.

Futaba S9550 or S9551 are pretty much the best low profile servos on the market for for TC.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote