R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #106
Tech Fanatic

Let me get this straight. You say that you are getting 1.2-1.6 internal resistance on the GP cell? Also, you claim that after 2 runs you lose 40-50 seconds of run time on the IB cell? Is there anyone else out there that can help substantiate these claims? If this was the case, I think we would have a lot of unhappy customers right now.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:02 PM   #107
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Jack R - exactly my point earlier. There is no way that you will get 1.2-1.6 IR from a GP cell (or any cell). This starts to shoot his arguments in the foot straight away. My team drivers have been punishing IB3800 cells in Modified since they were first released (we got one of the very first batches) and have seen no sudden drop off in performance. This is with drivers running their two or three times a week.
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:20 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
IB and GP packs are available for all so maybe racers should try and get one pack of each and figure out what works best for them.
I agree with you. This thread is going nowhere. Everyone have their strong opinions. Let races decide which one is best for them. This will make RC more colorful, not only one brand dominating (if not monopoly) the field like previously.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:17 PM   #109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007

I think that most are missing the point of this thread. It's to show the difference of the cells.....not to bash one or the other. What we all forget is that we are people playing with toy cars.

We have people saying that IB's are better and others saying GP's are better.

What I do care about is that I'm going to spend money and I want to know what cells perform better on the bench.....a constant 30 or 35 amp draw is harder on cells than us running them in the car (deoending on the racing application). If the IB's are at a higher voltage at a certain time then I would think they are better for stock and so on. And if GP's have a lower or higher voltage at this certain time in a discharge curve then they must be better for mod and so on again.

I think Crimson Eagle just pointed out some interesting FACTS and not just some bench testing....

If the battery matchers want to talk about bench testing is not as good as track testing then they need to look at how they are matching packs. If I'm not mistaken every battery matcher that uses CE matchers are cycling cells to get there numbers and the numbers come from a linear charge and a constant 30 or 35 amp discharge....I think they are bench testing, correct? I think it's crazy to come on this thread to say bench testing is not valid......All battery matchers do is bench test. I don't see simulated race numbers with amp draw numbers that can fluctuate to simulate racing conditions from battery matchers.

So I don't want to hear the track testing is better because I bet the matchers keep the better cells (from bench testing) for their team drivers, huh? Those numbers are from bench testing...............
Old 09-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #110
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Let's see what happens in Vegas
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #111
Tech Regular

I just bought a new Smc IB3600 from a local hobby shop and cycled it on my gfx Monday, then I let it rest a day then ran it Wednesday at a club race and it felt bad, I found out that it was one of the first IB3600 cells out and that maybe why its weak, but I ran a friends smc IB3800 and it was unbeleivable. I will definatly be running IB 3800's this winter i just gotta be careful not to buy the older cells
protouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #112
Tech Addict

has anyone tried matching the elite 3600 cells. They are for sale at www.cheapbatterypacks.com as singular cells

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:46 AM   #113
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Because Team Orion is offering IB3800s?

So Peak/Orion feels that GP3700s run better on the track but they will offer IB3800s ? Normally companies offer what they use and feel is the best.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:21 AM   #114
Tech Regular

Quote:
So Peak/Orion feels that GP3700s run better on the track but they will offer IB3800s ? Normally companies offer what they use and feel is the best.
And don't forget the bottom line PROFIT, i think that is the biggest reason they start selling other brands.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #115
Tech Champion

Quote:
That's not always true Danny. You know that as much as anyone else. There is a lot of politics involved. You have to stay on good terms with all the battery manufacturers so you have access to future cells.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #116
Tech Elite

Quote:
Normally companies offer what they use and feel is the best.
Smart companies sell what they think is the best for their customers. Smarter companies also sell what their customers want to buy.

picco007 - I think you misunderstand bench testing and its relationship to performance.

Bench testing is a perfect way to detemine the quality of any given cell in a group of any given brand of cells. But when you start comparing different brands and their discharge numbers, they do not always relate.

For instance, if you take 6 packs of X BRAND assembled with identical cells, they will all run about the same. Now take a pack of a Y BRAND cells with the same cell numbers as what is in the X BRAND packs, they will not necessarily run the same.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:17 AM   #117
Suspended

Y-BRAND sucks. Those guys are crooks and liars.

McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #118
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=Rick Hohwart]Smart companies sell what they think is the best for their customers. Smarter companies also sell what their customers want to buy.

Usually that would be the best performing cell at any given time. It would be too damaging to a company's reputation to promote a cell based on price or other criteria not exclusively linked to performance. To convince the consumer to try a new cell that must compete against an established brand is a daunting task. However, if we feel that the new cell is a legitimate contender then we owe it to our customers to inform them of our testing. My sole reason for getting involved in this discussion is not to promote our product, but to DEFEND our reputation and the reputation of the brand we sell against what I perceive as a campaign of misinformation. I applaud the quantitative testing results above and the racer feedback both positive and negative. In the end, the customer will choose what they feel is best (as you said), just so they are not fed misleading information on these forums.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:05 AM   #119
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Post I'll test them!

I am associated with a hobby shop in Texas that does not know which way to go with our batteries.
I have a west mountain radio cycle system, CE GFX Charger, a Spintech & a trinity discharger.
I have 8 brand new IB3800 packs from two different unnamed matchers.
I have 8 brand new IB3800 packs from two more.
We run a series race with both stock & mod sedan.
We run the exact same motors and will switch motors between the cars.
I will log run times of the race and will not allow any gearing changes between these 4 cars.
I will then allow the batteries to be discharged the same way during a given week.

Week 1 = GFX @ 30 amps (Graphed on the computer)
Week 2 = Spintech
Week 3 = Trinity
Week 4 = Westmountain single cell discharge (graphed on the computer)
Week 5 = we will determine by poll your preferred method.
You guys will get weekly results.

The numbers don't matter much except for comparison and consistancy in regards to this discussion.

Let me know your thoughts. We begin Sunday.
TEX

Maybe I'll finally get some good packs now.
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #120
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What battery bars fit the best on the 3700's?
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote