R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2005, 09:30 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I'm sure that step charging will work o.k. but I can't seem to undertand why it would be better than linear charge. We have good results with a normal linear charge.

good to hear since i still use linear charge...
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:38 AM   #32
Tech Regular

would also be good if certain matchers got there facts straight before telling the public to deadshort for stock there are pleanty of 330 10.5 4.74 pack around now !
pony klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #33
Tech Adept

Hi guys,

maybe you guys treat your IB's in the right way, and we treat the GP's better
Well Jack, I can live with your sense of humour, no problem, everybody has to promote what they are selling, but you have to asume, that you guys are not the only ones who know how to treat cells

Also the stupid europeans know what do....

I still wonder, why IB did not win the LRP Masters, Euros or any other major race here in europe, until the cell came out.....
See ya guys and have fun at the Vegas race!
Markus
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

From my testing of the IB3800 and GP3700s I would not say that one is better than the other but that they provide different characterisics and are a better fit for different situations.

The IB3800s come off the matchers with slightly lower IR and voltage and signifigantly longer run time compared to the GP3700s. On the track the GPs have a morem linear performance curve and feel a bit weaker @ the start of the run but stonger towards the end in both stock and 19T sedan racing. The IB3800s real benifit is in their increased run time and they truly shine in mod and 8min 12th scale racing giving alowing you to push hard longer or in some cases even run more motor.

To sumorize I would say for stock or 19T the GPs have a slight edge but in MOD and 12th scale the IBs win hands down.

Mark

BTW on the Promatch site they state their reason for halting their IB matching as an abnormaly high defect rate and NOT a performance problem.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:04 AM   #35
Tech Adept

He Mark,
thats a pretty honest statement dude....
The only difference to our experience is, that you say, the the IB has smaller IR and lower voltage, on our machine the number tell something different.
Also you are right, if you say IB have more runtime, but only for one run!!!!
Take care,
Markus
Old 09-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #36
Tech Adept

So, Promatch has a high defective rate
Thats what I am saying, IB needs totally different matching and charging method, if you do not want to throw away 50 cells from 400!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:40 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

The misinformation and utter nonsense that I see on here is staggering. Give Pro-Match a call and see what he says about the cell. As to why the 3800 has not won in Europe... is it even legal? Contrary to what you claim, we get many competitive runs on the IB cell without any runtime loss. Why would people buy them if they crapped out in one run? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and casts a long shadow of doubt on the rest of your claims.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:19 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I bought promatch 3800s for mod and have been verry happy with them. On the track I am seeming still seeing an extra 30secs or so runtime compared to 3700s. The word I got when I inquired as to why they were no longer doing them was that they were seeing a higher than expected # of cells venting on the matchers and/or during the first few cycles done by their customers. None my mine vented and they all still perform like new but I have seen several other 3800 packs in the area that have vented during early cycles from a variety of matchers and with the exception of the promatch packs the racers were efectivly told to deal with it. Now one could argue that PMs IB3800 problems were to do an overly agressive matching process but it seems to me that matching @ a higher discharge rate, charge rate, peak detect and the stonger zapping done by many of the dealers still selling IBs would yeild even more defects. Regardless of why they stopped matching them my PM IB3800 are by far the best MOD packs I have and better then any GP3700 I have used including those matched by PM. Perhaps when brushless starts to catch on the added runtime of the IBs will loose its advantage over the GPs durability and higher 5min voltage.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:28 AM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

By my forgetting my 12th scale packs last SUnday-I was able to borrow 3 packs of GP3700 from a friend to run. The previous practice day and race days I had been running IB's. My IB's are very good and the GP37's were also stellar numbers and quite new as well.

Here is one differnce that backs up what mtveten just said. The GP's run very linear and they run well for the full 8 minutes. They start strong and finish strong. The IB's by comparison start off with a big bang and as anyone who races seriousely knows-up front rip means setting a blistering pace up front. When the IB tapers it does NOT run flat as others try to imply that it does. IT runs strong at end of run.

If you can can go 11.0 for 5 laps with an IB, but only 11.3 with a GP-but finish the same after 8 minutes-the 2 or 3 seconds you gain up front pays off at end of run in a big way.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To answer the question that started this thread...The GP3700 is the best cell right now.

It took GP 2 years to get good at making R/C batts. The IB discharge curve problem is a big deal. I am sure IB will get their cells figured out but they just aren't there yet.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #41
Company Representative

Some may think what I say is just to promote the IB cells but i'm 100% believer in the IB cells and this is why we promote them.

Being IB agent for North America we work closely with them and get to give them test reports and feedback. IB is really looking to make the best possible cell and listens to what its customers are saying. The first couple of batches did have a percentage of cells that would vent. When we would retest the vented cells they showed the same specs as others so performance wasn't an issue. We have said it all along use a lower peak detect because these cells are made and react differently than GP cells.

The last 4-5 batches have had no real issues and the yield of high voltage cells is getting better and better. When we first started doing these cells they were 1.16-1.17 now they are 1.17-1.18 with more 1.18 than 1.17.

ProMatch has great customer service just like we do and they care about what they sell. We replaced there vented cells and we have kept contact with them by offering them the latest samples. They have regained confidence in IB and have placed orders for IB cells. So expect IB cells matched by Promatch real soon.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #42
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Adrian, have you tried the latest cells? I see ProMatch also seems high on the latest cells, according to their website.... so thats two top matchers. Oh... ProMatch has the new IB3800's available now.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #43
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Curtis Schlaht

Being that Intellect is a relative newcomer to our R/C battery market they’re still making minor changes to the cells so that they will best suite our high stress environment. Every batch of IB cells we receive is better than the last, sporting higher runtime, higher voltage, lower AIR #’s, with less defective cells….At this point in time they are the best batteries available, and will only continue to get better.
These newest generation cells don’t even compare to that of the originals released last year. I believe too many people get on here and posting their opinion about the older versions when in doubt they haven’t tested the latest cells available, bashing IB cells saying they are junk.
We stand by our products, as does SMC. If you are not happy with the batteries, or are experiencing problems contact us and we will resolve the issue at hand.
With so many manufactures switching form GP’s to IB’s this should be reason enough to try these cells. After all, were in the business of selling product to the racers, this means selling the best and only the best available on the market.

Curtis Schlaht,
DC Motorsports
Curtis Schlaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Curtis Schlaht

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
To answer the question that started this thread...The GP3700 is the best cell right now.

It took GP 2 years to get good at making R/C batts. The IB discharge curve problem is a big deal. I am sure IB will get their cells figured out but they just aren't there yet.

I’m not sure where you come up with all this nonsense from Adrian, but I will gladly invite you to put your (or whoever’s) money where your mouth is. Come see me in Vegas and I’ll give you about 7.25 reasons why IB’s are better than GP’s….

Curtis
Curtis Schlaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #45
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM

Adrian I find it strange that you say these things. I have also seen some of your posts which imply that were forcing our racers to use IB cells. If you go to Vegas ask Ralph Burch, Josh Cyrul, Paul Lemieux , Andreas Myrberg , Joel Myrberg and Viktor Wlick if we force them to run IB cells.

Bottom line is that the IB3800 is a better race cell. Put it in the proper car with the right motor setup and it will be faster. With the speeds of todays cars maybe the extra power of the IB cells isn't needed in fact most of our racers will be probably using 8turns instead of 7 turns which is what they would use with GP cells.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote