HPI HB PRO 5

Old 10-07-2014, 02:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Japan news is a belts car !
Old 10-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Well i guess they expect to sell kits by the 10's. Hope they can keep up parts support for that many.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I for one am glad it might be a belt car. Never been a fan of shafts. I've never seen a shaft car run as quiet as a belt car. I don't understand this desire for a shaft car.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpidarX
I for one am glad it might be a belt car. Never been a fan of shafts. I've never seen a shaft car run as quiet as a belt car. I don't understand this desire for a shaft car.
because its different - and would be cool to have a top contender produce one that might be able to hang with the top belt cars...

other then that - I dunno...

I'd rather see a known working configuration improved rather then re-inventing the wheel
Old 10-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

I don't understand this desire for a shaft car.
More "punch" coming onto the throttle, especially coming out of turns. My only concern is parts, HPI/HB does not have a good track record recently, IME.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

You dont need "low friction" belts with a shaft drive. Its called bearings... its always low friction
Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor
You dont need "low friction" belts with a shaft drive. Its called bearings... its always low friction
The only parts the belt touches are the pulleys which is where the friction is. Don't shaft cars have input gears? There's your friction.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

There is a massive amount of surface area that belts contact the pully, at least 50% of the circumfrance. Ring and pinion have maybe 1/10 the contact area of a belt system. Also there is no tension to have to set and get wrong. Too tight and create drag on the system and strain the motor. Too loose and you waste power on slack in the system and loose some braking ability.

Of course belts have a good system right now, they have had top priority in R&D for almost a decade until the Awesomatix.

Then there is the "if its not broke dont fix it" argument. That argument is just plain lazy. If that were the case we would all still be running the same design of chassis from 15 years ago.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm impressed with how eager people are to here about the car, and find it curious its not being called the new tcxx. The emphasis on the Pro, being the fifth instalment to me is more exciting as I think a lot of us ran the old RS4 Pro and Pro 2 (and still do)

Any idea if Andy Moore will be running the new chassis this weekend at the worlds?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

As far as the tension on belts go the same can be said for the ring and pinion. Too tight of a gear mesh and your putting strain on the system. Too loose and your tearing the teeth up.

I'm going to assume that r&d get a lot of their ideas from the pro drivers their company use who are actually out their testing the stuff. So if they want belts then I want belts too.

It would be interesting if they made two cars. One belt and one shaft to please everyone. I remember when the pro3 was out Hara had a specially made shaft version he used for some practices but always went back to the belt for mains.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In the case of light crashes, does a belt system not help to absorb some of the impact being transferred to the spur and pinion (due to some slack in the belts)? Whereas with a shaft drive, you increase the chance of stripping gears in a crash?

Originally Posted by theproffesor
There is a massive amount of surface area that belts contact the pully, at least 50% of the circumfrance. Ring and pinion have maybe 1/10 the contact area of a belt system. Also there is no tension to have to set and get wrong. Too tight and create drag on the system and strain the motor. Too loose and you waste power on slack in the system and loose some braking ability.

Of course belts have a good system right now, they have had top priority in R&D for almost a decade until the Awesomatix.

Then there is the "if its not broke dont fix it" argument. That argument is just plain lazy. If that were the case we would all still be running the same design of chassis from 15 years ago.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

In the case of light crashes, does a belt system not help to absorb some of the impact being transferred to the spur and pinion (due to some slack in the belts)? Whereas with a shaft drive, you increase the chance of stripping gears in a crash?
+1
I remember stripping dozens of conical gears in my Pro 4. Specially when I put the spool in the front of the car.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

The keyword is here is stability, and high power + shaft does not get you that compared to belt.

In terms of surface area, belts actually achieve less friction than belt at higher speeds. The shaft excels at low speed acceleration thus the success of the A700 in stock classes.

They both have their pros/cons, but it really depends on what HPI/HB is trying to appease: stock or mod?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

2uzferunner03; I remember when the pro3 was out Hara had a specially made shaft version he used for some practices but always went back to the belt for mains.
Actually that prototype probably ended up being the pro4. That's when I got out of rc so I'm not sure.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The pro4 had notoriously easy to strip gears. Didn't need a hard crash to strip them. I wouldn't use the pro4 as an example of shaft drivetrain durability. Take a look a the awesomatix gears, I doubt you could strip the ring and pinion on that car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.