R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Considering Drift Car: HPI Sprint Flux- TC4 -Associated Sciont

Have a credit at Tower so looking to get a inexpensive 1/10 scale drifter.

Considering a HPI Sprint Flux 2 RTR, Associated Scion or TC4

I like the idea of having a TC4 to run as a VTA car possibly one day but ultimately the car would be drift specific.

Not looking to make major upgrades (tires, wheels and bodies) and maybe some light parts

Timezone I & II | RoseCityScaleRacing | Premier RC Raceway
Photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photocycler View Post
Have a credit at Tower so looking to get a inexpensive 1/10 scale drifter.

Considering a HPI Sprint Flux 2 RTR, Associated Scion or TC4

I like the idea of having a TC4 to run as a VTA car possibly one day but ultimately the car would be drift specific.

Not looking to make major upgrades (tires, wheels and bodies) and maybe some light parts
I ran both tc4 and sprint 2 in vintage classes here in az we run them a little different than everyone else. i think the sprint 2 is near perfect car for beginners at our track, can run competitively in a few different classes. box stock with a upgrade to a brushless system can run a few more. I plan to pick up a new one myself for drift and vintage oval
tbamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

The Sprint2 is great bang4buck, however some problems are there. The battery slot is made for stick packs, so square Lipos will eat the belt. Or vice versa. BUT, there is a really sexy exotek conversion.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Tech Master

I would run the hpi sprint flux 2 and add drift tires if that matters
Old 10-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Except for the belt rubbing, the sprint 2 is a great entry chassis.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Is it a chassis conversion or battery mount? I don't want to spend a bunch of money if I don't have to
Old 10-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Is it a chassis conversion or battery mount? I don't want to spend a bunch of money if I don't have to
The exotek kit is a full chassis carbon fibre and alu conversion. Not at all required, just a really nice kit.

The belt tugging can be prevented by buying slim lipo packs.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Given the support factor,

-HPI will have more tuning options as far as CS and other things that would make it "More Ideal" for Drifting.
-The TC4, having had one as a drifter did Okay, but for CS or any other significant changes that would improve it as a drifter, required a LOT of changes, and to me it wasn't worth the "1-off" hassle to create an build parts.
(My friend has a very competitive TC4 drift car that has extensive modifications to fit CS gears and diff in the rear to make it work. Also, its taking its toll on CV axles. unless you're up for the challenge...)

-IF you like the VTA and occasional Drift, then the TC4, IMO is the better option. IF VTA is going to be 2ndry, I would say, HPI.

MOmo
"Im not a racer, but I play one on the Internet"
MOmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOmo View Post
Given the support factor,

-HPI will have more tuning options as far as CS and other things that would make it "More Ideal" for Drifting.
-The TC4, having had one as a drifter did Okay, but for CS or any other significant changes that would improve it as a drifter, required a LOT of changes, and to me it wasn't worth the "1-off" hassle to create an build parts.
(My friend has a very competitive TC4 drift car that has extensive modifications to fit CS gears and diff in the rear to make it work. Also, its taking its toll on CV axles. unless you're up for the challenge...)

-IF you like the VTA and occasional Drift, then the TC4, IMO is the better option. IF VTA is going to be 2ndry, I would say, HPI.

MOmo
Amen.
The TC4 is an O-K drifter.
The Sprint2 is an O-K VTA-tourer
Old 10-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Tech Master

Ok cool, so if I go with the flux, anything else to consider getting aside from drift tires? Do you know if i run 0 offset wheels in front and 6mm in back and if I have to stick with HPI wheels?

Timezone I & II | RoseCityScaleRacing | Premier RC Raceway
Old 10-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Ok cool, so if I go with the flux, anything else to consider getting aside from drift tires? Do you know if i run 0 offset wheels in front and 6mm in back and if I have to stick with HPI wheels?
Choose offset based on your body. Narrow Tamiya bodies works well with 0-3mm, yokomo and other 190-195mm bodies works well with 3-4-6mm offset, and wider 200mm bodies or bodies with big fender flares, 7-8-9-12mm offset.

HPI T-drift is a good allround tire. MST (maxspeedtechnology) makes great indoor tires with MST CS-R Hardest as my fav. RC-art Derive RT01h Carpet is my all time favourite carpet tire.