Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tire options for HPI RTR kit #108220 Porsche RSR

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tire options for HPI RTR kit #108220 Porsche RSR

I picked up the HPI 108220 RTR kit, Porsche RSR GT3.

I was hoping someone could offer up tires options for this car. It comes with 31mm front wheels and 34mm rear wheels. It looks like HPI only has one tire option for this car. I found some Tamiya slicks on eBay but it's tough to find the width on those tires.

Any suggestions? This is for grip, not drifting. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Alright, so I've given up on trying to find tires for these wheels. Plan B is to just buy some basic 26mm wheels and tires. I would rather buy some wheels I like and just get some good grip tires that I can buy at a decent price and change out when they wear out. Problem is I can't seem to figure out the best tire option that offers good grip at a decent price and is widely available. The market is flooded with drift tires, but not tons of grip options.

Any suggestions on good grip tires that will wear well, with better than average grip? Don't need race tires, and don't really want to pay those prices. I don't care if they're slicks or treaded so long as they grip well. I'd really like to see if I can find a good tire at around $15 a set of 4. Is that realistic? Can someone point me to some tires? It's tough to tell which ones are available since so many have been discontinued and others don't specify their compound. Can't really gauge which ones fit what I'm after.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

10th scale rims come in several sizes and the size used most often for racing is 24mm. There are also 26mm wide rims and even larger, but these are not used for competitive sedan racing.

HPI sells loads of rims and tires and you just need to plow through their list to find something to suit. Rims come in the various widths as mentioned, but also come in different offsets that allow you to alter the track width. These offset rims can help make tires fit better on wider bodies.

I think you'd be lucky to find a set of 4 rims for $15 let alone a complete set of four tires and rims. If you want dirt cheap, there are sets of tires listed on eBay from overseas companies that might work for you.

Tire wear and grip depends on where you run and what the surface is like. Asphalt varies from location to location and there are so many variables that giving specific advice can be tough.

I have used the HPI 26mm rims and the HPI X-Pattern tires with excellent results. They sell the rubber in belted or non-belted versions and both are great. They will wear, but they do work in most conditions.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply... sorry I should have said "set of 4 tires for $15", not wheels and tires.

Strange thing about the HPI x-pattern tires is the only compound that is available still appears to be for drifting. Those were the ones I was most interested in, but I thought the grip versions were discontinued. I've looked for all of the HPI part numbers on retailer sites to try and find the non-drift tires and can't find most of them. Would you have the part number for the x-pattern tires you've used?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

The 26mm X-Pattern radials are part HPI4490

The 26mm X-Pattern belted radials are HPI4495

Both use what HPI calls the Pro Compound.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ludachris
Thanks for the reply... sorry I should have said "set of 4 tires for $15", not wheels and tires.

Strange thing about the HPI x-pattern tires is the only compound that is available still appears to be for drifting. Those were the ones I was most interested in, but I thought the grip versions were discontinued. I've looked for all of the HPI part numbers on retailer sites to try and find the non-drift tires and can't find most of them. Would you have the part number for the x-pattern tires you've used?
"D" compound isn't a drift tire compound, though I can see why you might think it would be. It's just a longer lasting rubber. It's the same compound that the VTA spec tires are made of. VTA tires come in 26mm wide for the front and 31mm for the rear, by the way. 34mm wide is a very uncommon size. Not likely to find much choice there. You'll probably need to get some offset rims if you want to use that body and have it still look fairly scale.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by locked
"D" compound isn't a drift tire compound, though I can see why you might think it would be. It's just a longer lasting rubber. It's the same compound that the VTA spec tires are made of. VTA tires come in 26mm wide for the front and 31mm for the rear, by the way. 34mm wide is a very uncommon size. Not likely to find much choice there. You'll probably need to get some offset rims if you want to use that body and have it still look fairly scale.
Ha, the guy at the local hobby shop said they were drift tires, hence the "d" compound. That's why I didn't consider anything with "d" compound - was given bad info. I'm looking at some 26mm HPI wheels with 9mm offset to try and keep this body and not have it look ridiculous. Are there hex spacers available for the Sprint 2 so I can space out the back a little more?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveM
The 26mm X-Pattern radials are part HPI4490

The 26mm X-Pattern belted radials are HPI4495

Both use what HPI calls the Pro Compound.
Yeah, those are the ones I had searched online for but couldn't find many retailers for them. The D compound version is pretty easy to find.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

By the way, one of the guys here bought some Traxxas 4873 premounted slicks on chrome mesh wheels and those tires are VERY grippy. But I can't find the tires separate from the wheels. Would love to buy those tires by themselves and put them on wheels I like. I don't want to have to buy premounted tires with wheels every single time for $30.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Rookie

I guess if I can just find some hex spacers for the rear, roughly 4mm, I'd be good with the 9mm offset wheels from HPI. Just can't find any that say they're compatible with the Sprint 2.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

By the way, one of the guys here bought some Traxxas 4873 premounted slicks on chrome mesh wheels and those tires are VERY grippy. But I can't find the tires separate from the wheels. Would love to buy those tires by themselves and put them on wheels I like. I don't want to have to buy premounted tires with wheels every single time for $30.
You have to glue the rubber tires to the rims anyway, so it's not like you can remove worn rubber and replace. $30 for a set of pre-mounted and glued sedan tires is a good price.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

I guess if I can just find some hex spacers for the rear, roughly 4mm, I'd be good with the 9mm offset wheels from HPI. Just can't find any that say they're compatible with the Sprint 2.
Washers from Home Depot
Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveM
You have to glue the rubber tires to the rims anyway, so it's not like you can remove worn rubber and replace. $30 for a set of pre-mounted and glued sedan tires is a good price.
So tearing the worn tires off and cleaning up the wheel isn't an option? You have to replace the wheels every time the tires wear out? Ouch. For some reason I figured you could just remove tires and glue new ones on.