Wiki Posts
Search

Tire insert and car weight question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:45 AM
Tech Regular

Default Tire insert and car weight question

Hi,

I race my Tamiya TT-01 in the Dutch Tamiya Cup. We all use the 51023 tires, as the only other ones allowed are the slicks that come with the kits and no additives or heating is allowed. When I build the car a long time ago, NiCAD batteries, big servo, etc, it weighed 1.600 grams. Now I have everything lightened and upgraded, I am down to 1.300 grams. That is nice! However, no weight on the front wheels means less grip turning in at speed. Now I can easilly add weight, but that is not the way to go I think. I have softened the suspension all around, now I am looking at the standard inserts that come with the 51023 tires. They are probably designed for the original car weight of about 1,5 - 1,6 kg. Would it make sense to look for softer inserts, and what is available from Tamiya? I cannot find anything that makes sense. It needs to be Tamiya to be legal in the Cup.

Any advise is appreciated,
Cheers,

Hugo