Wiki Posts
Search

Attention F1 Masters

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Attention F1 Masters

I have done a few laps the other day and I am having traction issues that are above my understanding......first off the car is a Tamiya F104 Pro. With all of the aluminum upgrades available from Tamiya. It has the softest T-bar as loose as it can be, friction plate is almost loosened off as much as possible, and the diff is super loose. Battery is a shorty as far back as possible, Tekin RS between the LiPo and servo with the receiver on the top deck behind the servo. First 20 laps were with med Tamiya front and soft Tamiya rear.....liquid gravity sauce on the rears and nothing on the front, my lap times were low 14 sec. I switched to Pit Shimitsu 571/572 saucing the rear only again and ran another 20 ....my lap times dropped almost 2 seconds to around high 15s/low16s. Feeling that this couldn't be true I ran the same test again but had someone else drive the car as I thought it may be my crappy driving....and here are the results.....Tamiya med/soft 12.5 sec average and with the Pit Shimitsu 571/572 14 sec average, also we noticed that the Tamiya tires felt more consistent and predictable, where as the Pits felt sketchy and super loose in the rear. So with all of this I have a couple questions.....first.... Is the 571/572 combo the best choice for a carpet track that will probably never see a higher temp then 20 degrees C. Should I switch to a softer compound Pit like the 575 or 579? Are Pits really all that good? Have I waisted 50 bucks on tires that will not serve a purpose? Anyway.....I'm a little confused please help
Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Are the Tamiya tires the ones marked TCS on the sidewall?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Stick with the 71/72 combo on your cool track.

Sauce full rear, inside front halves.

Learn to drive hard without scrubbing your fronts and be stoked you arnt fighting tracking rolls.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Tamiya tires are not marked TCS on the side wall they just say Tamiya.....and tommy easier said than done....not sure that front scub is the issue....I have a tun of steering, the Tamiyas push I little bit but the Pit 571s hook up great......it just seems odd to me that a hard tire (572) should work in the rear on a cold track........I would love to see them in action from someone that has had them working good.......the other thing is rubber F1 is new to me so I am not completely sure I know what to expect.....I think for now I will stick to the Tamiya tires as my lap times are better at least until I can see Pits work at our track.....softer compound = more grip? No? Still confused......!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Tech Champion

Running the diff loose is actually going to make the car more loose in the corners off throttle. Running the diff too tight makes it push off throttle but breaks traction on throttle. So you are better off setting the diff right and not using it to try and compensate for handling.

The Pit tires may say hard rear and soft front...but the compounds are different front to rear so the hard rear tire is actually softer than the soft front tire. It is just harder in relation to the other rear tires.

What is the rest of your setup? What front spring are you using? What rear center spring?, What side springs? What weight oil are you running in the damper tube or side shock? Are you putting any oil on the front king pins? What is your ride heights front and rear? All these make a difference in how the car handles. Before we can suggest what to do we need to know where you are starting.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What kind of carpet is this? Every time I have tried the tamiya non-pit tires they pick up carpet fibers and become undrivable.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

26 year old ozite it's red in colour....well kinda red
Old 09-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Shaun B22
Tamiya tires are not marked TCS on the side wall they just say Tamiya.....and tommy easier said than done....not sure that front scub is the issue....I have a tun of steering, the Tamiyas push I little bit but the Pit 571s hook up great......it just seems odd to me that a hard tire (572) should work in the rear on a cold track........I would love to see them in action from someone that has had them working good.......the other thing is rubber F1 is new to me so I am not completely sure I know what to expect.....I think for now I will stick to the Tamiya tires as my lap times are better at least until I can see Pits work at our track.....softer compound = more grip? No? Still confused......!
Tamiya tires are marked with TCS on the sides not Tamiya

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=4382

Here is a vid of 71/72 combo on carpet

silver car P2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtnB_UEHuck
Old 09-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
What is the rest of your setup? What front spring are you using? What rear center spring?, What side springs? What weight oil are you running in the damper tube or side shock? Are you putting any oil on the front king pins? What is your ride heights front and rear? All these make a difference in how the car handles. Before we can suggest what to do we need to know where you are starting.
+1
AND, what body and wing are you using? If it's the F2012 front wing, then that's 99.9999% of your problem.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Tamiya tires are marked with TCS on the sides not Tamiya

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=4382

Here is a vid of 71/72 combo on carpet

silver car P2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtnB_UEHuck
The kit tires say "Tamiya" on the sidewall.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

I presume the tyres are new? On carpet I found it takes a while for Pits to start working as the tyres have to be scrubbed in. they aren't like touring car tyres that you put a new set on for instant grip but they've lost their edge after a handful of races, F1 tyres need some running in to get them working.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

This sounds like a strange situation. 25 year old red carpet is unusual. Kit tires working on carpet is also unusual, especially if they work better than pits.

Do the touring car guys have problems with traction? What tires do they run? Are there enough cars to groove up the carpet?

Something seems out of place but not being there it's hard to put a finger on it.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
+1
AND, what body and wing are you using? If it's the F2012 front wing, then that's 99.9999% of your problem.
What wing do people run?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

the pit tires wording hard etc refers to the sidewalls not the compound
Old 09-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
What wing do people run?
F60 and Mclaren, usually. You can use the lower part of the Mclaren wing with the upper part of the 2012 wing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.