R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   GT12 Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/837850-gt12-racing.html)

liljohn1064 09-22-2014 08:51 AM

GT12 Racing

The BRCA rules can be found here. It is not a national class in the US, yet.

We will be trying the GT12 class in Madison, WI @ MARCCA this fall. There are technically 2 classes, but as the rules state: if there are less than 20 entries they run together sorted by qualifying times.

The 2 classes are GT12 Super Cup and GT12 Production Cup. Most if not all of us are going to set up for GT12 Super Cup (13.5 1S blinky with diff allowed). We've been making a lot of noise in the SupaStox thread as that seams to be the preferred chassis, but the class also allows Mardave and TIC cars. Rumor has it that Zen Racing will also have a chassis soon. Our club will also allow 21.5 2S to start with a change to straight 1S at some point.

Just so everyone knows what the costs are like, the chassis with tires must sell for less than 100 British Pounds (163.00 at this moment). If you haven't had a look please check out the SupaStox thread. You need a painted body, electronics and you're set to race. The diff makes rear tire wear very low.

The bodies are very realistic as are the tire widths and diameters making this not just a great racing class, but one that is fun to watch.

liljohn1064 09-22-2014 10:05 AM

Anyone have a timing setting for 13.5 1S on a Turnigy Trackstar?

celt 09-22-2014 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 (Post 13549732)

All the way up...grind...up some more.

liljohn1064 09-22-2014 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by celt (Post 13550226)
All the way up...grind...up some more.

Nice! I did find a post saying that max timing is roughly 40*. I think there is enough motor there to keep up with the rabble.

liljohn1064 09-23-2014 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by celt (Post 13551536)
Can someone from the UK, who knows these things, comment on the various classes run with the Mardave/SupaStox I keep reading about?

GT12 - I know what that is and what the rules are.

Bangers - no idea.

HotRods - no idea.

Saloon Stox - no idea.

Transferred from the SupaStox thread. ;)

SlowerOne 09-23-2014 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 (Post 13549732)

Don't turn it right up! These cars weigh 950g, or about 30% more than a 12th car. Go as high as you can without giving the motor a caning, and make absolutely sure the motor peaks out half way down the straight.

It is all too easy with these cars to wind them up and think they are going fast, when in fact all you are doing is piling heat into the motor. They have to be geared down in order for all that weight to be accelerated promptly and the motor to peak out on the straight. HTH :)

liljohn1064 09-23-2014 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by SlowerOne (Post 13552468)
Don't turn it right up! These cars weigh 950g, or about 30% more than a 12th car. Go as high as you can without giving the motor a caning, and make absolutely sure the motor peaks out half way down the straight.

It is all too easy with these cars to wind them up and think they are going fast, when in fact all you are doing is piling heat into the motor. They have to be geared down in order for all that weight to be accelerated promptly and the motor to peak out on the straight. HTH :)

I was thinking about setting rollout to 75mm and adding 1 timing mark at a time. I have the motor checker with, but even with a slave I'm not sure I'm getting real results when I tune the motor for 1S. I would think efficiency is efficiency at reduced input voltage. I'm replacing my Z3R as I'm trying to prove a point about cheap club racing.

OrganicMechanic 09-23-2014 07:50 PM

I started collecting parts today for the supastox to run GT12. Picked up four 13.5T motors in a cheap package deal: 1 used- Reedy, 1 used- LRP, 1 new/ 1 used- certified 5% D3.5s w/ 2 extra tuning rotors. I already have 2 Speedpower 6500mah 70c 1S lipos. Ordering a Trackstar GenII 120A 1S ESC soon, kind of annoying that the program card is only available from China...

I'm assuming MARCCA racers don't need to worry about the BRCA approval lists:
motor list
http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.o...0v6%20pdf1.pdf
battery list
http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.o...14%29%20v4.pdf

liljohn1064 09-23-2014 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic (Post 13553236)
I started collecting parts today for the supastox to run GT12. Picked up four 13.5T motors in a cheap package deal: 1 used- Reedy, 1 used- LRP, 1 new/ 1 used- certified 5% D3.5s w/ 2 extra tuning rotors. I already have 2 Speedpower 6500mah 70c 1S lipos. Ordering a Trackstar GenII 120A 1S ESC soon, kind of annoying that the program card is only available from China...

I'm assuming MARCCA racers don't need to worry about the BRCA approval lists:
motor list
http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.o...0v6%20pdf1.pdf
battery list
http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.o...14%29%20v4.pdf

If you think it's still in good sportsmanship, it should be alright.

celt 09-24-2014 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 (Post 13553447)

Nice second chassis John...seems to go just fine.

OrganicMechanic 09-24-2014 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 (Post 13553447)

Well the batteries are on the approved list at least.

The wife will be piloting the supastox, so it will be turned down to her comfort level. So the D3.5s shouldn't be a problem. I can't pass up a good deal when I find one, especially on my budget. I could put the Reedy Sonic in considering it's on the approved list, but it has a full season on it... Compared to the D3.5s were one is new, and the other only has Snow Birds on it in a 1/12th scale...

liljohn1064 09-24-2014 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic (Post 13553912)
Well the batteries are on the approved list at least.

The wife will be piloting the supastox, so it will be turned down to her comfort level. So the D3.5s shouldn't be a problem. I can't pass up a good deal when I find one, especially on my budget. I could put the Reedy Sonic in considering it's on the approved list, but it has a full season on it... Compared to the D3.5s were one is new, and the other only has Snow Birds on it in a 1/12th scale...

The Sonic should be too. Tear it apart, clean the bearings and it's good as new.

Third chassis in the works, full upgrades and diff. Comes with an unpainted G903 (Audi) body.

liljohn1064 09-24-2014 10:22 AM

Last night I ran car 2 for the first time. Trackstar/Turnigy electronics and motor were very quick. A few quick tests on the motor checker to get the timing better and one gear change and off it went. Very quick on the straight! Came off at 117* after 8 or 9 minutes of nose to tail running with celt's car. I was not driving as my trigger finger may be broken, so thanks to Tazio Nuvolari for stepping in.

OrganicMechanic 09-24-2014 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 (Post 13554226)
The Sonic should be too. Tear it apart, clean the bearings and it's good as new.

Third chassis in the works, full upgrades and diff. Comes with an unpainted G903 (Audi) body.

I may do that to the Sonic, she doesn't need anything faster then that anyhow. So at what point does a motor need to be retired? any obvious signs? I recall reading somewhere about the magnets weakening with age or something like that?

Third chassis, nice! So you now have 3 supastox and Stan has 2 right?

If anyone comes across a used supastox for a decent price and doesn't want it let me know! I haven't bought a kit yet... try'n to do this on the cheap.

celt 09-24-2014 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic (Post 13554293)
I may do that to the Sonic, she doesn't need anything faster then that anyhow. So at what point does a motor need to be retired? any obvious signs? I recall reading somewhere about the magnets weakening with age or something like that?

Third chassis, nice! So you now have 3 supastox and Stan has 2 right?

If anyone comes across a used supastox for a decent price and doesn't want it let me know! I haven't bought a kit yet... try'n to do this on the cheap.

Don't have my second yet...