Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sub $300 car: which is better quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:05 AM
Tech Addict

Default sub $300 car: which is better quality

sorry guys, its another please help me choose question.

Basicly, i sold my Xray T3 2 years back & now want to get back into things
Which of these is the better quality ?? All cost less than $300
Parts isnt an issue, as everything is 2 weeks away via the internet , except the RGT-R2 Pro , not sure about parts for that.
Im sort of learning towards either the CSO or the TOP . Is the Top a step above the others in quality ?

Am I setting myself up for a massive disappointment after years of Xrays ? They are sub $300 cars after all.
Almost forget, I'll be racing 21.5T outdoor low traction.

in order of price
Durango DETC410 $238
RGT-R2 Pro $238
cso one V2 $265
top sabre S4 $290

The CSO I can use some of my old xray diffs
The sabre I dont like the layshaft design, 2 plastic pullies sandwiching the spur .
The RGT-R2 Pro may just be a pain to get parts compared to the others.

Cheers
Old 09-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The CSO-One may be the best bang for the buck. It is a very good T4 clone with a lot of aluminum parts included.

I run a Team C TC10, which is a rebranded CSO-One, and I am really happy with it.

Good Luck.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

Xray should be releasing a new kit soon. When they do ebay will be flooded with 14' t4 ' s for around $300.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Why not buy a well cared for used top brand car instead of a new "discount" car.

I have personally bought a brand new Tamiya TRF418 and a used, well maintained, TRF417V5.

After a month of racing I can't see much difference between the two anyway.

And all the talk about a new fresh car is better than an old beat up car may be true, but I would still go for a used top car.

As suggested here, there should soon be available many Xray T4 '14's for sale, and in the near future Tamiya TRF 418's, as a new 419 is just around the corner.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have the RGT R2 Pro and can comment on the build quality. Having owned brand name cars in the past, it does not compare.

The car comes partly assembled, I took it down into pieces to rebuild it. The hub carriers and knuckles etc needs sanding to fit the bearings properly as the stock fit is way too tight to seat them. Arms have play and needs to be CA glued to tighten up. Holes on one of toe blocks are slightly misaligned with the chassis holes. Things like that.

Basically you get what you paid for (cant comment on other 'discount' cars). People have success racing them but you need to put in the work to make sure it's built right.

As for parts, I've read that it shares some with the Xray since its also based upon it.

I used to have a TOP Photon. The quality is better, but still not on par with top names. Not sure about current products though.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1101
sorry guys, its another please help me choose question.

Basicly, i sold my Xray T3 2 years back & now want to get back into things
Which of these is the better quality ?? All cost less than $300
Parts isnt an issue, as everything is 2 weeks away via the internet , except the RGT-R2 Pro , not sure about parts for that.
Im sort of learning towards either the CSO or the TOP . Is the Top a step above the others in quality ?

Am I setting myself up for a massive disappointment after years of Xrays ? They are sub $300 cars after all.
Almost forget, I'll be racing 21.5T outdoor low traction.

in order of price
Durango DETC410 $238
RGT-R2 Pro $238
cso one V2 $265
top sabre S4 $290

The CSO I can use some of my old xray diffs
The sabre I dont like the layshaft design, 2 plastic pullies sandwiching the spur .
The RGT-R2 Pro may just be a pain to get parts compared to the others.

Cheers
Isn't The Durango a $450 kit?

I've only seen two (one that a local guy had, Travis Amezcula pitted next to me at the Reedy race), both were super nice.

I'm a Tamiya guy so that's what I'd do, but if I wasn't, I'd buy the Durango.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just get a spec r. Parts are cheap and easy to get. If you can't for some reason find a part, use an xray part.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why not buy a well cared for used top brand car instead of a new "discount" car.
+1

By the way I run an Ofna/Habao H4 which was just at the $300 price point. Excellent quality in my opinion and top competitive contender. Not sure if your interested.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

The RGT R2 pro spec is killing it locally.

You could wait for Xray to release the 2015 / next kit and pick up a T4 '14 cheap. Guaranteed that as soon as they put a new car out the FS thread will be flooded with '14's .
Old 09-20-2014, 10:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am in a similar situation. I have raced off road for a while, but want to get into 17.5 touring car. I'm considering a $200 bargain kit or a $200 well maintained used roller. Right now I'm only looking at t3/4 and tc6.1/6.2. Anything else I should consider?
Old 09-21-2014, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

Yokomo BD7 RS.

Best value for money, new, competitive, top tier manufacturer, parts aplenty, just under 200 $ ex HK, leaves headroom for a front alloy spool and DCJ shafts.