R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   run in a used motor (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/83637-run-used-motor.html)

noobie 09-10-2005 12:16 PM

run in a used motor

hi i am new to electrics, i heard someone at the track talk about dipping the motor in water and running it...

well i have already ran my 540sport tuned motor in my car for about 1 hour.... is there any benifit if i do the dipping technique now?

i was told basically dipp the motor in water with 4.8v power for about 2-3minutes... anything else?

thanks for any advice

cheers

rcnewb2004 09-10-2005 01:20 PM

I am also a newb, unfamiliar w/ the dipping technique.

But I think if you do not know what you are doing, water is not the best thing for motors. I do not think anything anything will short circuit, but certainly, rusting maybe a factor.

I run in my motor at 2.4 volts for 3-5 minutes. Works well enough.

hpipro321 09-10-2005 02:09 PM

dipping in SALT water for 10 min on a 2.0 volt break in is for mabuchi motors ( tamiya stocks)

brooksy 09-11-2005 12:07 PM

I clean my motors after every meeting with water and a very,very small drop of washing up liquid for 2-3 minutes with short burst of throttle(pinion off).Once dry i re oil bearings and left ready for next meeting

burgboyz 09-11-2005 12:21 PM

water and motors?????

Forget the water and use a few bursts of motor spray after every run to stay fast and prolong the life of your brushes between comm cuts!! :nod: :nod:

trf racer 09-11-2005 12:29 PM

i use,a secret cobo of 5% tyre tweak 2000,45%water 20% alchol,10%washing liuid,20%super glue[has to be the medium version].
put your mototr in this secret blend at 9v for an hour then take it out,leave to cool,for 45mins,then put it on your dyno,watch those amps increase,lol.joke

burbs 09-11-2005 04:59 PM

water will not cause them to rust in any way.. it works on the old closed mabuchi style motors.. the water puts a load on the armature, and helps seat the brushes.. As long as you spray it out and lube it again, it will not rust...

rcnewb2004 09-11-2005 06:41 PM

My point exactly, if you don't know what you are doing, rusting metal components in a motor is easy. Like using cold water and leaving to dry etc. Proper lubing and motor spraying to remove moisture is essential.

baih 09-11-2005 06:47 PM

the airplane guys break in their motors this way. you have to use a battery pack and it wont short out. the airplane motors have closed endbells.

Ben.C 09-11-2005 08:13 PM

Basically,running in the motor in the water will seat in the brushes more quickly then normal break in.As the water act as a load and it keeps your motor cool during break in.And thus higher voltage can be used,eg 4.8Vs.Also keeps arching which is bad for the comm.Then in between breakin,you should frequently check the state of the brushes by looking thruough the openings against some light.When the brushes are seated fully or almost fully,you're done.

Just be sure to dry out the motor and oil the bushings.

merc-blue 09-11-2005 08:28 PM

the best suggestion i can offer is just leave it the brushes will naturaly seat them selves over time run in makes it easy to damage just a few shots with motor spray on the comm and relube the bearings also comm drops are handy (i use zubaks) i found most others arent anything special

DIMO 09-11-2005 09:22 PM

Ice Ice

Get some reallllllly cold water with ice in it so ice water

Conect the 540 motor straight upto a battery pack.. and let it rev/run in the icey water for 15 mins, pull it out spray the motor with motor spray and re-lube the bushings

ANother trick ive heard is running the motors in Brasso,(Brass Polish) but ive never seen it..

Ben.C 09-11-2005 11:31 PM

I've also heard of the brasso method.I've heard of this formula before,using 10 part Benzine(The same alcohol type substain),1 part brasso and 1 part heavy oil(maybe your engine oil and I mean for your full size car),cause benzine is very flamable.So the oil is to supress the combustion.

Then after the run in,drop 1 drop of olive oil to your comm.Yes! Olive oil that your mama use to cook food with...

I've never tried this method before,but heard its very good.